US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah it’s definitely worrying. I can’t say I agreed with her policy votes much but vanilla low-tax leave people alone conservatives are essentially at the mercy of the vocal minority that has presented itself as the “Conservative party”.

She was at least willing to openly criticize trump. We saw how fast other “conservatives” folded “in line” like Rubio, Cruz, and Graham.

I don’t get deification of a rich NY real estate guy’s son. Why? Because he insults immigrants? Or the classic refrain I heard from fundies “He doesn’t have to be Christian to be used by god”. You know, fairy tales.

Are there no other conservative options that just want to talk about budgets?
I mean, Reagan's GOP is pretty clearly dead. For better or for worse Trump finished what the Tea Party started and turned the GOP into a hyper-nationalist populist party characterized by a healthy dose of white resentment. Traditional conservative small government republicanism is mostly a regional thing these days - we have a few of them left in the northeast, but even here they're fighting the Trump-remade iteration of the party and with time will probably lose.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Lets stop calling it "January 6th" and start calling it "Treason day", please.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Lets stop calling it "January 6th" and start calling it "Treason day", please.
I'm actually ok with the, well, non One American and Fox media has settled on "January 6th Insurrection." It's a pretty apt description, both the fact that it was an armed uprising trying to block the peaceful transfer of power, but it wasn't especially well organized and was for the most part only a loosely organized mob.

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On the whole "laws and morals are from religion" thing, I was in Norway over the summer, a nation whose population is roughly 70% atheist, and it was bedlam. Chronic mass shootings and murder, people falling between the cracks, cast out on the street, no public health care, everyone being really cruel and uncivil to each other, I tell ya, what a nightmare.

Except that it was the precise opposite of all those things. Hell, even their legal institutions don't seem nearly as concerned with punishing lawbreakers to play out that eye-for-an-eye fetishism, but rather seem to focus on rehabilitation and public safety.

And if I cast a glace over the nations that try to weave religion into their government or legal institutions, I get this sense that there may in fact be an inverse relationship between theistic absolutism and ethical behaviour. Hmm, funny that.

Riff the Road Dog

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And if I cast a glace over the nations that try to weave religion into their government or legal institutions, I get this sense that there may in fact be an inverse relationship between theistic absolutism and ethical behaviour. Hmm, funny that.
...not to mention their economies are for sh*t.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Except the problem isn't the dissenting opinion, it's the disinterest in discourse.

For example:

Guns. USA is the only country where this routinely happens. Most lefty types would like something to be done about this. Pro gun people come in and say something about the 2A. But the problem is the justification for the 2A hasn't been relevant for at least 100 years, and every other country in the world with less tyranny than the USA doesn't have a 2A equivalent. So pro gun peeps just nope out of the conversation or get up in their feelings, instead of saying "I like guns and should be allowed to keep them". The conversation can't go anywhere because one side has solutions and the other does not want solutions.

Climate change. The overwhelming majority of scientists agree that human influenced climate change is a real thing. The planet is heating at an unprecedented rate and every year we're having once in a lifetime weather events. All the science and reality says something needs to be done. Right wing types just disagree without justification.

Vaccines. Literally the greatest technological innovation in human history. Saves untold lives. Incredibly safe. Plenty of research behind them. Antivax exist for some reason. Sometimes they say "my body my choice" while unironically being anti-...

Abortion. Glades just did this. "pro-women's rights, anti abortion". Literally doesn't mean anything. No interest in a conversation because apparently it's decreed from god, no other justifications offered. Life begins at conception "because scientists said so" but that's the only time we care what science says. But it's literally a philosophical issue. This one is all double think.

Etc

When dissenting views come in here with good faith arguments they will be taken seriously. That hasn't happened. Meanwhile pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages (seriously guys) of Drew and bostjan bickering over some inane disagreement firing endless articles at each other, because they know how to construct and have a debate. Meanwhile meanwhile, dissenting voices just won't reply when one engages with them.
soooo....incredibly well said......

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I wonder what the future of the Jan 6 court will be with her gone. Who's picking up the torch?
She's not gone. She is there for the rest of the year, just like the rest of the J6 commission....which is more than enough time to to prove Trump has been a crook centered around selling US secrets to Putin since day one. She will get her job done....and IF there really is a god as you contend, her soul is saved and Trump and his supporters can rot in hell for trying to overthrow a Constitution they always thought Jesus had a hand in writing.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
She's not gone. She is there for the rest of the year, just like the rest of the J6 commission....which is more than enough time to to prove Trump has been a crook centered around selling US secrets to Putin since day one. She will get her job done....and IF there really is a god as you contend, her soul is saved and Trump and his supporters can rot in hell for trying to overthrow a Constitution they always thought Jesus had a hand in writing.
That’s a troll post. No way you believe any of that.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
The whole Trump thing. I mean after 2 impeachments, Russiagate, and the J6 hearings they have nothing on the guy.

We'll just continue to hear about January 6th for the next two years until Trump or someone else from "team red" takes his place.

I wish the democrats could and would produce an actual candidate, but the party is content with low value meatbags that are easy to control from behind the scenes instead.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Trump immediately demands a pro Russia narrative as part of the GOP platform at the nomination
Trump immediately nominates a disgraced general who hates America and frequently attended Putin meeting in Russia as NSC
Trump has to immediately fire his NSC for trying to establish secret backwater channels for communicating with Russia
Trump shares intel with Russia in the oval office
Trump refuses to let American press or observers in meeting with Russian ambassador or Putin
Trump pushes Russian narrative on Ukraine
Trump nominates a sec of state whose only experience is as an exxon exec who was trying to make an oil deal with Russia
Trump sec of state spends every waking moment hollowing out the state department so America has no ability to lead in the world anymore

I could go one forever....including most recently Trump has been found to be hoarding TS material. Just because idiot republican decided that the glove didn't fit TWICE because of politics does not mean he is not a Russian sympathizing crook.

There have been good presidents and there have been bad presidents and everything in between. Trump was the first ever Russian dick sucking president. That is not a troll comment. Trump has been a traitor since the day he took office

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
We'll just continue to hear about January 6th for the next two years until Trump or someone else from "team red" takes his place.

I wish the democrats could and would produce an actual candidate, but the party is content with low value meatbags that are easy to control from behind the scenes instead.
Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds like you are saying that Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing. Liberals just can't stop talking about Trump.

I'll meet y'all half way. If Trump will shut the fuck up and stop talking about a stolen election and the deep state out to get him, I'll shut the fuck up about Trump.

Oh and Trump has to admit there is no such thing as "deep state" They are called bureaucrats and every single government needs them to operate and they operate better if they aren't cult members.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Trump wanted to give himself the medal of honor for his trips to Iraq. There's gotta be some level of pissing all over everything sacred that just auto-enacts impeachment, really.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The whole Trump thing. I mean after 2 impeachments, Russiagate, and the J6 hearings they have nothing on the guy.
How cloistered are you that you could possibly think this? Publicly available evidence already shows him to have broken a ton of laws. The question is whether the will exists to prosecute him, and for how many crimes.

It should surprise no one to hear that "are they guilty" isn't the top criterion when making the decision to prosecute a public/rich/connected figure. The #1 calculation, it would seem, relates to how doing so would serve the prosecutors' interests and those of their "team", however construed (the department, their party, their "side" in the culture war, etc.).

I mean, didn't he have the presidential seal stickered everywhere at some golf tournament he hosted a couple months ago? It probably doesn't make the top hundred list, but demonstrates his open disregard for the law.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds like you are saying that Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing. Liberals just can't stop talking about Trump.

I'll meet y'all half way. If Trump will shut the fuck up and stop talking about a stolen election and the deep state out to get him, I'll shut the fuck up about Trump.

Oh and Trump has to admit there is no such thing as "deep state" They are called bureaucrats and every single government needs them to operate and they operate better if they aren't cult members.

Dude I wish I had the ability to make him shut the fuck up 🤣