Upgrading From Sennheiser HD650s?

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I feel as though I'm not getting as good a high end response from my 650s as I do low end.

Is there something in the $500 range then that would articulate those highs with a little better fidelity?

Will be using these for basic all-around home-recordings if that's of any help.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
everyone's got different ears but to me I think if you want more high end you should try out Beyerdynamics. They've always hurt my ears cause I can't deal with the treble but if Sennis aren't sparkly enough for you I think the Beyers will do the trick.

Seybsnilksz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You could try Sonarworks (or SoundID Reference as I think they call the product now). It corrects some of the EQ-variations on the headphones, and you can add an extra high shelf if you want more.

4Eyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I feel as though I'm not getting as good a high end response from my 650s as I do low end.

Is there something in the $500 range then that would articulate those highs with a little better fidelity?

Will be using these for basic all-around home-recordings if that's of any help.
What do you drive them with?

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
I used to be a big Sennheiser user, until I got the Neumann NDH-20 a couple years back. Completely unrivalled in that price range. If you really need open-backs, I can't imagine the new NDH-30 being much different.

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used to be a big Sennheiser user, until I got the Neumann NDH-20 a couple years back. Completely unrivalled in that price range. If you really need open-backs, I can't imagine the new NDH-30 being much different.
What was it about those Neumanns that you thought made them sound better than the Sennheisers?

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
What was it about those Neumanns that you thought made them sound better than the Sennheisers?
First thing is that I used to dislike closed-backs mainly due to the comfort associated, they always press harder against your head and I feel like Neumann gets the pressure just right. You can keep it on your head for a long time without actually getting that pressing feeling of discomfort after a few hours.
Next to that, it gets the bass response just so much more right than the HD650's in a reference sense. I feel like the Sennheiser's are usually lacking in that area when using it for mixing, because as soon as I take them off to listen through my monitors (Adam A7X), the mids are too dominant for my taste in the 250-400Hz area and I got "mentally used" to have to tweak that area through my monitors again.

I can pretty much completely skip this last step when using the Neumann's as the low mids aren't as suppressed as they are on the HD650's (although admittedly this is also a known difference between open vs closed backs).

Aside from that, when comparing my HD280 Pro's with the Neumanns, the Neumann's have a much more enjoyable and wider soundstage compared to the HD280's which are really direct.

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get Slate VSX. Use it with their plugin. My mix get 10x better once i use it right away