US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

'“And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll give that a shot some day,”'
    Yeah this is legit how dictatorships start. We should be marching in the streets daily until our congress acts to impeach Trump. We're far too complacent despite red flag after red flag staring into our faces.

2. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

So is it going to be everybody else vs China, Russia and the U.S?

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm honestly surprised this isn't getting more media attention than it did - the Economist did a long piece on it last week, basically arguing that this officially ended the West's belief that China would move towards classically-liberal market democracy. This is really a formal move back to authoritarianism.

My money says the EU against China, Russia, and possibly the US, if Trump doesn't get his shit together and remember that his ultimate loyalties as the President lie with the country, and not his own bottom line.

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I'm much amused by reporting in today's Wall Street Journal (sorry, behind a paywall) that Trump's lawyer Cohen, who paid Stormy Daniels himself in order to have the payment be legal (instead of a crime), then complained to friend that Cohen was angry that Trump hadn't then paid Cohen back for the $130,000 payment.

Given that Trump illegally used campaign funds and donations to his foundation for other purposes, Trump was likely to have done the same on this payment.

In other words, Cohen seemed to have been saved from being an accomplice to a crime by the fact that his client Trump stiffed him. *laugh*

5. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Quick thoughts about this Sam Nunberg shambles:

If he's a) on antidepressants and b) drinking on them... from unpleasant personal experience it can make you do all sorts of crazy.

Now, this doesn't mean lying, more of a case of it completely screws up your filtering and you can end up saying all sorts of stuff that you'll usually keep to yourself, plus possibly aggravate any self-destructive tendencies that might be pushing against. This gets worse under pressure.

So if Nunberg is on psychoactive meds and drinking, then getting dumped on by Mueller (and Trump's team) may well fire up his I DON'T GIVE A FRANK gland and his urge to justify himself publicly.

The fact that he's a scion of Roger Stone, so therefore almost certainly a total scumbag himself, makes this amusing but I am a bit uncomfortable with it.

In my case it was escitalopram. Drinking on that lost me a number of friends, plus I ended up in some weird situations (at least one of which directly life-threatening).

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think it's a savvy move.

I can't speak to the strength of the case and whether or not there's any merit to it, so there's a chance the whole thing will get tossed. But if it doesn't... Well, for one, A nondisclosure agreement is now part of the public record as Exhibit 1 of this lawsuit. Trump can make it go away easily enough if he just signs the NDA... But, if he does so, he's implicitly admitting that the NDA signed under pseudonyms was, in fact, him, and that her story is valid. If he doesn't sign it, he can continue to claim that she's lying and no NDA exists, and I expect that's what he'll do... But, if the suit has enough merit to move forward, then he'll have to testify under oath, and he already made time for the Trump University lawsuit settlement so he'll have a hard time arguing he's too busy as the President to face this suit.

I understand there's also a period during which she can continue to add allegations to the suit, so this could very well be a first move as part of a longer plan.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

She's going to make a fortune telling the story, writing a book. This is to preempt any injunction that could stop that.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Actually, as it happens, it's in response to a restraining order forbidding her from doing so. I like this move even more. :lol:

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

@Drew, didn't you hear, though, the House Committee decided that Trump's campaign was innocent of any collusion. End of story, close the book, and move on. No further questions. Do not question their authoritah!

Trump said Tillerson was fired over differences in opinion over Iran, so obviously, it was over Iran, and not anything that came up more recently (last I saw any mention of Iran by the Trump administration before today was in October or so).

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Technically, the Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee decided he was innocent of collusion, but we all know the Democrats were just on a witch hunt anyway.

JoshuaVonFlash and bostjan like this.
  12. bostjan

Yeah, because the Republicans also determined that to be the case.

They also determined the value of pi to be 3.2 and the square root of two to be 10/7 while they were at it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill

[/sarcasm]

This could genuinely mark the beginning of the end of the GOP if the rug gets pulled out from under all of this, which I wouldn't think would be too difficult. Once you start trying to legislate facts in and out of existence, there is no way not to raise the collective eyebrows of the people. The investigation into this is ongoing...the conclusion at this point, one way or the other, is just plain stupid. Even if the House Republicans know something no one else knows, including the FBI, they ought to wait until they can back up the statement. I really don't see how this will help any of the Republicans during the mid term elections.

13. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

About the UK-Russia thing, we just found another "former resident" of Putin's strangled. Seems like they're cleaning house, this should be taken more seriously than the RT followers are allowing it to be.

JoshuaVonFlash likes this.
  14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You don't say.

/dry sarcasm.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Larry Kudlow is an idiot, a textbook supply-sider, and a Trump apologist. The one silver lining of this is he annoys the piss out of me, and he'll probably spend less time on CNBC so I'll have to listen to him a little less now that he's in the Trump Administration, instead of bolstering them from the outside. :lol:

He also, back in the 90s, had a $100,000-a-month coke habit, so there's that. :lol:

16. Unslaved

Unslaved SS.org Regular

It looks like I've stumbled upon the dark corner of the web in this forum. :p

Judging by the title of this thread, and by the very fact its still ongoing, that some of you folks are still in disbelief and/or denial that Trump did in fact really did "get there".

jaxadam and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  17. bostjan

Absolutely. 191 pages, and unless it gets locked, it'll likely go 100 more pages.

18. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Important to note that the "there" in the title has effectively shifted post-election from meaning "the presidency" to "impeachment and/or prison".

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Nah, it's morphed into a thread where we, pop corn in hand, enjoy the front row seats to the dumpster fire that the Trump Administration proved to be. :lol:

Dcm81 and zappatton2 like this.
  20. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

What?! How? Was coke more expensive in the 90s? Jesus Christ that's absurd :lol: