US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But her EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Funny thing about that...

Even the investigator who oversaw that Department of Justice investigation into Clinton's handling of classified information says this is shocking:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Here's a horrible thought that I am ashamed to admit but it finally hit me. The Trump supporters and pro Russian anarchists have so sullied the American flag and it's meaning that it looks tacky to me. I used to think it an absolutely beautiful flag. But its association is tainted. Is there anyone else who has suffered a depreciation in the regard they hold for this symbol? I want my flag back.
Yeah, I agree. Part of patriotism puts national identity above humanity though. Effectively, ever since I finished my degree in anthropology, I have seen flags, in general, as being an exclusive rather than inclusive piece of propaganda. Coming up on this 4th of July though, right after the Supreme Court rolled back Roe vs Wade (ignoring 49 years of legal precedent), I really did not feel like making any salutes to the flag that is supposed to be a symbol of the people of these United States.

Really though, I had to edit the last sentence several times to even find wording that felt appropriate.
Me too. I've said the exact same words many times now. Time to take it back.

When did this symbol of our country, supposedly protected by federal law from desecration, alteration, and improper disposal, become a dog whistle for far right nationalist nut jobs? And, not to be misconstrued as any kind of disrespect for law enforcement, bastardized by a black and grey version with one blue stripe in support of propaganda for any subsection of the population of this country?
It is insane how many people wave flags, often from trucks, also from clothing, that are completely unaware that there are laws detailing the care of that symbol. If I recall, aren't waving tattered flags or wearing flags on clothing expressly forbidden in the flag code?

§8. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
(Added Pub. L. 105–225, §2(a), Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1497.)

The U.S. Flag Code literally prohibits wearing as apparel and also separately prohibits fastening and displaying in a way in which it can be easily torn. I am pretty sure flying it on a truck fits that part E description.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
1.) The Trump Rambo flag was really popular in my neck of the woods for a while. One guy in particular had it in a plexiglass case on his lawn to make sure it wouldn't get defaced.

Worth noting all of them sun bleached in a couple months because I'm sure they're cheap sweatshop garbage befitting of the man.

2.) Yeah, I'm way way out on the flag. It legit just looks like a Trump campaign banner to me at this point. I wasn't ultra happy about the use of the flag during the "you're not a real Patriot" GWB middle east genocide boner, but thought the symbol of the flag had a quality resurgence when Obama came in. Son of an immigrant, biracial, single parent household, etc. Felt right.

Trump and his fucks dealt a heavy blow, and Biden's America hasn't been inspiring enough to bridge the gap yet. Shit like this didn't help either:

b22ae3001f142a69a0b671243386797f15-29-president-trump-american-flag-cpac-20.rsquare.w700.jpg
Well that particular flag now has a Russian strain of herpes and orange makeup on it so....maybe we get a different one back

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
1660442493309.png

some thing seems........off. Can't put my finger on it

1660442786876.png

Why do I feel less patriotic? Why do I feel less united? Why am I surrounded by tacky? I know this is a guitar forum and I've never romanticized the US flag but damn....how is it that I can't fly one without people wondering if I am one of the ones who wants to overthrow the government? The irony.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 112453

Why do I feel less patriotic? Why do I feel less united? Why am I surrounded by tacky? I know this is a guitar forum and I've never romanticized the US flag but damn....how is it that I can't fly one without people wondering if I am one of the ones who wants to overthrow the government? The irony.

It's OK to not feel patriotic for this one. That's not an American flag. it has 15 stripes. :facepalm: :lol:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score
Speaking as a Canadian, I was already getting pretty cool on our flag in general these past few years over treatment of the first nations, but what really cemented my dismay for it was the discovery of mass graves of indigenous children.

If nothing else, I was already emotionally divorced from it by the time the trucker convoys rolled around, so seeing assholes waving it around braying and whining about their own selfish interests wasn't nearly as shocking by that point.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It is insane how many people wave flags, often from trucks, also from clothing, that are completely unaware that there are laws detailing the care of that symbol. If I recall, aren't waving tattered flags or wearing flags on clothing expressly forbidden in the flag code?

The U.S. Flag Code literally prohibits wearing as apparel and also separately prohibits fastening and displaying in a way in which it can be easily torn. I am pretty sure flying it on a truck fits that part E description.

Who cares? If a country wants to fine and jail its citizens for HOW they display its flag... then it doesn't fucking deserve any loyalty or any citizens that appreciate its flag.

If we start applying some wacky archaic laws to people we don't like, well, fuck us then.

EVEN if said flag-brandishing citizens are assholes.

Last edited:

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Part of patriotism puts national identity above humanity though. Effectively, ever since I finished my degree in anthropology, I have seen flags, in general, as being an exclusive rather than inclusive piece of propaganda. Coming up on this 4th of July though, right after the Supreme Court rolled back Roe vs Wade (ignoring 49 years of legal precedent), I really did not feel like making any salutes to the flag that is supposed to be a symbol of the people of these United States.

Really though, I had to edit the last sentence several times to even find wording that felt appropriate.

The flag code isn't law, just guidelines...and I'm not even sure they pertain to "civilian" usage. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't get, like, a ticket for violating the flag code, unless what you're doing is breaking another law, like littering or having unlicensed fires, etc.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Speaking as a Canadian, I was already getting pretty cool on our flag in general these past few years over treatment of the first nations, but what really cemented my dismay for it was the discovery of mass graves of indigenous children.

If nothing else, I was already emotionally divorced from it by the time the trucker convoys rolled around, so seeing assholes waving it around braying and whining about their own selfish interests wasn't nearly as shocking by that point.
Yeah, that is why my prior post was difficult to write. I wanted to write something along the lines of "the flag being a symbol of the people of this nation", but that discounts all of the people and nations that preceded the colonies.

I recently read some far right propaganda about illegal immigrants displacing "the original, English-speaking people" and just had to shake my head. There are many who know little of history and have no interest learning of the atrocities on which this country was built. Progress takes a long time. It is hard watching a significant portion of the country want to regress.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Yeah, that is why my prior post was difficult to write. I wanted to write something along the lines of "the flag being a symbol of the people of this nation", but that discounts all of the people and nations that preceded the colonies.

I recently read some far right propaganda about illegal immigrants displacing "the original, English-speaking people" and just had to shake my head. There are many who know little of history and have no interest learning of the atrocities on which this country was built. Progress takes a long time. It is hard watching a significant portion of the country want to regress.

But on the other hand you have land acknowledgements, which strike me as the worst sort of wokeism. "I just want to take this time to acknowledge that we took this land. I don't want to get into doing anything about it or ways we could make the lives of indigenous people better, but I do want to acknowledge that there was a travesty roughly where my house/uni/company is now."

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
The flag code isn't law, just guidelines...and I'm not even sure they pertain to "civilian" usage. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't get, like, a ticket for violating the flag code, unless what you're doing is breaking another law, like littering or having unlicensed fires, etc.
Even flag burning is a protected right, per 1989's SC decision on Texas vs Johnson.

My take on it is that we need as a country some common ground values and symbols to remain united. It used to be the flag, the constitution and national identity.
We are tribal creatures. We always have been. We tend to associate with people that are like us and push away those that are different. Its instinct.
But we live in a tremendously diverse country with people with many cultures, creeds and languages. In order to avoid going to war with each other on every front, we need a symbol of unity to keep us together. I don't think it is a bad thing to use the American flag as that symbol.

narad

Reaction score
Even flag burning is a protected right, per 1989's SC decision on Texas vs Johnson.

My take on it is that we need as a country some common ground values and symbols to remain united. It used to be the flag, the constitution and national identity.
We are tribal creatures. We always have been. We tend to associate with people that are like us and push away those that are different. Its instinct.
But we live in a tremendously diverse country with people with many cultures, creeds and languages. In order to avoid going to war with each other on every front, we need a symbol of unity to keep us together. I don't think it is a bad thing to use the American flag as that symbol.

236-2366773_mcdonalds-of-bowling-green-is-now-hiring-mcdonalds.png

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
View attachment 112452

some thing seems........off. Can't put my finger on it

View attachment 112453

I hear ya because now when you see someone with an American flag, the majority of the time there's a trump flag/sticker or some other pro trump let's go Brandon bullshit next to it.

The whole cult is an embarrassment to this country and trump made our country less respectable by making it a brand lifestyle to be a piece of shit.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to admit I have a knee-jerk when I see the flag now in a very negative way. Unless it's also accompanied by one of those now, seemingly, trite "This is a flag for all our nation's people. All of them. Period." type sayings. And even then I have to think about it. I dunno. The people convinced it'd be better if all us libtards died and left them to build the country they wanted are included? I don't know about that.

As a student of conspiracy theories and crackpot lunacy for both protecting myself from the worst of the stupidity (thanks grandma) and so I can properly ridicule those that believe the dumbest of the dumb, I have so much fun playing with the 'prophecies' and 'foretellings' out there. Brace yourself, I'm gonna mix some reality with some stupid here for a moment.

My favorite crackpot nonsense right now is folding together Revelations and some of the Nostradamus predictions. Nostradamus foretold of a prince rising in the west that would bring about "great suffering" and such. The predictions included what most that looked at it in the late twentieth century thought must be nuclear war. (The great fires.). Many tied this coming prince up with the Revelations story, predicting this prince would be "The Beast."

So, Donald Trump / Drumph? Arguably a prince. His dad built an empire. And while the prince has turned it into a global brand, he's also lost that money many times over. Over the last ten years or so, he's deeply embedded himself into the very fabric of our nation, to the point where many would be and / or absolutely are willing to die for him. Now, on the possible cusp of the great prince's fall, we watch warily as we await the outcome. If law enforcement chooses to act on the information they have in their hands, what will actually happen? Will his followers attack their fellow citizens for their new god? Or will they turn and bow their heads in shame when they realize what he is?

I don't think it's hard to see which outcome is more likely.

Back to reality:
Really? What happens if Trump is taken into custody and sent to trial for treason? If we as a country survive the Trumpertantrum that happens after that, what happens when he's found guilty?

There's a legitimate reason to be concerned here, far beyond the conspiracy lunacy. Hell, we're living through the conspiracy lunacy becoming real. What a damned mess.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
The adoption of the American iconography by the Trump campaign is probably a consequence of his criticism by the radical left. I have been extremely critical of this. The problem is that it disenfranchises the non-radical democrats which are the vast majority. Most democrats still love this country and don’t believe in radical ideologies. The flag belongs to all.

narad

Reaction score
If law enforcement chooses to act on the information they have in their hands, what will actually happen? Will his followers attack their fellow citizens for their new god?
They going to band together and refuse to ring me up at Auto Zone?

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
The adoption of the American iconography by the Trump campaign is probably a consequence of his criticism by the radical left. I have been extremely critical of this. The problem is that it disenfranchises the non-radical democrats which are the vast majority. Most democrats still love this country and don’t believe in radical ideologies. The flag belongs to all.
No. It is because tacky people did tacky things with it that goes beyond the basic exploitation of the flag used in any campaign over the decades. But Trump fans are in perpetual campaign/rally mode. The flag has been cheapened by Trump and his fans, not by liberal criticism of a crook.

But that is Trump to a T. Gold is beautiful and elegant and even if overdone (a la the ancient egyptians) it is beautiful. Once Trump get a hold of gold it looks checp.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hear ya because now when you see someone with an American flag, the majority of the time there's a trump flag/sticker or some other pro trump let's go Brandon bullshit next to it.

The whole cult is an embarrassment to this country and trump made our country less respectable by making it a brand lifestyle to be a piece of shit.

I feel like I missed something... who the fuck is Brandon???