US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I liked your reply and learned from it. Thanks for the thoughtful riposte. Just to be clear, I didn't cry (or write, or sing, or dance, etc) for consequences against Russia. I know there are a lot of posts and separate conversations going on and that you are replying to a lot of people, so no worries there, but don't fake news me, brah!

Edit: just to clarify, I do believe in consequences.

Consequences for the WHITE SUPREMACIST ORANGE RUSSIA POODLE PUPPET WHO IS NOW MY PRESIDENT AS WELL AS HIS ENTIRE ENTOURAGE THAT COMMIT TREASON AND BLATANTLY CAVORT WITH THE ENEMY.

There, I cried for consequences. I just find consequences against Russia irrelevant.

Thanks for calling a spade a spade. I think too many folks are trying too hard to beat around the bush.

If the foundation of the idea here is that Trump is not fit to lead, let's take it that direction. I think it's a more directly debatable argument. If we take the argument through multiple tangential arguments, then no one will care by the time you get to the actual point.

If the CIA really wants to remove Trump from power, they are going to have to either be blatant and bold, or be subtle and sneaky. It seems to me that they are trying to straddle the two positions, and I don't see that working out. I suppose time will ultimately tell.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Thanks for calling a spade a spade. I think too many folks are trying too hard to beat around the bush.

If the foundation of the idea here is that Trump is not fit to lead, let's take it that direction. I think it's a more directly debatable argument. If we take the argument through multiple tangential arguments, then no one will care by the time you get to the actual point.

If the CIA really wants to remove Trump from power, they are going to have to either be blatant and bold, or be subtle and sneaky. It seems to me that they are trying to straddle the two positions, and I don't see that working out. I suppose time will ultimately tell.

As CIA's remit is outside the US's borders they'd need to be sneaky... Would make more sense if the Republican party threw him out themselves, possibly using leaked info but after shouldering him with the blame for whatever unpopular decisions they make now.

It's easy to see them "finally discovering" something hugely illegal in Trump's finances in the near future, but after Jan 20th so the presidency is safe.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
...the USA is an idiot, but the overall level of idiocy is unsustainable long term, so something's going to snap sooner rather than later. Even if it's not this election, I feel that it's coming. Maybe it won't be until Honey Booboo is old enough to run for president... :ugh:

Quote of me wayyy earlier in this thread.

Trump's speech was actually far above my expectations.

We are still totally ....ed, though, well, most likely. :noway:

But yeah, I guess this thread is unequivocally run it's course, as far as the original post is concerned.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Quote of me wayyy earlier in this thread.

Trump's speech was actually far above my expectations.

We are still totally ....ed, though, well, most likely. :noway:

But yeah, I guess this thread is unequivocally run it's course, as far as the original post is concerned.

I like the thread title as a perspective on how far over the odds it took for us to get here, and I think it'll be a good reminder of where we started from, when we start discussing what he'll actually do now that it's his time to govern.

FWIW, I've been a "lets be patient and see" type person with regard to how he's going to be in office, and I thought his speech was fairly well executed and that most people would enjoy it, but I got some very unsettling nationalist undertones from it. :2c:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the thread title as a perspective on how far over the odds it took for us to get here, and I think it'll be a good reminder of where we started from, when we start discussing what he'll actually do now that it's his time to govern.

FWIW, I've been a "lets be patient and see" type person with regard to how he's going to be in office, and I thought his speech was fairly well executed and that most people would enjoy it, but I got some very unsettling nationalist undertones from it. :2c:

"Patriotic," and "nationalistic" are in the thesaurus together. It all depends on whether you look at it from the right or from the left.

pfnco9doyihakldtrp1h.gif

You

þ
Reaction score
Think of the memes that will be conceived in the next 4 years. I believe that the memes will be splendid, if the 2016 election were to indicate.
0e9.jpg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Funny stuff. 4 more years of memes this clever? Can't wait. Awesome.

On a similar note, nothing says greatness like having 3 Doors Down play your inauguration XD

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
Did you just try to burn me by transferring the responsibility of 3 doors down playing the inaug?

I suppose that's not a stretch.... 'Capn Forsaggio is responsible for 3 Doors down, and Putin is responsible for Hillary losing!'

Keep the tears rollin. I love how they taste.

Make the weekend great again! Peace everyone.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Did you just try to burn me by transferring the responsibility of 3 doors down playing the inaug?

I suppose that's not a stretch.... 'Capn Forsaggio is responsible for 3 Doors down, and Putin is responsible for Hillary losing!'

Nope, not sure where you found anything personal in that.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sections of Trump's speech today reminded me of Dwight Schrute's at the regional salesman awards.

Science_Penguin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The anarchist in me is a little disappointed the riots didn't actually disrupt anything... Didn't even show up on the news except for a little blurb at the bottom of the screen for a minute or two.

Not that I care about the reasons for it- I mean, it was either Trump or Hilary; you could find a reason to riot against either one- but at least we would've had something interesting happen.

flint757

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
4 more years of conversations going exactly this direction. Can't wait... (yes I can)

My least favorite part of this election has been those sort of interactions. Anytime I made a fact based criticism of Trump or Hillary or Warren or any other politician from whatever party I got accused by either side of being a supporter of their opponent and it went much worse than that typically with Hillary supporters. Criticize Obama for his war record and I get called a racist. Criticize Hillary for similar negative issues, must be a sexist and a Trump supporter. I guess we can add being called a 'comrade' or a Russian plant as well after the election.

I'm glad people are finally paying attention after sitting by for the last 8 years, but it'll be nice when the actual election is in the distance so a lot of that can chill out.

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score
My primary problem with Trump right now is what I see as his failure to fulfil one of his earliest and most often repeated promises: "I will hire the best people".

Betsy De Vos stands out to me as an example of somebody who is completely ignorant of how the education system works, who is intent on deflecting all responsibility for her role ("the states can handle that"), and who in all likelihood do her best to cut education funding in favour of charter and for-profit schooling. Finding unbiased information about charter schools is extremely difficult, but generally speaking, it seems that they do not substantially improve student learning outcomes, to the point where the results are essentially the same. De Vos has shown up with a history of favouring a specific type of educational institution, despite having very little knowledge of how educational institutions operate. This is not a case of hiring "the best people".

Maybe De Vos is an anomaly. I work in education, so it's easy for me to see that she's clueless. Maybe every other member of Trump's cabinet is the best possible choice for that position. But based on De Vos, I find it difficult to believe.

My wild guess over the outcome: Trump gets back-stabbed by the GOP and Pence put in as President within the next 2 years.

It's pretty unlikely within the boundaries of American politics, isn't it? Australia has had three Prime Ministers fired by their parties in the last ten years (Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard [replaced by Kevin Rudd, who then lost an election to -->], Tony Abbott), but Australians don't get to vote for a leader. Americans directly vote for a leader, so how much power does an American political party have to depose that leader? Genuinely curious.