US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

2. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

I honestly do.not.care.anymore. This is the same vanilla shit they say every time a Democrat wins office or any time they win a majority in Congress.

I'm actually relieved that those are the stakes we're playing for at this point. Republicans whining about taxes and regulations. I'd say that beats civil war, anarchy in all major cities and the plague ravaging all four corners of this country while the President does literally nothing but pour more gasoline. I might even go back to talking about guitar on here at this point.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

2B3CD090-06AD-4124-A6E1-70B7391FB012.jpeg

Ball is in your court y'all.

groverj3, cwhitey2, Wuuthrad and 7 others like this.
  4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

John "Randy" Schaffer

Zhysick, Xaios and Randy like this.
  5. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Please take 3 minutes out of your day to watch this.

This is everything that was wrong with Trump. The lack of courtesy, civility, country before self, etc.

Sumsar, Millul, Wuuthrad and 5 others like this.
  6. philkilla

philkilla Baritone Maniac Contributor

I'm glad he's out. Not a big fan of Biden, but fuck me I'm glad trump is gone.

Millul, Wuuthrad, Zhysick and 4 others like this.
  7. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I don't think anyone on either side of the aisle was "too scared" to pass laws.

8. MaxOfMetal

I think it's more of a fear of damaging future political prospects or upsetting the status quo.

I don't think Schumer thinks scary progressive bills are hiding under his bed waiting to nip at his ankles. Or he does. :lol:

SpaceDock and narad like this.
  9. narad

But I feel like if you're too scared to pass laws that would get you voted out, you are in some way acknowledging that passing the laws would be against the will of the people you represent, and therefore, imo, valid political behavior. The country has to work on a local level to give representatives the confidence in their constituents that is necessary to make those kinds of laws.

Of course, you want people to basically also guide the country in the best direction regardless of localized sentiment, but I actually don't feel bad about them prioritizing re-election. Only catering to special interest groups for bribes and other quid-pro-pro-y things.

Zhysick likes this.
  10. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

Fully agree. The only wild card is manchin but they gotta get shit done either way.

Trump had the same for 2 years with bigger majorities and only managed a tax plan geared towards the richest that has exploded the deficit. If dems cant do more they've got no leg to stand on.

11. MaxOfMetal

I'd argue that it's special interests that get them elected and who they typically serve vs. the will and wellbeing of thier constituents.

I think the chief fear isn't of being voted out by the people, but being primaried or smeared/attacked at the behest of large donors/PACs.

thraxil and sleewell like this.
  12. narad

Yea, I guess that's a fair point. Scared of special interest groups I can believe.

13. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

I'm totally content with not discussing Trump ever again (sans when they throw him in prison) but one thing that's become super apparent are the number of people who kissed his ass just to get themselves or others out of jail. Lil Wayne is an obvious one, but Brian Urlacher and Judge Jeanine others.

Also hilarious are the sycophantic people who ACTUALLY liked the guy in ernest, and he didn't give them any pardons, like the Qanon groupies and the Proud Boys. Hitched your wagon to a real winner there. Maybe next time you've got enough money to lobby for your freedom.

cwhitey2 and sleewell like this.
  14. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

listened to right wing talk radio on the way to work. pretty horrifying but not surprising. they are already slamming biden's plan on immigration. already slamming his plans for the military. said his speech yesterday was terrible. they are still pushing the voter fraud claims and actually said if so many people voted for biden why could they only get 1000 people to his inauguration? obviously no mentions of covid or the coup attempt. there was no message of giving him a chance or even that he actually won fairly.

i'm getting really uneasy with all this happy go lucky unity talk from the dems. clinton tried that and failed. obama tried it and failed. they are still talking about unifying with people who have no interest in reciprocating and frankly with people who can't even live in reality. its the classic democrats being pussies that i fear is going to happen again. when the gop win they only attempt to ram their agenda through and give no fucks about the left. when dems win they talk unity and about what can we pass that the right will like. its bullshit.

when the right gets in charge they make a complete mess and leave things in shambles for the incoming democratic administration and then they blame them not fixing it fast enough and block them from trying.

imo this is not yet a time for unity. we have been through 4 years of fuck your feelings and trampling on the constitution. its not time to extend the olive branch to a side that has no intention of taking it and to sweep everything under the rug like it didn't happen. i would like to deal with the people who are still on team coup and the messaging behind it.

conflicts don't resolve by giving everyone a pass. tough conversations need to be had even if feelings get hurt. things will get worse if we just act like nothing happened.

Millul, groverj3, Zhysick and 6 others like this.
  15. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

I watched a few minutes of Tucker last night as he conflated the Biden war on white supremacy and domestic terrorism as a war on whites in general. I find it odd there are "humans" like him that you can literally only listen to for a few minutes before you start having physical reactions like rash and upset stomach.

Here's the thing...this will be over very soon. Not every crazy nut job but all the Trumpism will so hear me out.... Russia recently hack over 250 major companies and government institutions including even the pentagon, state department and homeland security. Years ago Russia hacked the DNC. But IMMEDIATELY the RNC announced they were not hacked as the security on their servers is too good but offered no proof. I guarantee you russians hacked the RNC and made certain republicans useful idiots based on what they found....blackmail. You think a three time divorced mayor of new york with major financial problems who got punked by Borat into taking off his pants hasn't been spied on by russian operatives (Guiliani isn't scared of Trump voters as he has been running for office). No he is scared of his issues being revealed by someone named Ivan if Trump isn't fully supported. And same with Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz and others who swore that electing Trump would end the party and now can't kiss his ass fast enough. Because of his voters? The blue wave of 2018 showed republicans there was more to fear from moderates than crazies.

We know Trump is beholden to Russia, we know that russian money has been flowing into the NRA and then into republican politician pockets. Russia owns many republicans like Nunes and McCarthy. We've all heard the audio talking about it. That's why so many prominent republicans retired from office almost immediately after 2016. They don't want to be anywhere near this stage when the curtain comes down. Manafort running the Trump campaign in 2016? A pro russia platform that republicans adopt without dissent? (other than Romney)Republicans refusing to force Trump's hand on russian/taliban bounties on our troops?

Trust me we are going to learn in short order that the rot runs deep....that the party we thought we knew as the republican party has been infiltrated by traitors whose behavior this last few years can only be described as acting under duress...and not because they are scared of Trump voters. Don't tell me Liz Cheney has more balls than these guys. It's just Russia doesn't have anything on her.

sleewell likes this.
  16. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I hear murmurs now that Trump is out of office and didn't pardon his coup attempters that Qanon circles are referring to him as weak and ineffective. Four years of Trump being god-like and now he's weak. That's some funny shit.

While I'd like to see those holding office that actually stoked the flames of and during the coup attempt held accountable, the somewhat moderate, less-insane, or even self-preservation seeking Republicans right now may be a little more willing to play ball than they have in the past just to disassociate with Trump if nothing else. And while I don't think that should give them a free pass for all the assistance and falling all over themselves to praise him over the last four years, even when his rhetoric was clearly leading to violence, at least there's the tiniest little seed of possibility we'll see some cooperation. And I haven't seen that seed exist in nearly any form since long before I was voting age.

So, while I can't claim I'm super hopeful or anything of the sort, I can say there's a cautious optimism that we'll see some form of progress in the next few weeks to months. How much progress likely depends on how willing the Republicans are to let a few of their zanier brothers and sisters fall on their swords for the greater good. If they decide to rally behind the nut-bars calling for a Biden impeachment already, forget it. But something tells me McConnel's not going to be that stupid, and whether we like it or not he still pulls a lot of strings on that side of the aisle.

I still feel a huge sense of relief to know I'm not going to wake up every single morning to another story of the President embarrassing himself twenty times while I was in bed, mostly by tweeting stupidities that most teenagers are smart enough to avoid. As much as I'm not a Biden fan, it is nice to know he can at least behave like a civilized human being. That's a stark difference.

Seeing the past presidents be respectful and offering kind words kind of drives that whole point home even further. What a relief.

Millul, cwhitey2, Zhysick and 2 others like this.
  17. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

20210121_100331.jpg

Giuliani defending his use of the term "trial by combat" which incited insurrection :lol:

Dineley, Zhysick, zappatton2 and 2 others like this.
  18. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

CNN just released this photo of Biden's first day at the office yesterday

trash.jpg

Sumsar, Zhysick, Thaeon and 1 other person like this.
  19. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Can we make the orange man fly now, mom?

Seriously, is Giuliani even a human being anymore? He seems more cartoon character by the day.

USMarine75 and Zhysick like this.
  20. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

Uh....so since Trump can't overthrow the government by himself he hires an angry mob to do it...and Giuliani thinks this excuse helps his case?

Zhysick likes this.