US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

As Rump is golfing...

I've never been more embarrassed about the U.S.A on the world stage as I am today!

I feel like the guy who has a good friend over for thanksgiving dinner and having to explain to him "Oh, that guy ranting conspiracy theories in the other room is just my crazy uncle Billy, he's had too much to drink but he should run out of steam by the end of the night"...

Take note that on the Fox News "ticker" one of the headlines reads "Talking To Goats"???

Fitting...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yep. Middle class taxes are getting raised and lower class taxes are getting raised bigtime next year under Trump's tax plan, while anyone in the top 1% gets no increase. I have no doubt Mitch Mcconnell will refuse to let Biden pass his tax plan which would make it so lower/middle class people wouldn't see an increase and the 1%ers would, and that the republicans will then screech "LOOK! BIDEN RAISED TAXES ON THE LOWER/MIDDLE CLASS!" VOTE REPUBLICAN 2022 SO WE CAN LOWER YOUR TAXES!!! and then proceed to continue squeezing the underclasses for all they're worth.

This country is beyond f'd and if the Trump supporters continue thinking this is the fault of the democrats there's no way anything is ever going to improve. I wish it was possible to move to Canada if you are over 30 and don't have any advanced degrees.

AxRookie likes this.
  3. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

I agree only I think we all need to stay and fight tooth a nail for a better tomorrow which could start with two wins in the GA runoffs!

And getting Rump out of the way!

We all need to be shouting from the rooftops ‘Lead, Follow Or Get Out Of The Way’

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

What REALLY needs to be happening immediately is everyone screaming from the rooftops about Trump's tax raises on the lower/middle classes that start in 2021. As is, barely any liberals I know are even aware of it, and if Democrats don't get on top of messaging NOW, before Biden's in office, there's no way the republicans aren't going to lie their asses off and make most of the country believe Biden implemented the increases. If it gets attached to the republicans right now as something they did, there's a chance it can be leveraged against them to get rid of it and put the burden on the Bezos of the country instead.

5. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

Yep, after 4 years of Rump there is A LOT on the to do list that really needs to get done, and the sooner the better!

6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Just a thought about the vast amount of "Haha... Loser!/ Look at the idiots!" videos and social-media comments. It's a shame that we have an opportunity to take the high road and simply let the sad-sacks cry themselves out but yet continue to mock and ridicule them. What happened to winning graciously? We as a nation, are already divided enough. Our hospitals are becoming maxed-out with covid infections, deaths continue to mount, our national security is in jeopardy every day that the transition is delayed, and our economy is reeling. Celebrate the win but why continue clawing at the low-hanging fruit and taunting the defeated? I support the therapeutic nature of humor but I feel that it gets to a point where it's all just a bit much. trump lost and that's great in and of itself but this country is a mess and continuing to rub salt in the wounds seems completely unnecessary and in bad character at this point.

7. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

I would love to take "the high road" but Rump and his supporters are still refusing to let that happen by continuing to block any movement forwards!

AND that obstruction MUST be called out, Not Ignored!

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

We're not really dealing with good faith actors here, so it's hard to keep grinding along with a manufactured sense of superiority with nothing much to show for it at the present.

So I get it.

It's easy to preach grace and civility, it's a privilege that many of us have.

But, all the coddling in the world isn't going to unite this country, actually making it better will and in order to do that we just might have to crack some eggs opposed to taking the high road all the way to where we've been the last decade, which has been a spiral to the bottom.

aesthyrian and zappatton2 like this.
  9. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Counterpoint: No it's not.
    If you think any of the people who actually left their homes for this nonsense give a shit what someone sitting on social media is saying about them you're naive. Internet mockery is the least these people deserve and the people who go out and counter-protest against these lunatics deserve praise, not a bunch of hollywood liberals taking to social media demanding people just ignore them and bemoaning how "we" missed a chance to "take the high road" with this march; which is what's been happening.

There are still a lot of people who seem hellbent on refusing to admit to themselves that when these people organize and then mobilize and are met with no response whatsoever from the people they consider "the left" (anyone they perceive as to the left of them) that the absence of even the mildest of consequences is what actually emboldens them. The "high road" benefits *them* not you. They built this huge base of support while people were spending time ignoring it, making the same bullshit "they just want attention, we need to take the highroad" arguments. If you think these people these people are going to "cry themselves out" please consider for a moment that this march signals the exact opposite, they have no intention of letting go and they're going to continue to organize. The "high road" isn't ceding the streets to a far right mob for a night so they can network and organize further.

Edika, zappatton2 and Science_Penguin like this.
  10. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

Rand Paul telling coronavirus survivors to throw out their masks and celebrate.

These are the morons that need to be called out!!!

11. MaxOfMetal

Rand Paul isn't a moron, he's a monster.

12. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

Maybe we can meet in the middle and agree he's a moronic monster? :cheers:

13. MaxOfMetal

Nah. Those are two different things. But we can both not like him.

14. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

It was worth a try in these divided times...

Being a moron and a monster is not mutually exclusive?

15. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Really not sure why any of you are equating or inferring what I said to "coddling", "superiority", "ignoring obstruction", or "naive". Noting someone's ridiculous actions/ behavior or pointing out hypocrisy is understandable and completely justified but poking fun repeatedly at people is counterproductive. That's pretty much all that I said. If you feel that it's a ridiculous/ dumb perspective... cool. Have fun with the yuk yuks but I don't think that there's any need to put words in my mouth.

Dineley likes this.
  16. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

He's not a moron. He knows what he's saying is stupid and gets people killed. He just doesn't care. Which makes him a monster.

aesthyrian likes this.
  17. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

I think you're giving him too much credit?

I really think he believes what he's saying, but that's just me...

18. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

You keep forgetting that Trump is not the problem. McConnell was obstructing Obama before Trump even ran for office. These people have a different world view than you, and neither one is "right" or "better". They are just different. Without learning to live with that, you are just going to be pissed off at half the country your entire life.

19. MaxOfMetal

I'd argue that there is a "right" and "better" in the context of the health, safety, and prosperity of the American people. Not that either "side" in our two party system has more of a hold on what would be better, as the goals seem to be very different, but it's beyond just having a difference of opinion.

For instance big vs. small government is something to have an opinion about when weighed. There is no opinion to be had about anthropogenic climate change.

20. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

The obstruction I'm talking about will end Jan 20 at 12:00 BUT it could have ended days ago...