US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Randy

Randy The Pusterience™ Super Moderator

This country is a better place with at least two parties in play to keep the other in check, but the loyalty tests from Trump have made the Republican Party untenable. I would like to see them exorcise the idol worshippers and come back as a genuine conservative (ie: small government, fiscal conservative) party on the other end but they've got a serious purge to do to get there.

tedtan and StevenC like this.
  2. Randy

Also worth pointing out this was a violent invasion of the US capital to stop the constitutional counting of the vote for federal office, carried out by people waving the flag of Confederacy. We gotta stop calling this anything resembling a protest this WAS sedition.

3. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Agreed. Anyone who broke into the capitol should be arrested. Start there. Then, continue by voting on impeachment immediately tonight and tomorrow. Then, work to disband right wing militias around the country due to their participation in this.

Can't they use that act, RICO, to charge far right militias as criminal enterprises? Like with other organized crime? I'm not a lawyer.

4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

There was definitely a charm to me about Trump back in 2015 in that he shook up the political landscape by not being some career politician who wasn't afraid to speak his mind. So that along with growing up in a conservative family, it was a great opportunity for me to really get interested in politics and what not. 2020 definitely became a loyalty test for me and as I mentioned before, I was totally reluctant to admit that my days as a Trump guy were over.

In regards to idol worshippers, I follow Fox News on Instagram and the comment section is exactly like how you'd imagine: Just full of these people who I swear worshipped Trump more than they did like Jesus or something. It's crazy.

Wuuthrad likes this.
  5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

6. groverj3

This guy is talking literally right now about how he still needs to object to the states that Trump lost.

What a shitbag.

USMarine75 likes this.
  7. Randy

Outsider is cool. Fun fact, my dad is the biggest Trump hater I know but he actually grew up in the same neighborhood as him at the same time, knew a lot of the same people and he actually wrote a letter to him saying he should run for president back in the mid-70s :lol:

Trump's old MO was that that he would go in to setting where the government kept tripping over their own feet, and he'd get the project done faster, better, and under budget. The Wollman Skating Rink is one of the items that comes up a lot.

So I mean, I get it. A lot of it was in his brand for a long time, but that's not the guy that ran for office and it's definitely not the guy he is in 2020.

tedtan, Wuuthrad and BenjaminW like this.
  8. groverj3

It only took far right militias storming the Capitol at the president's request to finally get him banned for 12 hours on twitter.

tedtan, USMarine75, Zhysick and 2 others like this.
  9. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I agree. If you watch Trump interviews from the 80s, it's so different hearing him talk then versus now and I've definitely asked myself where the hell this has been? It does feel ironic for me though to say that one of the things that was appealing to me about Trump is something I'll criticize him for.

10. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

What do you even say ? Everyone saw
    It coming and knows exactly what it is.

to see kkk flags waving on the steps was definitely chilling.

Hope everyone stays safe

sleewell likes this.
  11. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

12. Randy

Did not age well.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  13. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

I mean to a lot of conservative evangelicals, the two are mutually inclusive. You have guys like John MacArthur saying that if you are a Christian, you must vote for Trump, and televangelists saying that whether or not you support Trump is a litmus test for your salvation. I've even talked with some folks who tell me that because God cannot allow the Satanic pedophile cabal known as the Democratic Party to usher us into the New World Order, there would be a literal enactment of the book of Revelation to end the world if Biden got elected. Apparently those early Christian apocalyptic writings were really about US politics, that's how important we are. :noplease:

I'm sure this sounds like a super fringe minority but I've been shocked by how many seemingly otherwise sane religious conservatives are into (or very sympathetic to) this stuff.

Zhysick, BenjaminW and groverj3 like this.
  14. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

I think something was posted awhile back in here, some sort of picture, but basically it was the idea that if Jesus were here today, he'd get called a snowflake, liberal, and all kinds of shit.

15. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I just want to say that it is never too late for Republicans to seek redemption. Turn the page, ditch Trump, move on. I don’t know why in our culture we have a problem with people who change their minds. I call that personal evolution. It’s never too late.

16. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Well... thing is, it really seems like society, at least if you view social media, has moved towards this "if you've ever done anything wrong in your life, fuck you forever, you shouldn't be allowed to work or support your family." Now that might not be the viewpoint of the average person, but given the impact that social media has on the psyche and expectations of citizens, it's not hard to see why changing one's mind seems like a futile action. I mean, you can change it for yourself, sure, but if the shitty person you were has been documented, they're yelling for you to be deplatformed, boycotted, cancelled, silenced, and everything else. And then there's the very human response to that which basically sits as: "what the fuck, I'm trying to do better, yet these people still look at me as a piece of shit, why even bother?" Now truly, the ones who show conviction in their change won't give a shit what anyone else thinks, but a person is more likely to actually change if they have support instead of strife. As someone who grew up in a conservative environment, and someone who regrets things that I have said and done, bet your ass I would not want the first half of my life published for everyone to see, regardless of the fact that I've done a complete 180 from where I used to be as a teenager.

17. spudmunkey

January 2017 vs January 2021

[​IMG]

failsafe, USMarine75, Zhysick and 3 others like this.
  18. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

19. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Maybe sycophancy is at play, maybe for a few coping with fear is a factor as well, but I can't help but feel that "concede nothing and you'll be rewarded for it" has been the main takeaway from the last 4 years for a good number of Republicans even if that flies in the face of the reality we're living in.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    iamaom likes this.
  20. spudmunkey

IMO, I can see why it's not that simply. Just flipping a switch would mean that for at least a large portion of the time, they were going against their own convictions and were lying to everyone about their actual feelings/thoughts. Being completely disingenuous. Two-faced. These people aren't just now realizing anything.

cwhitey2 likes this.