Upgrade to Mesa JP2C?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by saxman42, Feb 23, 2018.

1. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Theres no 5150 in there ;)

rexbinary likes this.
  2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

Yeah, we never got into the III’s...I’ve had 2 MarkIII’s, one a black stripe, the next a blue stripe and yes, they have a very raw, ripping gain structure but my black stripe (or no stripe) really lacked in gain vs. the blue stripe which had WAY more usable gain, but the distortion character still lacked in both my III’s compared to my IV’s (IMO), but I much prefer the tightness and mid-character of the 2-IV(b)’s I’ve had...I still have my rackmount IVb. And again, I’d take a boosted Mark III over a JP...but I’m on the more extreme side of the gain with my playing...the JP is too refined and “nice” for me

3. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Cool. The thing with the IIIs is they are not all created equal. Some kill, some meh. Lots of parts/circuit differences. A Blue or a Green with the right set of preamp tubes will shred (literally lol) a IV. And you won’t need a boost.
    :eddie: :nono: :ninja:

All that said I do like my JP2C. I think the smoothness comes from having the master pot, deep pull function internally hardwired “on”... as that’s the way Petrucci runs his original IIC+ HRG... with the master pot pulled... I prefer it off/pushed in myself... but can compensate with the other other controls, especially the graphic eq. It was designed to fatten/thicken single coil pups.

NateFalcon likes this.
  4. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

I've been thinking about it, and I might actually keep my Mark V:25 after all. If I run the FX send from the V:25 to the FX return of the JP2C, I basically have a full blown Mark V with the tighter power amp of the IIC+. That sounds like a killer combination to me. Has anyone played around with this?

NateFalcon likes this.
  5. NateFalcon

Never tried it with those 2 amps but I use the same setup: a loop/switch to run heads as a power amp. I run one of my Peaveys this way...a 3120 with a Digitech GSP 2101 into the return, switchable. In your case that setup would smoke...switchable back and forth from the V to the JP...yeah!!...

6. NateFalcon

I always used heads instead of power amps for rack gear...you can use them as 2 amps in one...

7. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Your squealing is very normal for the JP2C. It is actually written in the manual. There is plenty of gain!! I would check your pre amp tubes as I had the same exact issue. lack of gain, ended up being a bad tube.

This is the only amp i have tried that does not need a boost (because of the shred) and I am a gain whore. I boost a Rev 2 Uberschall if that tells you anything. There is plenty of gain with the JP2C.

I still do use a separate boost though just for fun and different sound.

Killer amp, Play around with it more.

8. NateFalcon

Why do Mesa’s seem to come with bunk tubes?...3 of the 5 Marks and Recto I’ve had spit tubes out, after a tube change they’ve been fine...once I even had Mesa service my Recto and the tubes didn’t make it an hour after getting it back...?...I like Mesa’s but jeez

9. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

I'm going to try to swap each preamp tube. I've got a good JJ 12AX7 I can swap in and out of a few positions. That said, I've been really liking how it sounds lately. I think I was just having an off day when I first played it. I also picked up an empty rectifier slant 4x12 and got my hands on some free speakers: two Celestion Heritage 30s and two Celestions that are like Vintage 30s with a little less mid spike. I'm hoping those are a good combination.

NateFalcon likes this.
  10. NateFalcon

Mixing “cheaper” speakers can get better results than 4 of the same “nice” speakers...I got a homemade oversized 412 with 2-Egnater elite 80’s and 2-Celestion V12-60 silvers that is the best sounding cab I’ve probably ever played on and smokes my all-Celestion V30 cab...

11. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Speaker price doesn't necessarily relate to quality, either. They're all based on 50s era pro audio designs, with the same stamped baskets, thinnest cone possible and most powerful magnet possible. And of course people will say their $600 upgrade + hassle of offloading/storing the stock speakers fixed their tone!

NateFalcon likes this.
  12. NateFalcon

Agreed...hence my parentheses on cheap, and nice speakers...lots of options out there. My Celestion V12-60 ‘silver series’ are the nicest speakers I’ve found for high gain and distortion...and I totally doubted their low-end capability because of their small magnets -I was blown away!! They’re one of my secret weapons now...

13. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

DO NOT use a JJ preamp tube... they sound like dark, muddy arse. They'll kill the vibe of the amp completely. Get any Chinese, Sino, Ruby 12AX7C5HG or even a Shuguang 12AX7WB. More gain and more focus.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  14. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

It works fine for debug.

15. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Agreed on JJs. Fine for finding a busted tube...but definitely get some Chinese Ruby HG+s and HGs for this thing. I couldn't rip the JJs out of my IVs fast enough.

Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If the JP is anything like my IV or 25, I settled on a tung-sol in V1, and the rest didn't seem to make enough of a difference for me to care. But then I'm also one of the weirdos who keeps the 34+6L6 combo going. :lol:

17. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Wizzard of Ozz, I will catch up one day!!

[​IMG]

Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  18. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

I just did a lot of debug with different preamp tubes. I tried swapping all of my 12AX7s from my MarkV:25 into the JP2C. One of the JP2C tubes is horribly microphonic. That said, it still just doesn't sound right. It sounds like the preamp is folding over itself when the gain and/or treble are turned up. It's not that I don't get loads of gain, it just that it gets flubby and crackly when I turn them up. Is this normal? The best example I can find of the tone I'm trying to get is at 5:21 in the Devon Townsend Gearwhore video of this amp:

For everyone with a JP2C, what are your settings to get that kind of sound? I think I have my settings set the same as his, but it's hard to tell with the resolution of the video.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  19. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

I take that back. I pulled out my Fender Strat and of all my guitars, it sounded incredible! It's just a stock American Deluxe Plus Stratocaster with a Fender Twin Head Modern Humbucker that sounds huge. The guitar I was playing that didn't sound right was my Gibson SG with a SD distortion bridge pickup. This strat blows that thing away. And people say Fenders don't do metal...

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Marks are pretty sensitive to the pickups/guitar you use with them. Maybe because of it not being the usual 5150-style thinking of BURY EVERYTHING IN GAIN. A lot of your actual instrument's character comes through with these, IMO. For better or worse.