US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Worth checking out bree newsome bass' tweets today.

Dineley and StevenC like this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Right, if nothing else it's a repudiation of all things Dem and a reinforcement of all things Trump. If Trump somehow pulled this off he should double down on everything he did in his first term. But hopefully the numbers hold and Biden pulls this off with 270.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I'm a firm believer that everybody gets one when it comes to Russian collusion. We both had ours in 2016, anything after that is on you.

4. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Joe just got Wisconsin

5. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

The map I'm looking at shows WI called for Biden. One step closer to better things.

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

already saying they will demand a recount.

the senate was a slaughter.

jeez. 4 years of nothing getting done even if Biden wins.

7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

In Denmark most of our shitty politicians (yes they are also shit, pretty much like yours) are also politicians for life and have never worked in the real world, making one wonder how they can act in the interest of people of whom they don't relate to.
    We do have a campaing funds for every party, big or small from taxes to try and keep money out of it. Though you can still donate through policital found rasing organizations which suck. Obviously all the right wing parties get the most money, while the left wing parties are supported by various worker unions, but still they have less money to campaign for.. I fail to see how this is not a corrupt system.

There is one party, which by all US standards would be deemed communist, in fact it is a merger of several smaller parties, including the communist party from 30 years ago. That party has a rule that you donate most of your MP salery to the party (called a party tax), which uses is for campaign funding. The MPs are then left with the equivalent amount to the average income in the country. They also have a rule that you can only run for parliament (with support from the party) for 8 years, after that you have to go out into the real world for at least 4 years before you can be voted in as an MP again.
    Like communist or not, I think their way of doing it is the way it should be done for all politicians in all countries.

Another downside of your 'majority of votes get all the seats / reps' is that it is almost impossible for new small parties to get into congress. In Denmark we have about 10 parties (they come and go all the time, so I don't have the exact count) with the only rule being that you must get 2% of the total votes to get into parliament, to prevent each member representing their own party. Thus no party ever have the 50% majority, so any law that is passed is always a compromise between at least 3 parties and usually more, and they seem to get a lot more laws passed than you do, because they are not locked into a 2 party system.

Not saying our version is perfect and it probably wouldn't work the same on a scale such as the US, but just for inspiration and reflection.

Millul, LordIronSpatula and budda like this.
  8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

AP has "offially" given Wisconsin to Biden.

Screenshot_20201104-114305_Samsung Internet.jpg

9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Nevada still makes me kinda nervous. It's been several hours since their tally updated, and it's still much too close for comfort.

10. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Getting nothing done would be a nice break from the constant stream of bullshit we've watched over the last four years.

Too bad the rhetoric during the next four years if Biden wins will be heartbreakingly horrible.

11. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

Good luck, America! It is entirely baffling to me to see that so many people still voted for Trump. I work closely with people in Houston and they were very pro-Trump in 2016 but are now all pro-Biden, if only to get rid of Trump. It's funny (in a sick way) to listen to them talk now vs in 2016 when there was no way in hell they would ever vote for the Democrats.

12. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Lot of talk here in the UK today as to why its so close rather than a landslide for Biden has been that Biden just doesnt have that bit of magic or star charisma that someone up against Trump really needed to bring more over to the Democrats side. Is that fair? Would that have worked, would it have been so close if it was someone like Obama or Clinton?

13. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

You know how stoked I am to possibly not have to read “Trump lashes out at (x)” 30 times a day in the headlines?

14. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I mean, we kinda know the answer. I don't even know if Obama could have beaten Trump as part of Trump's appeal is basically that he's the anti-Obama, a man with no facade of civility and no pretense of still wanting to serve those who disagree with him. That's why he was so effective at energizing the Republican base. As far as Hillary... well, he already beat her once. :shrug:

I mean, I guess if Biden can beat him, Obama might have been able to as well.
    I fully expect it to be like Dave Mustaine grousing about Metallica for the rest of his life.

15. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

The former is hoping to one day be rich and take advantage of others, while the latter is caring for others and the greater good even if you don't benefit from it personally.

The difference between Republicans and Democrats is literally the capacity for empathy, and Trump is living proof of that.

xzacx, Dineley, StevenC and 1 other person like this.
  16. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

26F31923-55EF-4137-B4B8-1B2B81BBA677.png At least now those of us considering a move to the States in the future know where not to live now...

17. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I mean, that's hardly news...has been the same map for a long time.
    Also for some reason, just happens to match a bunch of other interesting metrics such as education level, income, GDP per capita etc etc

18. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

MI up to 99%. looks like a win for Biden. PA got much closer too with a lot more votes still coming in.

19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

That might be a fair assessment. It seems like a desirable VP is somewhat of a moderate, non-obtrusive character where a president needs to have that "star charisma," for better or for worse. VP's like the rhythm guitarist where the president is the classic frontman, if that makes sense. Biden, I guess the question is if he's frontman material.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  20. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

But what if the rhythm guitarist is the frontman?