US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Our winner take all political system can only ever support two parties. If the GOP blows up then they, or their further right wing counterpart party, will never win another national election. Or at least not until several years pass and one of those parties absorbs the other in the name of being able to win elections again. That would essentially just recreate the Republican party again.

It's a pretty well-known feature of winner take all election systems that they tend toward two party systems. In order to have more viable parties we'd have to have large scale reforms that would make both parties less powerful.

Zhysick and BenjaminW like this.
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Jon faces 6 charges, huh? He could go away for a long time, but I have a feeling that he'll probably only do a little bit of time for this. I was unaware that he had been spraying police with bear spray until these arrest reports came out, though. That's pretty damned awful. Imagine trying to cull a huge angry mob that wants to assassinate the #2 and #3 in line for head of government, and these people are armed with all sorts of improvised deadly weapons, and some asshat sprays you in the eyes with bear spray. You can't see what's going on, you are in intense pain, and yet you still have to hold the line.

If Jon doesn't have a really good explanation for that sort of behaviour (along the lines of it wasn't him or whatever), I'd say that whatever punishment he gets will probably be too lenient.

On the other topic of the two party system and the problems with the GOP factioning off, I can say that I deeply disbelieve that will play a role. The GOP, at the moment, is really a catch all for anyone who disagrees with the Democratic party, and I don't see that changing. Personally, I disagree with the Democratic party on a number of issues, agree with them on other issues, but I really dislike the GOP because their issue stances have been mostly garbage for decades now, and I get the impression that many of my peers who do tend to vote for GOP candidates only do so to protest the establishment.

That's really why you get a lot of single issue voters aligning with the GOP. If there were more line-item issues presented to voters, then the GOP would probably shrink to 1/3 or maybe even 1/4 of the size, as those single-issue voters might not bother aligning with a party that protects their one interest (even if they are horrible at executing it), and sucks at everything else.

My mind was truly boggled by Trump's popularity with the single-issue people, though, because, well, he really tended to take stances more akin or further beyond what the DNC's stances are over these specific issues, rather than stances with the typical GOP rhetoric.

For example, Trump's administration prosecuted more procedural firearms crimes than any previous administration. How can he be so pro-2A if he's cracking down on people not having their permit or whatever? Also, gun control tightened over the past 4 years. What's up with that?

Abortion? The guy who cracked down on abortion also uses stem cells from human embryos on himself to recover from covid faster.

Obamacare? The guy who promised to dismantle Obamacare somehow managed to usher in an era where the programs are bigger than ever.

From a detached perspective on these, you just have to shrug your shoulders :shrug: and make a goofy expression :confused: because Trump's policies are really just all over the place, and the only really consistent thing is that the actual policies are not pursuant to the goals he advertises.

groverj3 likes this.
  3. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

4. Randy

Randy The Pusterience™ Super Moderator

Spending some time thinking about this today.

These people are petulant, impatient, spoiled children. Not even in the "I'm not happy with election so I'm gonna pretend it didn't happen" sense. In the "I'm going to hold my breath or kick and scream until I get what I want" way.

Even if you think the election was stolen, storming the capitol and putting your feet on Stenye Hoyer's desk isn't the way you change it. Look at the Progressives after Bernie lost in 2016. They bitched, they moaned but they also mobilized and found ways to get representation in the winning caucus, as well as mounting campaigns for lower offices to seek policy thereafter.

Trumpublicans are shooting themselves in the foot or maybe the head with the flaccid revolt, it'll just invalidate them rather than get the results they want. Shaffer says he likes Trump because he hates globalism and foreign wars (like Republicans are infamous for supporting), well now anything resembling Trump policy and representatives are going to be purged because they're considered a terror organization. Just stupid. Take the L, work on your caucus and see what kind of power you have over the next 2 years. The violence is going to make it really easy for the Dems and the rest of the Republican Party to purge you completely.

Masoo2, cwhitey2, tedtan and 9 others like this.
  5. bostjan

That's not really how that side works, though. Trump made a big splash because he was specifically unwilling to compromise with anybody. When he couldn't get a "deal" to go how he liked, he'd just walk away from the table. So, those supporters of his, they don't want to compromise with the winner of the election, and that's by their very own creed. The only way for them to get what they want is to continue living in their own fantasies, honestly, since most of what Trump had been working on was already proven to be just a sugar high for the economy and a whole lot of just ignoring things like disease, starvation, homelessness, and pollution, under the diseased thought process that ignoring those things makes them not exist. The huge surprise out of all of that is that it basically took 3 years and a global pandemic to get to the point where there was any sort of weakening of Trump's own base in light of the fact that there was bold proof that Trump's tactics mostly just didn't work in real life.

tedtan, Zhysick and fps like this.
  6. Randy

Randy The Pusterience™ Super Moderator

True.

They're the "Flex Belt" of political movements. "What do you mean it doesn't work? This $49.99 is supposed to buy me the rock hard abs people get from years of dieting and exercise"

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Zhysick and bostjan like this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Friend sent this to me, had to share.

93B261E2-F5D2-47C0-A4D9-62A57FD44F95.jpeg

Masoo2, cwhitey2, Edika and 12 others like this.
  8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I wonder if the Q motto "Where We Go One, We Go All" includes prison.

Masoo2, cwhitey2, JimF and 8 others like this.
  9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

We can only hope.

10. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

I can't help but imagine a north american (USA or Canada) and a North Korean talkin about how oppressed they are:

NA: Man I'm telling you, we are getting oppressed by our government, I know how you feel. How oppressed are you?

NK: Well, we can't have access to the world internet, we have the risk to be sent to imposed labor if we don't follow our leader's rules, we don't have the possibility to have an opposition party to the one in power and we have to worship the leader in a God-Like way, what about you?

NA: They want us to wear a mask during a world pandemic, privately own social media can ban us if we don't follow the rule we agreed upon joining and they don't want to overturn an election based on facts that no one are showing. We're the same right?

NK: .... fuck off dude

Masoo2, cwhitey2, tedtan and 9 others like this.
  11. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

These Ralph memes are killing it. Here's my favorite: [​IMG]

Masoo2, cwhitey2, tedtan and 4 others like this.
  12. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Btw happy MLK day to the forum. It’s really surprising to me that the country has revealed what it has these past couple years.

This is still meaningful to me, and I appreciate the way it’s quoted here:

9ED29491-4088-4266-9E92-8651B86BF2D8.jpeg

My privilege has given me an education understanding and sympathetic view of the teachings of MLK that I wish more people had!

https://www.pbs.org/video/martin-luther-king-jr-celebration-concert-5h320d/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

MLK is the biggest example of how easy it is to "sanitize" and whitewash someone while they're dead. Can't wait to see how these guys see Colin kaepernick in several decades.

14. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

The only actual tyranny and oppression I see here is Marriage.

15. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

zappatton2 and Wuuthrad like this.
  16. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

where are all the trumps not a racist dudes.

I just want some fun watching people explain this.

17. Thaeon

:rofl:

18. bostjan

also

Referring to John C Calhoun, who was a staunch proponent of slavery, you know, the most egregious example of a minority group being systematically oppressed by a majority group.

tedtan likes this.
  19. Thaeon

Just watched the video. Wow. There's no spin to this. You're either on the correct side or that side.

tedtan and USMarine75 like this.
  20. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

That's really f%cked up!
    I hope Biden will be able to "clean the house" and to steer American politics back towards decency, but it will take A TON of effort.