US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Mehta sided with the House Oversight and Reform committee in regards to Mazars handing over Trumps financials. So that's finally coming... Right?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They'll appeal.

3. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

100%. The main thing was that Mehta didn't grant put a hold on the order PENDING appeal, so the appeals court is going to have to move quickly if they're going to block this.

4. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Not to derail, just a side-thought; I can't help but wonder if all the sleaziness around Trump is so easily ignored by the religious extremists within his base simply because they are finally gaining ground in controlling women's bodily autonomy. Perhaps worth another thread, as I see this going in a pretty dark direction for the States, and I worry about the implications in other western nations, that so far have had pretty strong legal, constitutional safeguards against theological and populist overreach.

5. MaxOfMetal

It's extremists on all ends, not just the religious.

He's the GOP's perfect President. He's who they've always wanted to be in that seat, but were just too afraid to run till now.

JoshuaVonFlash and zappatton2 like this.
  6. Ralyks

What's the likelihood of success in appealing?

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, this is going to the Supreme Court, even if the order is followed before it can be appealed that far. There? Eh... I'd hazard Roberts won't love being the swing vote on a decision that essentially sets the precedent the Presidency is free from the supervisory powers of the House and Senate, and when push comes to shove the current ruling will stand, even if by a 5-4 vote. I'd say that with a moderate but not extreme level of confidence. I wouldn't go so far as to call this a hail mary on the part of the Trump administration, but it's unquestionably stalling for time and hoping they can delay anything embarrassing or incriminating coming out long enough to continue to call this a witch hunt coming into the 2020 election.

The rationale is pretty bulletproof, though - how can Congress possibly have Constitutional authority to investigate wronging in the executive branch, without also having the authority to gather information for those investigations?

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  8. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Remember when US politics threads were mostly complaints about policy and not just treason?

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

While I don't agree with the concept, if it saves money vs paying for emergency services and births anyway (which CA does anyway)...then there's at least a perspective (as short-sighted as it is) that has at least some baseline thinking behind it.

11. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I suppose if you wanted to look at it that way then yeah it makes sense, but its still just a cart before the horse/bandaid on the problem

12. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I remember some, but only running up to the 2008 election and maybe extending though his first year in office. His general ineffectiveness soured people pretty quickly after that.

13. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

14. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think even Obama's staunchest supporters were quick to point out issues they had with him - I was broadly positive on the guy, but found his hands-off approach to the drafting of the ACA (rather than taking an active role working within the party to shape a compromise) followed by his aggressive use of executive power once Congress flipped a little concerning.

Re: California, if extending access to health coverage to undocumented immigrants results in a lesser economic burden to California taxpayers than waiting to absorb cost of care at (primarily public) hospitals as well as the cost from lower productivity from lost time out of work to illness or injury - remember that hospitals are not able to turn away people who require care regardless of if they have coverage or any means to pay - then the right thing for congressional representatives to do with respect to citizens of the Republic of California is to extend coverage. That's true regardless of what your personal beliefs are with respect to immigration - if it saves taxpayers money, not doing it is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You legitimately may not know this, but "globalists" is a pretty naked dog-whistle for "Jews" among the white nationalism movement.

wannabguitarist and StevenC like this.
  16. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I think what you are trying to assume is that anyone who is aginst globalism is a "white, nationalist", and anyone who is a "white, nationalist", thinks that jews run the world. Is that correct?

Im not sure where you are getting that from or what you're basing that on but there's idiots on all sides regardless if your non-point makes any sense or not. Btw, I'm not calling you an idiot

17. MaxOfMetal

Again, single payer healthcare isn't some abstract concept outside of reality.

It's something offered in almost three dozen countries already. That includes just about all the developed world.

We don't need to speculate. We've seen, in the real world, that it works.

We actually have fewer doctors per capita than countries with single payer: https://www.healthsystemtracker.org...ople-comparably-wealthy-countries/#item-start

zappatton2 likes this.
  18. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Who has seen it that it works? Also, its not 2012 anymore. If it works thats great, I dont want that system though. I want the current system we have, it just needs to somehow be made more affordable, not at the expense of everyone else

19. Ralyks

Given what I've seen with my immediate family all being in healthcare, good luck with that. My father runs his own practice and he's lucky if he even gets paid on time. The current health Care system is in shambles.

Ordacleaphobia and StevenC like this.
  20. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I agree it is. Still I dont want universal healthcare. To each their own....ironically, it wont be "to each their own" with socialized healthcare. It'll be "to each to the whole community", like it or not. :lol: