US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

lost_horizon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good things Republicans are voting against legislation to fight back domestic terrorism!
Democrats control all levels of the government, congress, senate and the executive. But they apparently can't pass any laws? Seems legit.

No one is stopping them. The gun lobby does not take away their right to legislate. The stringent gun rules of New York state, multiple red flags and prior arrest did not prevent the Buffalo shooting. The less stringent Texas laws didn't prevent this. It's almost like the rules don't change the result.

Next excuse?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Democrats control all levels of the government, congress, senate and the executive. But they apparently can't pass any laws? Seems legit.

No one is stopping them. The gun lobby does not take away their right to legislate. The stringent gun rules of New York state, multiple red flags and prior arrest did not prevent the Buffalo shooting. The less stringent Texas laws didn't prevent this. It's almost like the rules don't change the result.

Next excuse?

Yea, there's nothing we can do, it's a mental health issue.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sorry, to clarify I mean that the gun industry convincing paranoid low-IQ wannabe tough guys that their freedom is in trouble if a they don't have the ability to easily kill 10 people in 5 minutes is a mental health issue. Like mentally, those people do not have high-functioning brains. And that's on both sides of the fence - there's a non-trivial amount of NRA democrats.

If you've got as many guns as I've got ESP Horizons, you've got a problem. And that's 30% of gun owners in the US.

Still, it's funny to pitch it like republicans aren't the problem just because dems have a majority. If 90% of dems support legislation and 2% of republicans do, then it's the dems fault it doesn't get passed? And thus we come back to the main issue, how do we get people to be smarter?

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Next excuse?

FWIW, the "red flags" of the New York shooter don't count, apparently, because the law was specifically written to exclude general threats, and a judge is only allowed to file a petition if there is a specific threat, to a specific person. Threats towards groups don't count. It also doesn't consider paranoid delusions or all sorts of other...well...what any rational human being would call "red flags".

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What red flags? Can't you like buy automatic weapons on craigslist or something?

EDIT: ok, guess not on craigslist...everywhere else though? And state and local laws don't mean a damn cause you can just drive your lazy ass across one if you're feeling particularly motivated to homicide

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EDIT: ok, guess not on craigslist...everywhere else though? And state and local laws don't mean a damn cause you can just drive your lazy ass across one if you're feeling particularly motivated to homicide

Yeah, something like 30% of all of the weapons used in Chicago crime comes from neighboring states, and something like 10% of those can be traced to two stores in Indiana near the border (I'm sure I've got some of the numbers wrong, but the jist of it is that a substantial portion comes across state lines, and lots of it from specific hot-spots).

Last edited:

lost_horizon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
FWIW, the "red flags" of the New York shooter don't count, apparently, because the law was specifically written to exclude general threats, and a judge is only allowed to file a petition if there is a specific threat, to a specific person. Threats towards groups don't count. It also doesn't consider paranoid delusions or all sorts of other...well...what any rational human being would call "red flags".
Yep so once again Democrat majority at every level in New York. They need to legislate better. Its an 80/20 thing. Simple administrative things on the cause of 90% of mass shootings that would cut it down substantially.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@lost_horizon isn't really wrong. :shrug:

Yes, the GOP are against any gun control, reasonable or otherwise, and yes, they're also against most of the structural changes that could help relieve mental health, but the Dems own this problem too. This isn't a new problem. How many times have they had the opportunity to do something the last 20, 30, 40 years? It's just never been a priority.

Just like they should have legislated abortion access. :2c:

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yes, the GOP are against any gun control, reasonable or otherwise, and yes, they're also against most of the structural changes that could help relieve mental health, but the Dems own this problem too. This isn't a new problem. How many times have they had the opportunity to do something the last 20, 30, 40 years? It's just never been a priority.

"Both sides" (I hate this expression) are wrong, definitely.
Some nuance would lead me to say that one is actively harmful and part of the problem (making it worse); but you can't deny the other is very complacent about it and has not solved anything either.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"Both sides" (I hate this expression) are wrong, definitely.
Some nuance would lead me to say that one is actively harmful and part of the problem; but you can't deny the other is very complacent about it and has not solved anything either.

Pretty much.

Just because Dems are bums here doesn't discount the active courting of the gun nuts by the GOP.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not jumping to any conclusions but Abbott's "handgun and maybe a rifle" felt like kneejerk cover for the seemingly high likelihood this was done with an "assault style" rifle and that would be the first thing people would go for.

Interestingly, AP article I read called them "military style."

idc what anyone says, a rifle that is for assaulting people is an assault rifle just like a pole that is for fishing is a fishing pole. That is to say nothing of my views on gun ownership, but euphemism and semantics have no place in a debate where no matter your perspective, lives are at stake.

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This sums up the events in Texas pretty well
Its from Fred Guttenberg, the father of Jaime Guttenberg, a 14-year-old who was murdered in 2018 during the Parkland school shooting in Florida:
“They fucking failed our kids again.”

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

This is a problem as old as my political awareness, which is sadly pretty old at this point.

Republicans have no problem legislating. They talk a big game, and they sell a big game. And hey, if they happen to fuck you over in the process, they'll laugh in your face and fucking own it.

The Democrats have a HORRIBLE time legislating. There was a time I considered it straight cowardice towards anything deemed "action" on their part. Now I consider it part of the inherent design. The Democrats don't legislate, because deep down they really want exactly the same legislation as the Republicans, but they can't own that shit or the public that considers themselves Democrats would drop them like they deserve. So they pay lip service to the "opposition" of the Republicans, while never actually moving on legislation that might make some of the speculative fiction they call "campaign promises" come true.

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My hot take: Democrats care too much about pleasing everyone, and end up accomplishing next to nothing in the process.

Republicans don't care about anyone but themselves, and their voter base is pleased as punch to see children caged, gay and trans rights assailed, women's rights wrenched away, unarmed black men brutalized and killed, etc. They'll get it done, because they can't fathom a reality where their horrifying policies could be used against "their kind".

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ted Cruz rushing to be like we must protect rights of citizens.

Shit maybe if they did abortions with a gun Republicans would be okay with them.
Now I know where to come when I need a little comic relief

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What red flags? Can't you like buy automatic weapons on craigslist or something?

You need a class 3 full auto license which are very hard to come by. In most cases you need to be an instructor. More fake news from the left

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score