US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

It seems ironic to me that in a country that prides itself on democracy now has large groups manifesting to stop counting votes. Then again, I am not American so what do I know on US culture :shrug:

I do though wish you guys to have a peaceful next 4 years and that the social issues you face gets peacefully solved somehow.

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Nah, I think you've got it. We want to say that we have all these feel-good values, but the nanosecond they conflict with our desires, they go out the window.

3. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Alot of the Right Wing press in the UK is claiming that "...many Americans...." believe Kamala Harris is the "...Trojan Horse of the Hard Left..." sneaking in to power in the US, and the amount of support Trump has in the UK going by alot of the usual right wing papers, call in shows and whatever, and obviously the usual Pro Brexit tudthumping ghouls who seem to regulary get air time on UK tv backing his imaginary postal vote fraud claims is staggering. The "footballification" of politics in the US and UK, especially fuelled by the right wing/billionaire owned/Murdoch media, over the last 4 or 5 years is to blame for so much right now

4. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

yep, I'm not one to consider myself let wing by any means, but the current right wing press and their "the louder we shout it, the more true it becomes" attitude is literally destroying the the UK and setting the world back years, if not decades :(

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Side note... she's the one who was duped by Cheney into reporting (via dubious circular reporting) the yellow cake and enrichment program by Iraq back in 2002.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  6. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

We do have these far right supporters in Canada too, where facts are not important as the thruth is only determined by how loud you yell it. This is particularly true in the current climate with COVID and economical hardship we experience. I personally don't care much for politics, but I care for science by trade. Not facing facts is always a huge set back for society, no matter the popular polical views. This is what is scaring the hell out of me right now.

XPT707FX, _MonSTeR_, budda and 3 others like this.
  7. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

Voting is pretty much a front for as long as you have a political system where decisions are bought (and it's legal to do so). Biden = Trump. It doesn't matter at all.

8. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

This is mind blowing coming from Fox News. If they start calling the president out on his shit, all he'll have left is OAN to keep his self-fulfilling echo chamber intact.

There was a genius level edit on the news this morning of the massive "protests" going on in various states outside polling places. One group chanting "stop the vote" while in another state a similar group were chanting "count the votes." Somebody in the editing department put them side-by-side and time aligned the chants. And the ridiculousness of what we're witnessing made me burst into tear inducing laughter.

I mean, seriously, what the hell is this world that both of these can be coming from the same camp based on where in the country you are? There's literally no end to the insanity.

Based on the temper tantrum lawsuits already filed, I expect regardless of the actual results once fully tallied to see some seriously hinky shit going on with the electoral college. If the Trump team manages to fuck that up, things are gonna get a whole lot uglier.

XPT707FX, USMarine75 and sleewell like this.
  9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Any idea where we stand? Because it appears to be "Same place as 12 hours ago"

failsafe likes this.
  10. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i think PA will go to biden and even if trump gets every other state, including AZ, it won't be enough. Most of the votes remaining from GA are from atlanta so that could go to biden but he wont need anything else if he gets PA.

i thought i heard there would be updates around noon and then 7pm.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

This isn’t true at all. LOW voter turnout and voters being “loyal” to a party or person hurt democracy.

But voting can resolve the very issues with our system:

Want to add term limits? Vote in candidates who support it against the pressures from the DNC/RNC.

Want to get money out of politics? Vote in candidates w/out corporate backing (very difficult due to low #, so have to start with smaller local candidates & build support).

Want to increase economic activity in a region with public transport like high speed rail? Vote in those who support it.

The system has been streamlined by the players to cheat & stack the deck in their favor and that is 100% wrong, but the voters are the ones allowing it to happen. They vote for senators who sit on hundreds of house bills doing nothing, and then reward them by electing those senators again. -What incentive do the officials have to do anything? They already have party loyalty.

I personally still can’t believe “lobbying/corporate donations” are legal. Only acceptable option would be for a firm to go before congress and plead their case in a hearing where everything is recorded and can be reviewed by the public/experts. With no donations given to anyone.

But I have to sit here and worry about this issue while other voters ignore it. Because most people only like big wedge issues, and the GOP like to keep trotting out the same few: treating LGBT poorly, Religion, communism/patriotism, being anti-choice. 40+ years of the same regressive “points”.

So there’s no room on short ads and tv networks for nuanced discussion. You literally HAVE to vote and vote consistently if you want to see a difference in things anywhere.

“Voting is a sham” is the exact thing the RNC & DNC benefit from in specific areas. The DNC seeing another potentially split ticket (or progressives just staying home in protest) caused them to add more progressive points to their platform - even if they were dragged kicking and screaming the whole time.

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

if you think that anything Biden and the dems can do in the next four years is as bad as what trumps already done.

you're dumb as shit dude.

13. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

The entire history of the usa isnt peaceful, why would it start now :lol:

14. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I've seen the argument that now the GOP technically has what they really need they don't need Trump anymore. They've got the courts; they've got the Senate (probably) who will be able to make the democrats look ineffective, which they'll leverage into midterms. In 2024, if they put up any sane-appearing person, they'll probably take the White House easily. Hell, they can do Trump as dirty as they want, and it's not like his followers are going to change party allegiance over it.

Cyanide_Anima and failsafe like this.
  15. nightflameauto

Truth of the matter is Kamala Harris is so far from hard left that she could have been a Republican a few years back. You know, before they lost their collective minds and decided they were a Trump cult.

In an interesting bit of news, sportsbet is paying out on people that bet Biden would win the election.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-will-pay-out-early-on-biden-as-u-s-president

That's millions of dollars being paid out on an outcome that isn't certain. They've been burned before when paying out early, so that's not really an indication of anything other than how crazy sportsbet management is. Just one more cray-cray on the cray-cray pile for 2020.

16. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Obviously I am in the UK but what the normal papers are reporting here is that basically Trump needs to win all 5 remaing states left to call in order to remain President and Alaska is the only nail on Trump win.

Thats what made me laugh about the UK Press line on her now, compared to whats been previously reported about her time as DA then AG in California! In the UK Right Wing Press the new terror for your average suburban white middle class home counties middleaged/elderly voter to be scared of, on top of Muslims, knife crime, BLM, Extinction Rebellion etc, is "The Hard Left"

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  17. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

I guess this person is just testing out some excuses of why they were a trump supporter. Kind of like all the nazis after the war that were "just following orders".

Mathemagician likes this.
  18. nightflameauto

In America that's turned into "The Radical Left" now. Radical sounds so much more. . . radical than hard.

19. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

The dude he was responding to is in Finland... Do they have Trump supporters up there? Sucks, because I thought Finns were seeing a decline in alcoholism...

20. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Over the last year they’ve put some distance between themselves and Trump. Trump’s base considers them to be just another leftist-controlled MSM source.

I frequent a forum that’s primarily pro-Trump as I get a kick out of the crazier shit they say, but it’s also been a good place to see where the collective Trump supporter heads are at. It’s a conspiracy theory site that somehow was infiltrated by Trumpers in 2015, so it’s become a shadow of it’s former self, but still a great look at how Trumpers feel about everything when they’re left to post their BS without restriction. (AboveTopSecret.com, for the curious, just click on Recent and you’ll see what I’m talking about)