US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
American is too lazy to go fascist. We will never have the trains running on time.
Fascism doesn't require competency or efficiency. Just look at North Korea. I suspect if we go full fascist, for those white and straight among us, it's just going to result in our lives getting worse at a slightly faster clip than before in terms of things like education and environmental regulation getting less and less attention and medicare getting worse and worse. With the occasional big shock, like abortion rights going away.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Fascism doesn't require competency or efficiency. Just look at North Korea. I suspect if we go full fascist, for those white and straight among us, it's just going to result in our lives getting worse at a slightly faster clip than before in terms of things like education and environmental regulation getting less and less attention and medicare getting worse and worse. With the occasional big shock, like abortion rights going away.
Fun fact - North Korea in the 1950's was actually way more economically successful than South Korea. The people there were initially ready to put in the work to make their form of government the best example of communism possible. But, just like how the early USSR was better off than Tsarist Russia, but then Stalin stifled progress, Kim Il-Sung was more interested in setting up a dynasty of nasties than long term success of the nation.

Fascism is surprisingly difficult to pin down, ideologically. But, the one thing historians mostly agree upon, is that fascists were fanatically devoted to their goals.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess time will tell, but I think it's just likely enough to warrant one very and not two. :lol: ... :(
I dunno, man. If you follow any of the analysis of the Jan 6th bullshit spew, um, I mean, hearings, apparently this is all gonna amount to a fart in the wind by the time it's done. I get that we need to have our ducks in a row on something like this, but with all the information available publicly to show, "Um, yep, that was not just stupid and reckless, but pretty much textbook definition illegal," we're still stuck in first gear going, "Well, maybe, if you squint just right with the sun in your eyes. . ."

There are very few people in this world that I truly despise, but if that fucker doesn't go to prison, there's a good chance he'll fling his dildo in the ring again. And if he's elected, we're done pretending to be a democratic republic. Hell, we might be done with that anyway in the next two to six years.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only thing that can prevent it is going to be an absolute tidal wave of democrats both in these upcoming midterms and the general election. We're done for at least a while if that doesn't happen. And I definitely wouldn't take a bet that the average voter is going to remember that abortion is now banned in their calculus if gas prices are still high, because the average voter is a total mouth-breathing moron that thinks that we're the only country in the world and that this price shock is 100% controlled by Joe Biden and only punishes the US and is only fixable by US policy.

Ironically I think the main opposing forces here are going to be corporations vs the true believer psychos. Unfortunately the nutballs like Amy Coney Barrett truly believe in trying to force all white women to give birth to try and stem the declining population of whites vs minorities, and will continue voting for any policy that benefits white christians over all (speaking of - today they ruled that public funds can go to explicitly discriminatory Christian schools, essentially negating the separation of church and state). However, a lot of these policies are NOT good for the US economy, and in fact some could be very, very harmful especially if we piss the rest of the world off enough and start getting sanctioned (or, in a much more extreme case, the coastal states secede). If that happens, the corporate overlords that ruled the Republican party the last few decades are going to be in a real spot since their pocketbooks could be really hurt by the forces they've unleashed on the country.

So yeah, we're really in a bad spot, it's going to get worse no matter what thanks to the supreme court having lifetime appointments (unless a meteor hits DC while they're in session), and I think if the next two elections go the way of the republicans and they can codify things like a nationwide abortion ban and more severe voter suppression measures to solidify their minority rule, it's going to get A LOT worse.

Last edited:

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
today they ruled that public funds can go to explicitly discriminatory Christian schools, essentially negating the separation of church and state

We're already there. Check out the history of the Waldorf program. Eugenics, white supremacy, even occult mysticism. Many of these schools are receiving federal funding.

ArtDecade

カシオペア
Reaction score
The only thing that can prevent it is going to be an absolute tidal wave of democrats both in these upcoming midterms and the general election. We're done for at least a while if that doesn't happen. And I definitely wouldn't take a bet that the average voter is going to remember that abortion is now banned in their calculus if gas prices are still high, because the average voter is a total mouth-breathing moron that thinks that we're the only country in the world and that this price shock is 100% controlled by Joe Biden and only punishes the US and only fixable by US policy.

Ironically I think the main opposing forces here are going to be corporations vs the true believer psychos. Unfortunately the nutballs like Amy Coney Barrett truly believe in trying to force all white women to give birth to try and stem the declining population of whites vs minorities, and will continue voting for any policy that benefits white christians over all (speaking of - today they ruled that public funds can go to explicitly discriminatory Christian schools, essentially negating the separation of church and state). However, a lot of these policies are NOT good for the US economy, and in fact some could be very, very harmful especially if we piss the rest of the world off enough and start getting sanctioned (or, in a much more extreme case, the coastal states secede). If that happens, the corporate overlords that ruled the Republican party the last few decades are going to be in a real spot since their pocketbooks could be really hurt by the forces they've unleashed on the country.

So yeah, we're really in a bad spot, it's going to get worse no matter what thanks to the supreme court having lifetime appointments (unless a meteor hits DC while they're in session), and I think if the next two elections go the way of the republicans and they can codify things like a nationwide abortion ban and more severe voter suppression measures to solidify their minority rule, it's going to get A LOT worse.

Hear me out... Maybe the abortion ban is a good thing. Blue States will continue to have abortion. Full stop. The Supreme Court is basically turning it back over to the States and wealthy Republicans will travel to Blue States to get the very abortions they are against. That will mean it will be a time of reckoning in Red States regarding their Republican representatives. Some Red State politicians to move back towards the center because a lot of people are going to be pissed. You might not see Democrats winning elections anytime soon, but you might end up with moderate Republicans again. Maybe... probably not. But I am just spit-balling here.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hear me out... Maybe the abortion ban is a good thing. Blue States will continue to have abortion. Full stop. The Supreme Court is basically turning it back over to the States and wealthy Republicans will travel to Blue States to get the very abortions they are against. That will mean it will be a time of reckoning in Red States regarding their Republican representatives. Some Red State politicians to move back towards the center because a lot of people are going to be pissed. You might not see Democrats winning elections anytime soon, but you might end up with moderate Republicans again. Maybe... probably not. But I am just spit-balling here.
Based on the primary situations lately, I'd say moderate Republicans is about as "nope, not happening" as Jesus himself coming down from heaven, stepping to the podium during a White House Press Conference, smacking Joe Biden across the face and saying, "That's it, bitches. You fucked up enough."

ArtDecade

カシオペア
Reaction score
Based on the primary situations lately, I'd say moderate Republicans is about as "nope, not happening" as Jesus himself coming down from heaven, stepping to the podium during a White House Press Conference, smacking Joe Biden across the face and saying, "That's it, bitches. You fucked up enough."

I hear ya. Right now, it is Republicans versus Democrats. That said, Red States will suffer much more than Blue States if they start overturning things like abortion. Moderate Republicans will provide the counter-weight to Trumpers within Red States. Republicans will have to find candidates that they actually agree with rather than blaming Democrats for everything that is wrong in their lives. LOL.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, if you've seen the documents that the groups who have spearheaded this whole thing are distributing, the overturning of Roe and the majority of the country immediately having illegal abortions (there are a lot of trigger laws like here in WI that have been deactivated for years by Roe V Wade that will all come roaring back into effect immediately - they're already stopping any scheduling of abortions in this state past this week in anticipation) is only phase 1, and the next phase will be attempting to prosecute anyone who even TALKS to a pregnant woman about abortion. Last phase would be a nationwide abortion ban and those rules going nationwide, which I think is EXTREMELY likely if the republicans retake both the house and senate in the midterms.

In the long run it will likely cause a ton of pain and further resentment towards government and already a much larger majority of the country is pro-choice than votes democrat, so I can see what you describe happening. But, it's kind of the supreme court's job to not give a solitary fuck about public opinion, and when they're also religious zealots, I don't see any path towards them not upholding any anti-abortion law passed anywhere by anyone other than the members of the court being given a very personal reason to change their mind. And we already know the republicans also don't give a damn about popularity of individual policies if it won't affect them getting elected, and we already know that when it comes to actual votes that matter, no one on their side in the senate has an actual spine to oppose unpopular policies since Mccain died. Republicans can actually control their members, unlike Democrats, where those two pathetic wastes of life have completely stonewalled any political process because they were bought off by opposing interests.

I wish there'd be public kickstarters to hand them money if they start voting with democrats. I bet it would raise more money than they're currently making from right-wing interests.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ughh, f*ck this year

We had a massive daytime thunderstorm that started beyond the horizon in SoCal. Rolling thunder and triggered car alarms.

...I actually checked twitter and looked outside. Twice. For mushroom clouds.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Shit just got real. State legislatures are going to go crazy.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ROE V WADE OVERTURNED! 6-3 DECISION
Praise the Lord!
This incarnation of the SCOTOS is doing incredible damage that will last for decades to come.

The US is going to be a totally different country before the year is over thanks to them. And I'm afraid it won't be good.

Their reasoning is a bit bananas as "it's not in the original constitution." That puts a whole lot of stuff on the chopping block.