US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can't believe people still respond to that shit-posting flame-magnet. Granted, that was a minimal effort toilet bomb with some seriously disturbing logic, but seriously. Why encourage it?

I did have a deep-thought post brewing in my mind about the blame game and how we're all so wrapped up in it we can't solve any political problem because we don't care to solve it, we're far more interested in finding out who to blame.

Reading his post made what I assume at one time was a rational point in my mind into that little run-on of stupid. So fuck him.t

I wonder if HR would accept, "Read a Glades post by accident" as a reason for a mental health day?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I can't believe people still respond to that shit-posting flame-magnet. Granted, that was a minimal effort toilet bomb with some seriously disturbing logic, but seriously. Why encourage it?

I did have a deep-thought post brewing in my mind about the blame game and how we're all so wrapped up in it we can't solve any political problem because we don't care to solve it, we're far more interested in finding out who to blame.

Reading his post made what I assume at one time was a rational point in my mind into that little run-on of stupid. So fuck him.t

I wonder if HR would accept, "Read a Glades post by accident" as a reason for a mental health day?
I suppose I took it personally as he's taking a shot at my father, but yeah, I gotta stop feeding the trolls.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know any odds that congress will get Trump's taxes before the session expires?

Last press I've seen about it is that no one knows what's in there, but that most news outlets are now convinced that the whole thing is just going to be another nothingburger that will prove to conservatives that there is a witch hunt for Trump. No one is saying how long before anyone knows anything, though.

If there's really nothing incriminating in there, it seems weird that he fought so hard for 7ish years to keep those documents totally secret. But maybe this is another 5D chess move.

ArtDecade

Pink Spider
Reaction score
Anyone know any odds that congress will get Trump's taxes before the session expires?

Last press I've seen about it is that no one knows what's in there, but that most news outlets are now convinced that the whole thing is just going to be another nothingburger that will prove to conservatives that there is a witch hunt for Trump. No one is saying how long before anyone knows anything, though.

If there's really nothing incriminating in there, it seems weird that he fought so hard for 7ish years to keep those documents totally secret. But maybe this is another 5D chess move.

If nothing else, the taxes will be in the hands of the DOJ.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yet another time we'll get proof that, as incompetent and Trump and his team appear to be, the "functional" parts of our government are just so much more incompetent than that that it makes them appear smart.

This too shall pass. About all I can say about that.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd say pretty good, but not with enough time to do more with them than release them to the public, or turn them over to the (still Democratically controlled) Senate.

Both of which the House is empowered to do, for what it's worth.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
A bill protecting same-sex marriage just passed the Senate 61-39, prohibiting states from denying the validity of out of state marriages based on sex, race, or ethnicity. :yesway: It should pass the House and go to Biden's desk next week.
Here's the list of assholes who voted against it, if anyone is interested.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score

I am confused about this law ….

Wouldn’t forcing states to recognize marriage licenses from other states be in violation of the Tenth Amendment? I didn’t think the Federal government had the authority over the states on marriage. But I’m not a lawyer so what do I know? Maybe someone can explain this.

My Florida Conceal Carry Permit is not recognized or valid in NY or CA. Will this extend to other forms of state-issued documents/permits?

I am sure this will eventually be reviewed by the SCOTUS, and make a ruling on its constitutionality.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm no law-ologist, or constitutional scholar, but I'm sure there are tons of things that cross some theoretical line set out by the 10th and "interpreted" whatever way is convenient to get your own way. Like everything else, it only starts to "matter" when someone doesn't get what they want. (Or when someone does get something that conservative types think they shouldn't.) If you have to lean on some arbitrary text to be able to tell what's wrong or right, maybe it's worth rethinking why you're digging for that justification in the first place - as in, introspect why it bothers you that gay people are legally protected in their right to get married if they want to.

The constitution - any constitution - is a flawed document that does not serve as a source of truth or justice. It's just a tool, like any other document. And it really needs to get with the times.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Fucking Rand Paul.

So many who point to that guy when they say "libertarian." The idea of libertarianism is that it shouldn't be banned by law if it doesn't hurt anybody. This bill was the definition of removing legal bans on something that doesn't hurt anybody, and he voted against it.

Anyway...

I am confused about this law ….

Wouldn’t forcing states to recognize marriage licenses from other states be in violation of the Tenth Amendment? I didn’t think the Federal government had the authority over the states on marriage. But I’m not a lawyer so what do I know? Maybe someone can explain this.

My Florida Conceal Carry Permit is not recognized or valid in NY or CA. Will this extend to other forms of state-issued documents/permits?

I am sure this will eventually be reviewed by the SCOTUS, and make a ruling on its constitutionality.

Well, before you get all fired up, let's look at the actual tenth amendment, shall we?

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

How does forcing a state to recognize a license from another state violate that?

And then your analogy. I suppose it'd be a good analogy, if, say, the state of NY didn't recognize any marriages. But they do. So, I'm not sure what your point is, actually. But, no state refuses to recognize marriages across the board, and, in fact, if you are married in any state, or even overseas, every state will recognize that marriage, unless it is a same sex marriage.

So that's a specific exclusion. We are Americans, and we don't historically like specific exclusions of people based on race, gender, disability, or sexual orientation. Basically anything to do with identity.

Another example: you cannot get a concealed carry permit here in VT. Not because VT doesn't want you to concealed carry, but because they don't license that behaviour- anyone here can do it. So, technically, your CCW is no good here in VT, either. However, you can still concealed carry here because anyone can do it... the sort of unintentional effect is that residents of Vermont cannot get a license for something that doesn't require a license, so, if they travel to FL, they can no longer concealed carry. Yet, who is complaining about that?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And then your analogy. I suppose it'd be a good analogy, if, say, the state of NY didn't recognize any marriages. But they do. So, I'm not sure what your point is, actually. But, no state refuses to recognize marriages across the board, and, in fact, if you are married in any state, or even overseas, every state will recognize that marriage, unless it is a same sex marriage.

okay but what about gay concealed carry permits

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
okay but what about gay concealed carry permits
In VT, all of the gay guns are out in the open, so we only conceal the bisexual ones.:guns:

Totally OT, but this weirdly reminds me of when people asked one of the puppeteers on Sesame Street (maybe Frank Oz, I don't recall) if Burt and Ernie were gay and he said something to the effect of "They are puppets who teach preschoolers the alphabet, not humans" or something of the same gist, or, what I read as "Dafuq you asking?" But, for whatever reason, people seem to be way overly concerned with the private preferences of other people. On one level, it's just comical, but it stops being funny the moment you realize that they are hurting people.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
But, for whatever reason, people seem to be way overly concerned with the private preferences of other people.
I always read that as people fishing for representation opportunities, rather than trying to tear down Muppets (although I'm sure that also happens). Still weird, but I can understand the motivation.

But hey, we live in modern times, where identity is everything to some people.