Update on my guitars, etc.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by CrushingAnvil, Jun 2, 2020.

1. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land

Edit: SS.org blocked my imgur stuff so I'll upload it later.

Hey guys,

Since I'm such a self-indulgent know-it-all, I wanted to post a thread upon my return to talk about - strictly in terms of gear - where I was, where I'm at now, and where I want to be in the future. Not because I assume that people care and that they hang off my every word, but just on the off chance that some of you enjoy a story about nothing in particular.

Unfortunately, being at work means that I can't post images of everything. Having said that, it would be hard enough trying to find pictures of everything I mention even on my home PC.

I won't go back to the year dot and talk about my Ibanez AX30 in 2003, so I'm starting with my last 7-string guitar, which was a Korean B.C. Rich Stealth Marc Rizzo 7. Conceptually a "brutal" guitar with some pretty nice specs for 2010. Ping OFR-7, EMG 707's, ebony fingerboard, neck-thru construction. "Brutal" neck dive and "brutally" bad fretwork (poorly seated; not XJ). The time of my life when I owned this guitar is actually sort of a blur right now. It was 10 years ago. I was 20 and had no job and I loved Morbid Angel's Gateways to Annihilation and Cannibal Corpse's Evisceration Plague. By 2012 I was jamming those albums with that guitar with a local drummer and we sounded pretty good. My rig back then was my Randall RM100 MTS with the Ultra module, my Rivera Knucklehead K412T with British Vintage 30's, and just a Boss NS-2. Well, that amp and cabinet cranked sounded unreal. The guy's whole flat was shaking. Anyway long story short that didn't last.

Fast forward to the end of 2012 and I had a friend in my ear telling me to buy an Ibanez RG550. Sold the Stealth and that's what I did. 2007 RG550RFRXX? Great guitar. I put a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. Strangely enough, the 550 didn't go into B-standard tuning or anything ridiculous like. I just wanted the guitar to be in standard tuning so I could learn a bunch of Paul Gilbert. I was sick of messing around with guitars in low tunings, so I put my first set of Elixirs on it and went to town. The Paul Gilbert stuff got a little boring so I took Judas Priest, Journey, Whitesnake, and Ratt to task for the next few years. Toward the end of my stint as owner of that particular guitar, I had it in C-standard for Arch Enemy & The Black Dahlia Murder, and drop-C# for playing a bit of Trivium's In Waves record (great riffs on that one). By then I was using an Ibanez TS-5 tubescreamer which had been modded by that Bodenhamer bloke. In hindsight, that TS-5 was unbelievable. It really stacks up incredibly to what I have now (will talk about that later).

2014 came and I sold the RG550 while I was at the tail-end of my degree in philosophy. I wanted something brand new and I wanted it to be the nicest guitar I'd ever owned.

RG2820 Prestige.

Pros:
    • Petrucci-esque specs
    • The best quilt veneer I've seen on a sub-2k guitar
    Cons:

• Edge Zero needs to be un-invented.
    • Edge Zero rout means Edge LoPro isn't a shoe-in.

[​IMG]

The crazy part is, guitars were a LOT cheaper in December 2014. This cost me less than 1600 NZD. If I wanted something similar now from Ikebe-Gakki, they'd want 2800.

So I made some pretty good strides while playing this guitar. Played a LOT of Dream Theater solos at x0.75 speed 50 times in a row lol.

Then I discovered Toto.

Man. I am SO thankful I discovered Toto.

Some dude on my Facebook shared their performance of Africa from the Falling In Between Live DVD and oh man.... "THESE GUYS ARE GODS". Simon Philipps' percussion and Lee Sklar's (admittedly not a member of the band) bass playing are just incredible. If you guys haven't seen that DVD, watch it now. It was taken off YouTube but I think it's back up now either wholly or in split form.

So anyway I bought an ESP Horizon FR BK. And I had to sell EVERYTHING except the RM100 in the process. I miss that Rivera Cabinet - God it was good. Didn't know just what I had until it was gone (I Mean, I did...but not you know...hindsight etc.). The guy who bought it said he only bought it to rip the British-made Celestions out. IDIOT - get off my planet. Anyway I replaced the hardware on it (Gotoh locking tuners & a black OFR, knobs, etc) and it received a fret level etc.

Anyway long story short I bought a Fender Mustang III 100w 1x12" combo amp for 300 bucks to play my Horizon that I spent 2k on through. It's funny when you put it that way, but those Mustang III's are insane amps for the price. I dialled in the cheesiest, wettest, delay, reverb and chorus laden tone and spent three years playing 80's Toto, the Top Gun Theme song, 80's Stevie Nicks, Ratt, Winger...you name it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Maybe you thought I was going to buy an EBMM Luke I, but not yet... :idea:

This guitar is amazing. If the pic doesn't work then it's probably because it's IMGUR (please fix this, Alex). I'll post all the pics in this thread later if they don't work. :shrug:

Anyway, I liked this guitar so much that I have a Snow White one on its way to me this week.

Since this thread is getting long I'll cut to the chase:

I re-commissioned the RM100 after it sat in the spare room for 3 years. I retubed it in 2014 and to this day it still works.

When I got my new job one of the first things I bought was an EVH 2x12 in ivory

[​IMG]

I played that setup dry for quite awhile until I started building my pedalboard around Christmas 2019

[​IMG]

Very messy and cobbled together but so far it works.

New additions are Keeley Compressor Plus 4 knob and a TC Electronic Sentry (I'd only use it for metal).

Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Wow man welcome back! Fucking Toto... Great musicians! Can't wait for the pics to work!

I can see the Prestige - that is damn nice!

CrushingAnvil likes this.
  3. CrushingAnvil

I forgot to mention I sold it to fund the Horizon. I know the guy who owns it so there's always a chance that I'll get it back, but it's not as good as my Horizons so maybe not.

mlp187 likes this.
  4. CrushingAnvil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gunch, mlp187 and Frostod like this.
  5. Amenthea

Amenthea SS.org Regular

I feel old. I got my first guitar (a £150 Hohner LP copy) for Xmas 92. I've still got it, and only last year it had all of the electronics and hardware replaced and new pups put in. I've spent 20+ years looking for an LP shaped guitar that feels better to play. I did try a £1200 Eclipse and it looked bautiful, but it felt exactly the same as my Hohner lol, so apart from being better made and a slight tonal difference the trade up would be almost zero. Seemed silly to drop 1k on something I already had.

Anyway I digress, with the exception of a Marshall Orange Crush 100W Valvestate combo that went around 2006 I've never sold any of my kit. Most of it is now in storage or lent out (I've got an original 1960B cab somewhere, it used to make the CRT TV in my bedroom go purple from across the room) but I've just moved to a bigger house and it's all starting to come home..

6. CrushingAnvil

That's cool! So much stuff I wish I never sold. My matte black Jackson DKMG my dad bought me in 2006 - what a guitar. A friend of mine bought it from a Cash Converters (New Zaeland's pawn shop chain) and brought it around to mine 3-4 years ago and it's now in the possession of my other friend's co-guitar player in his band. Should hit him up to play it.

My Washburn WG-580. Got it set up for C-standard by this absolute legend guitar tech at my local shop, and playing Arch Enemy's 'Enter the Machine' and 'Nemesis' for my high school music practical exam for which I got top marks. Not as good of a guitar as the Jackson but it did what I wanted it to and that's always ideal.

I don't miss my ESP LTD M-307, although I do feel bad for guilting my dad into buying it for me.

Fun times!

Amenthea likes this.
  7. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

EZ with ZPS is the single most stable trem ever created, with ZPS removed it still stays in tune as well as edge variants, the finish is also more durable than other edge variants. The screw in socket is also an improvement for adjusting arm tightness, and adjusting tension without a screwdriver is sweet.

There's a reason Ibanez put it on all of the highest end guitars for a period, people may not prefer them for whatever reason but they are extremely good trems

8. Amenthea

Amenthea SS.org Regular

It's all a learning experience, and sometimes something just isn't right to be with you at the time and it moves on. I've got a Dean 5 string bass that was like the village bike and everyone I knew had owned it at some point before I ended up with it (and I don't even play bass!). It's currently with a friend who has had it almost 4 years now, used for recording, and my daughter has a bass so I can use hers for my stuff so no rush to get it back.

Funnily enough, I've got an old Washburn that I love too, but it's seen better days and is in storage: MG42 in dark purple sparkle with a maple board and a neck as thick as a tree trunk. It's very heavy but sounds so good. Got a Jackson DK2M that looks great but the neck is out of sorts, I got it cheap but again it was stored until now and I've finally got around to looking into fixing it up.

9. CrushingAnvil

Agreed on all fronts.

Except it still feels nowhere near as good as an OFR or a Gotoh GE1996T.

10. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I agree about the Edge Zero. It's performant, but feels terrible. Not a fan at all of the one on my j.custom. It feels overengineered and it's a pain in the ass to block as well. The black chrome looks good until it wears off.

11. Randy

Randy The Pusterience™ Super Moderator

Welcome back! Ha, funny coincidence on the Toto thing. I've been hosting a radio show the last few months and just randomly pulled out Steve Lukather and Los Lobotomys, my first time hearing it and it was a friggin' trip. Toto mega underappreciated just because they had some songs that charted well.

12. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Well, I actually got to see Toto live on that tour, and...I concur, absolutely, they're one of the best bands out there.

Nice guitars and rig!

13. CrushingAnvil

Dude...Luke is so underrated. Songs like "Dave's Gone Skiing" and "Jake To The Bone" are my current milestones because they're so tasty and the chops are pure class and nuance. GOD I have a looooong way to go.

I'm also really all about Neal Schon too. Anyone who's seen their performance of Lights and Stay Awhile in Houston in 1981 knows why. The guy is just the king of feel. Unreal musician. Some days he's fighting Lukather for the no. 1 influence spot.

14. CrushingAnvil

Thanks! The rig sounds great with the Waza delay in the series loop, although it needs its preamp tubes replaced as one is microphonic and is creating anomalous pitch-shifting in the repeats - very annoying.