US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

Last time I checked, foot locker wasn’t the very foundation that the USA was built on. Rioting and looting suck, yeah, but rioting and breaking into the fucking capitol because you can’t accept the election results is treason. That kind of behavior cannot be tolerated whatsoever.

vilk, Veldar, Zhysick and 7 others like this.
  2. Randy

Randy Taste the Rainbow™ Super Moderator

That was the joke I was thinking, then I mentioned it to a friend of mine that said his family are MAGA and they're also all organic people because of GMO conspiracies. So there's overlap.

3. Thorshammer1980

Thorshammer1980 SS.org Regular

BLM occupied and destroyed police stations, city blocks, and damaged federal building. Killed more people and hurt more police officers. But, here you all are. Defending it because what happened in DC were Trump supporters, or claimed to be. Its just laughable.

4. Thorshammer1980

Please. Democrats have spent the last for years trying to overturn 2016. Trump on his way out the door and they are still acting like lunatics.

5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

This is amazing lol

6. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

I think we are getting carried away with all this rhetoric about rioting and treason. Killing capitol police and invading the capitol building and hunting for the vice president and house speaker in order to execute them because free and fair elections didnt go the way Trump supporters hoped is not as big a deal as we are making it out to be. Let us remember that taking a knee before the start of a football game is the true enemy of democracy and the founding principles of this nation.

vilk, Veldar, StevenC and 4 others like this.
  7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I always wanted to do a GMO and organic taste test to see how different they are, but then I figured that I’ve probably had GMO food without knowing it was a GMO, and thus my idea I thought was cool went down the drain.

8. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

Four* and the logic behind your argument (I’m assuming that’s what you’re making here) is flawed. What happened last week was T R E A S O N.

StevenC, JimF and Zhysick like this.
  9. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

What specific actions did democrats take to overturn the election? Yes they did argue that someone who lost the popular vote hy 3 million votes exposes a flaw in the electoral college and they were legitimately concerned that Trump is beholden to Putin but when did they try and undo the election?

vilk, Veldar, groverj3 and 1 other person like this.
  10. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

I'm a biologist and worked in plant genetics for my PhD. Organics can be GMOs. But you also shouldn't care because they're fine to eat. You've definitely eaten GMOs.

Also, all domesticated crops are "genetically modified" through selective breeding. So, basically, GMO fear is people not understanding science. Inserting a gene from one species into another results in the gene functioning the same way it did in the original species, or making the predicted protein/whatever. The fact that we know how genetics works means that we know exactly what products a gene will make when inserted into an organism.

The more you know, haha.

JimF, tedtan, Thaeon and 6 others like this.
  11. groverj3

Anti-GMO sentiment definitely has overlap on both the left and right for some similar but also different reasons. Some leftists I know don't like that they're patented and this is an economic issue. Or, they don't like that they aren't "natural" (as opposed to selective breeding changing lots of genes, rather than transgenic plants having just a single or few genes specifically altered).

Right wingers seem to dislike GMOs mostly because they're more anti-intellectual and "how dare those elitist scientists change God's food." There is some crunchiness there in the libertarian crowd though objecting to it being "unnatural" as well.

JimF and Drew like this.
  12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

100 percent less treasonous

JimF, mmr007, StevenC and 3 others like this.
  13. groverj3

For a second there I was able to ignore the dumpster fire to teach a science lesson. Thanks, guys!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    JimF, tedtan, Thaeon and 4 others like this.
  14. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Unironically equating staging a would-be coup, attempting to kidnap and overthrow elected officials, etc because of losing a (legitimate) democratic election and social conventions against saying the quiet part louder to people responding to centuries of systematic oppression and injustice is a great example of what I was talking about re: dealing with post-truth ideologies.

Especially when a substantial portion of the violence at protests in the past year was driven by right-wing instigators and/or unrelated opportunists, as documented by both police and the FBI. Likewise how there is a stark, well-documented difference in how police forces handle protests based on the ideologies represented, and how this creates an escalating cycle of violence against left-leaning protests like the BLM movement (which are overwhelmingly peaceful, more than 90% - but the peaceful ones don't reach mainstream media). Decoupling cause from effect when talking about what violence has occurred just drives the point home further.

If facts and logic were enough, I wouldn't even need to point this out - I could just point to any half-decent US history book. Even whitewashed as those are, it'd make the point for me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    vilk, mmr007, StevenC and 2 others like this.
  15. Thorshammer1980

I feel like I'm talking to a CNN panel here. Fuck.....

16. diagrammatiks

sure fuck

riots protesting systematic police brutality and racism cool

riots protesting a legal election. not cool. literally the uncoolest thing you can do

and ya you can get away with a lot if you aren't an actual neo nazi

because you aren't A FUCKING NAZI

fuck it dude is this shit hard to understand.

Veldar, StevenC, Zhysick and 2 others like this.
  17. diagrammatiks

oh you mean like a panel of college educated people instead of your usual redneck backyard discussion?

sorry.

MASS DEFECT, StevenC, Zhysick and 2 others like this.
  18. Thorshammer1980

So now you're assuming the color of my neck?

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

The world's a bit different when you aren't in a Parler/Facebook right wing echo chamber.

Veldar, StevenC, Zhysick and 4 others like this.
  20. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I love when all the higher educated folks land in threads. I consider myself fairly intelligent but it's cool getting to see and converse with people who end up being experts on particular topics.

JimF likes this.