US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Oh please

Every taxi driver, hotel employee, cop, hooker, etc. in any non-capital city knows when and where major figures bringing major disruption will appear.

It's not something that can be hidden (unless they choose the Hollywood hoodie and shades anonymous in public look and take public transport or something)

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

No.

They don't know the specific route a motorcade will take. They also try to leave venue announcements to the last minute when possible. Once only one venue was available, the newspaper was able to publish the route, because there was only one route with an obvious chokepoint.

It's one of the reasons Amb Stevens was placed in danger is that his schedule (times and locations) was released to the public in advance of his travel to Benghazi.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Doesn't matter. He advocated (yes, not right away, let's not nitpick) mask wearing, social distancing, supported shutdowns, advocated vaccination, was quick to point out that "remedies" like chlorocline and ivermectin didn't work, etc. Basically, all of the ways the right thought their "liberties" were being jeopardized, he supported. It doesn't matter who appointed him, he was advocating for science and telling us we needed to take Covid-19 seriously at a time when the Trump Administration wanted to paint it as a liberal attempt to discredit him and only a problem for the coastal cities.

Funny story about ivermectin - I follow The Economist on IG, and they posted a summary of a medical study today.

Turns out, ivermectin does help improve covid outcomes.

....but, before the handful of right-wing or conspiracy theory minded members here go on a victory parade, it only does so in countries with a high incidence of intestinal parasites (India, Bangladesh, and Columbia, I believe, were three examples from the infographic), and seems to help mostly by killing parasites and improving baseline health, or basically by removing one potential risk factor. :lol:

failsafe and bostjan like this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Who-Stevens? Benwhat? And why do we care?

5. USMarine75

Because he was a US Ambassador that was murdered along with another State Dept employee and two USG contractors while in performance of their duties overseas.

6. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Duuude... we got 6 figure casualties from "milder flu", ain't nobody got time nor pity for 2 gubmint suits and 2 mercs

PS full disclosure: natural Chaotic Neutrals like myself never cared about 1-digit body counts of suits and mercs even before the current sh!tshow

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  7. USMarine75

Duuude... you're an a-hole with witless commentary and absolutely no value added to this forum. Just a terrible human. I won't miss you... tell Putin I said hi.

[​IMG]

BubbleWrap and TheBlackBard like this.
  8. USMarine75

9. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

10. Randy

Randy ✝✝✝ Super Moderator

USMarine75 likes this.
  11. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Nope, these are initial claims. Fewer people are filing initial claims for unemployment than at any time since November 15th, 1969. Though, as a caveat, seasonal adjustments are a bit weird this year (the holiday shopping season is moving forward due to supply chain fears) so there's likely some noise here.

Here's the release, if you're curious. It also does go on to cite continuing claims data, and while we don't count "unemployed people no longer able to collect unemployment" directly - extremely difficult to do - we do count the size of the workforce, and the number of "discouraged workers" who would like to work but can't find anything on a sampling basis.

https://www.dol.gov/ui/data.pdf

BLS data is really pretty good.

That's pretty consistent with an extremely tight job market, though with the savings rate just starting to return to historical norms in the last month, with most of that (somewhat unusually - go Dems) NOT clustered in the top quintile of income earners but the bottom 4/5ths, Americans who are choosing to stay out of the workforce are probably able to meet basic spending needs through year end, so one plausible expectation here is for the workforce participation rate to start rising, and labor conditions to start loosening, around the start of 2022.

13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

But you can't file a NEW claim if you already timed out of your PREVIOUS claim...and still haven't had another job since

14. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Is there a trend for false flag political ad campaining or something today?

I'm being bombarded by obnoxious Katie Porter cult of personality promoting ads. Constantly. Unless I missed something, it's not even election season, so what the hell???

I mean, theoretically, I've liked and supported her... but dammit, subconsciously, I am seriously starting to HATE her now. What gives???

15. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I feel like qe've crossed a point to where there's no longer a "campaign season". Every day is, and you hope something goes viral and sticks in people's mind's for a year or two.

Adieu likes this.
  16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yes, but you also can't file a NEW claim, while receiving an EXISTING claim. And the enhanced pandemic unemployment benefits ended months ago, and themselves were extensions of the usual eligibility period.

I think there's room to push back on the last new claims number as being unduly influenced by seasonal adjustments and what's likely to be a WEIRD holiday shopping season. But I'm very confident that the issue here isn't people just happened to time out of unemployment insurance last week and were no longer eligible.

It's not a part of this survey, but the Unemployment Report includes a lot of the data you're looking for, that you say 'Murica doesn't track:

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

As of 10/31, 7.4 million Americans are "unemployed," meaning they don't have a job and are looking for one, vs a long term pre-pandemic average of 5.7 million, which is considered typical for routine labor market churn in a healthy economy. Long-term unemployed, aka longer than unemployment benefits, is currently 2.3 million, up 1.2 million from February 2020, but has fallen considerably in recent months. The "Supplemental Household Survey" that was started during Covid to add some color to the data, cites 3.8 million Americans not working because of Covid, which improved significantly month over month from 5.0 million prior month, and 1.3 million people were prevented from looking for work due to the pandemic. This is down from 1.6mm prior period, and has fallen pretty significantly in the last several months.

You don't have to like the American government, sure. But BLS is really a great source of data about the state of the US labor force, and it's pretty awesome, if you're a data nerd, that this stuff is just published publicly every month, and that it's free to access via FRED, the St. Louis Federal Reserve data portal.

17. donniekak

donniekak SS.org Regular

Once a public health official admits to lying to steer policy, they lose credibility with people.

I know as many Democrats against lockdowns and mandates as republican. The split isn't left vs right, it's authoritarian vs non authoritarian.

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Lying?

TBH, most of the Democrats I know against mask mandates have pretty consistently argued, "we did our part, socially distanced and got vaccinated, why should we be punished because those asshole Republicans refuse to take this seriously?" I'm not sure I buy that this is somehow an anti-authoritarian stance; most of them think unvaccinated people should still be required to wear masks, not dine indoors, etc etc etc, and vaccinated people should be given more privileges in return for their greater personal responsibility.

zappatton2, StevenC and spudmunkey like this.
  19. donniekak

donniekak SS.org Regular

He first said masks weren't effective. Later he revealed that was said to prevent a run on masks, not because it was true.

That's the definition of lying.

20. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Hey guys, aren't we experiencing what appears to be the start of a stock market crash?

It's not catastrophic (yet), but appears to be shockingly inclusive across the board

20211205_052421.jpg

How is this not a hot topic?