US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Are you from Canada? If so why don’t you stop riding our jock? It might give you some peace of mind, other than the kind you get gettin a rise out of us neighbors. Canada sure breeds a peculiar sort of troll, I know quote a few personally!

BlackSG91 likes this.
  2. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Also from Canada. The racists coming out of the woodwork in the wake of Trump has proven that racism is alive and well, such as the anti-mask rally that devolved into a tiki-torch march (a well-established white supremacist trope) just a few days ago. Hell, even if Trump never happened, Canada has a long, storied, and very much still-being-written history of institutional racism against First Nations, not to mention the long-standing acrimony between Quebec and the rest of Canada.

If you lived in Canada and didn't notice the racism all around, you were either in a very privileged position or simply wilfully ignorant.

USMarine75, StevenC, Randy and 2 others like this.
  3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

God is this still happening.

4. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Yikes...part of my heritage follows a path through Canada, many moons ago.

The saying was-

How long before mestiz babies were born after the first Colonists arrived? 9 months!

I guess my fond recollections of peaceful loving times aren’t always enough! It’s like a battle to be this way, in harmony!

WTF people? Guys like Trump, they want us to hate each other! FFS...

BlackSG91 likes this.
  5. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

The bolded pretty much clears up any misconception we may have that you're interested in a legitimate dialog. You want to be able to say what you want to say without dispute and anyone that expresses a different opinion you see as some form of attack, even when the person is attempting to engage in an honest and open conversation. That track just doesn't endear people to your cause.

As one of the dudes attempting to engage with you in your other thread, where you came off as somewhat hostile to the mere idea that someone didn't agree with you, you're not doing yourself any favors with the angry diatribes and violent reactions to folks as you label everything you disagree with liberal lies. Some of things that you are either blatantly making up or just taking from a republican talking point list somewhere, aren't helping either.

I would really like to see you say something about what you believe that isn't just some form of, "no, you're wrong," wrapped in insults.

I'm particularly curious how you came to the conclusion that because there is wealth disparity racism holds no merit as a current problem. Having seen it out in the open many times from the time I was a kid up to recently, and actually studying enough of the statistical proof of systemic racism in the states, I have a real hard time understanding how anyone could come to the conclusion that racism is no longer an issue. I mean, I've had several white friends that want to ignore the issue since it doesn't have a direct negative impact on them, but none of them believe it to be a solved problem.

StevenC, TheBlackBard, Ralyks and 5 others like this.
  6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

More chatter about Trump trying to set up a presidential bid for 2024. I really wonder what conservative voters will think of Trump 3 years from now.

A year and a half from now, we'll see if the democrats lose their majority in the Senate, which will indicate that the GOP can still wrestele back power. If not, I don't think Trump will ever be able to reclaim widespread relevance in US politics. If, what I think is more likely, the GOP retakes the Senate in the 2022 midterms, and Biden decides not to run for re-election in 2024, things will again be precarious enough for Trump to regain momentum.

Because of all of this likely future nonsense, there's going to be a lot of perpetually heated political rhetoric coming from highly opinionated people.

Or, who knows, maybe Trump will have a heart attack or get Russian pissing disease and, without any other would-be leaders as bold as him, Sarah Palin will make a failed attempt at a comeback, and run against Harris.

7. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

8. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Holy crap, Cruz just called Jan 6 a “terrorist attack” in senate hearing.

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Ted Cruz scared and confused.

10. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

even looks like him

SpaceDock, bostjan, vilk and 3 others like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Just curious, were you paying attention during the last five or so years?

StevenC and bostjan like this.
  12. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

I'm from Canada and I've seen white nationalism rise here. Especially from Alberta where the Yellow Vest movement started out and worked it's way to Ontario. A couple of years ago they were staging protests downtown every weekend and I read their signs and it occurred to me this is the Canadian MAGA. One day I purchased a carton of eggs and had the privilege of tossing the eggs across the street into the yellow vest protestors. I'll have to say that most or all of them were not too happy or pleased.:oops::)

[​IMG]

;>)/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Wuuthrad likes this.
  13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

If you are willing to ignore data that can clearly paint a clear and direct line for the treatment of a minority group from one “era” to another, by flat out denying the generally accepted academic research on the subject then you are not interested in a discussion or conversation.

You’re openly admitting that you want to insult people with bad-faith discussion, insults, and whataboutism.

“I’ll have to read those, but I already disagree with all of it. I’ve made up my mind beforehand.”

StevenC, vilk, Millul and 5 others like this.
  14. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Well in fairness, he did say he was a conservative.

Dineley likes this.
  15. bostjan

In logic, that used to be called the "no true Scotsman fallacy," but maybe we should now call it the "liberal source fallacy."

No true Scotsman fallacy example:

No Scotsman would ever drink coffee.
    Connor over there is from Scotland and he's drinking coffee.
    Well, then, obviously Connor is no true Scotsman.

Liberal source fallacy example:

Actually, gay marriage doesn't effect straight marriage in any way.
    You have no source for that!
    Actually, I have a few articles here...
    Those are all liberal sources! You don't have any non-liberal sources that say that!
    Actually, these are peer reviewed and have nothing to do with politics...
    Ahh, but they say something that I don't agree with, therefore, they are liberal sources!

I've been hearing this exchange (not exact, but pretty darned close) over and over again at work, online, etc. It's the same logical fallacy. They can't go after the source's credibility, nor the point presented, so they concoct this paradox where you think something, then you are right, because you disregard any and all evidence that goes against your point in order to support your point. It's the dumbest thing ever to anyone who discovered how logic works more than fifteen minutes ago, but logic is just more liberally-oriented evidence to these people.

16. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

17. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I've said it before and I'll likely be saying it again, but reality has a liberal bias. And it's becoming more biased the more these conservative folks hunker down in their beliefs and scream "liberal" at anything they don't already agree with. No amount of hand waiving will make reality disappear, but by golly their gonna give it their best shot.

mbardu and bostjan like this.
  18. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

I think you’re possibly giving people like this too much credit!

It seems like an “us vs them” mentality, “good vs bad” or “black vs white” duality, which pervades our society, and is beaten into the heads of people at an early age and continuously throughout life.

Far easier to grasp on to such nonsense, as it takes little effort, especially for people with no real capacity or interest in critical thinking.

bostjan likes this.
  19. bostjan

Well, I didn't even read your post to see if you agreed with me or not, or what point you made, but I watched a 2 minute Dennis Prager infographic video, so I don't have to.

Mathemagician, StevenC, TedEH and 4 others like this.
  20. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker