US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

So, what you say is correct only as it applies to the UN Security Council, not to the UN in general, where the investigation and hearing would take place. Let's not confuse the UNSC with the UN General Assembly.

2. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

^^^ The Security Council is the only UN body that can issue binding resolutions on member states. General Assembly resolutions are non-binding. You'll also note that the language around the "Uniting for Peace" option is all speculative - it's an interpretation of the Charter, and one that's never been tested.

3. bostjan

But the UNGA can over-ride a UNSC resolution as quoted above. That's all I was trying to say before.

Anyway, if your point is that the UN is too slow and too spineless to do anything about Russia, maybe Trump is playing his cards right anyway, since they won't do anything about the USA, either. I guess the USA's international prestige is pretty much sunk to the bottom of the toilet bowl at any rate, so there is no need to try to save face or act according to protocol. Might as well unleash Trump on the rest of the world in the form of cruise missiles and smartbombs, heck, take care of Somali pirates, too, with torpedoes and sea to sea missiles and rail guns and MIRV's. We have all of this stuff to blow up other stuff, just sitting around. What about North Korea? Oh, we haven't gotten to our collection of ICBM's yet...

I mean, I really hope it never comes to that. And you can argue about how the USA is the last remaining 20th century superpower overlord, but that doesn't mean that we have to go and police everyone. Shaq is a huge dude, but that doesn't mean that I should run to him if someone bigger than me is picking on me.

...phew, well, regardless of what is right and what is wrong, what's done is done, and probably, launching 50 missiles at Homs is just a drop in the bucket. I just really hope Trump doesn't bush our military out to Syria.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

This is funny, because not dragging the US into a vietnam-ish situation and/or getting us into a warmongering game of chicken with Russia was literally the only positive I thought he had over Hillary. GOOD TIMES

5. gunch

gunch chungus

Yeah remember all those tweets lmao

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

"but her emails."

:lol:

:(

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Ignoring all the UN procedural stuff that follows which I don't feel qualified to critique....

The other major issue with your argument is I have yet to see any evidence that Trump HAS a "long game" necessary to set something like this in motion that would take a year or two to unfold. Clinton, sure, this is way more her style. Trump doesn't have the short term self control necessary to engage in the a sort of boring staid, long-term diplomacy necessary to get Russia ostracized at the UN for aiding and abetting war criminals.

I honestly think some sort of retaliation was not a bad decision here. I just think we probably could have done a lot more to lay the groundwork before we did anything, to mitigate some of the second and third order effects we now will have to contend with.

8. bostjan

Of course he doesn't have a long game, but I can still carry the deluded hope it hasn't all gone to pot, right?

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'll drink to that. *raises beer*

10. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

This is way too much playing World Police for my tastes. Strip away the supposed emotional gratification of "The Syrian government- f*ck those guys anyway, amirite?!" and you realize that an administration with very little moral high-ground ordered the bombing of a military installation of a sovereign nation with obviously very little forethought. That's not the US' first rodeo of actions like this, but it seemed like after Iraq II- when the absence of yellowcake was re-spun into "The Iraqi government- f*ck those guys anyway, amirite?!" too- both sides of the aisle seemed resolute that we'd think before we act.

But here we go, anyway. With military action, it always draws a "what's next- let's see the endgame" from the public so the administration has their misdirection for however long they want to play it. Sean Spicer is probably practicing his "WE'RE AT WAR" bellow for the press corp as I type this.

EDIT: o hai guys http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/08/middleeast/syria-strikes-russia-donald-trump/index.html

11. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

12. bostjan

Anyone know if the claims are true that Trump has already spent $24 million (US) on vacations, so far? ( source )

On top of that, the added security at Trump Tower is $410k (US) per day.

And now heightened possibilities of war in both Syria and N. Korea. :noplease:

I honestly wanted to see him prove the nay-sayers wrong, but he's just been an extreme hypocrite, so far. Nothing he promised seems to be getting done, and just about everything we feared is coming into place.

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

He's apparently up to 15 of those $3M golf trips now in 11 weeks.

14. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

15. bostjan

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

FiveThirtyEight ran, as one of their Significant Digits, $24mm, yesterday. That's what Trump has spent (using taxpayer money) to travel to Trump-branded properties in the first 10 weeks of his term. For contrast, they note that Obama spent about $97mm for all travel, across the entire 8 years he served, for an average of $12 million a year.

Trump has spent DOUBLE what Obama did in an average year, in ten weeks, just going to places he owns.

:wallbash:

Spicer's comments were a stupendously bad faux pas, as was his recovery - that he misspoke and that he'd hate it if his accidental word choice distracted from the valuable work Trump is doing destabilizing the middle east.

Meanwhile, so, how do you conservatives still feel about Putin? :lol:

17. bostjan

Just 10 or 15 minutes ago, Trump said that foreign relations with Russia were at an "all time low." I'm hoping this is just his typical hyperbole.

Jeez, the one thing I thought Trump would be good about was relations with Russia, and that's even turned into a cluster.

Is there any silver lining? Hmm, well, at least Hitler never used chemical weapons, anymore... :scratch: :nuts:

Trump needs to get his act together, stop tweeting about stupid ...., and start using his head for more than just a giant orange peg to hold his ugly toupee. The entire chemical weapons thing is looking like Iraqi yellow cake uranium redux. Sadly, if the choice comes down to admitting a mistake and losing political capital or standing firm on a naked lie and causing WWIII, I don't think Trump would even deliberate before pressing the big red button. As we discussed before, hopefully our military officers are capable of doing what's right for planet Earth.

18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

ok guys. you had your little experiment with putting an inexperienced , illiterate fool into power. Power to you . Shake up that system , but now he is jeopardizing the safety of my family and loved ones on the other side of the world.

can you just band together and get him kicked out now before he kills us all ?

19. bostjan

So, you were correct that Russia would use its veto. They even surprised me by vetoing the UNSC resolution to investigate the poison gas incident from last week.

They vetoed the investigation.

I suspected that they would veto sanctions, but this move seems extra sketchy, no?

So Russia has shown their true colours already in this matter. I think that the UNGA should already have reason to suspect that the Russians are not out for a fair deal.

In other news, a US-led attack on Deir el-Zour has been reported to have hit a weapons cache and released mustard gas.

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Dude, a majority of American voters didn't even vote for him. We don't like it either. Best case scenario may be that he actually pisses off Putin enough to leak something proving collusion in the election, and we get to impeach him (though so far US journalists are doing a good job slowly peeling back the onion and exposing more and more levels of connection)