Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Wasn't referring to the Opeth part, was referring to the hair metal part. But, okay then. :)

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

The 80s notion was that Hair Metal was for chicks and dudes who are gay and/or dress like chicks. I'm not trying to gate-keep, insinuate that a genre is for any particular sex, or any other inane aspersions.

And here is James calling hair metal fans "fakes and poseurs."

3. PunkBillCarson

Yeah see, I'm not a big fan of appealing to false authority. 1.) It makes it seem as though you can't come up with a statement of your own and 2.) Musicians are people at the end of the day and they have opinions like anyone else. Doesn't mean it's more valid than anyone else's just because they happen to play music for a living. NICE TRY THOUGH.

StevenC and XPT707FX like this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Cool dude. You're so punk rock, man.

efiltsohg likes this.
  5. PunkBillCarson

That's not being punk rock, I'm just using my brain and actually thinking things out myself. I suggest you do the same.

6. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Slightly unrelated, I've always loved the way some people spell "poseur".

I can't read that any way but in the most stereotypical fakey French accent, so any venom the phrase may have had is immediately lost on me.

7. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

I listen to Opeth, most of my friends that listen to Opeth are guys but I see more chicks at Opeth shows than I do at most other metal shows. There's nothing wrong with making observations. Also, gate keeping is lame.

Ordacleaphobia and XPT707FX like this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Nah, I stand by what I said. If anything, you listening to other commonly-called-"for-chicks" music just backs up my point that most of the time "music for chicks" is just used as an expression for when something falls out of your taste, that you choose to express as being because of an arbitrary measure equating it to not being macho enough. I have little doubt that Opeth's fanbase is still majority male, but again, that doesn't mean that the music is "for men" either. It's music. You can listen to whatever you want.

Every time I see music criticized on the basis of not being brutal enough, or being too "gay" because there's clean vocals, or being "for chicks" because they use ethnic elements or non-traditional-for-metal instrumentation, my eyes roll far enough that I can see through time. :lol:

PunkBillCarson and XPT707FX like this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

Yawn. Drop it.

And I was just making an observation, but apparently Ted and totally punk rock Bill got sandy over it.

10. PunkBillCarson

^ :lol: Now that you cannot come up with a proper retort without resorting to the opinions of rock stars because you can't come up with one yourself, you want Ted to drop the issue and then have the audacity to call US sandy over the issue. Thank you for the laughs before work.

Acme and vilk like this.
  11. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

I agree with the first part, that's why I said it. The rest of that isn't helping your case.

It's an unpopular opinion thread, the assumption is you come in here expecting people to disagree with you, have thick skin or don't post. This isn't directed at anyone in particular but something everyone needs to be reminded of.

XPT707FX likes this.
  12. PunkBillCarson

The other issue here is that now that someone actually tried to discuss it with him, he just wants to drop the discussion altogether.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In fairness, the original premise of the thread was that you drop your unpopular opinion bombs, then not discuss them. :lol:
    We clearly didn't follow that "rule", and I think the thread is better for it, but whatever. It is what it is.

XPT707FX likes this.
  14. PunkBillCarson

Yeah but thing is, that rule's been broken so many times that at this point, it's hardly relevant.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

some of those hair metal bands wrote way better riffs than the big 4 of thrash *cough* whitesnake, dokken, ratt *cough*

Spaced Out Ace and Randy like this.
  16. PunkBillCarson

What would Skid Row be considered? Because if they are, I'd include them as well.

Unpopular opinion: Slayer is fucking trash.

17. MFB

MFB ExBendable

This is unpopular? I feel like anyone who wasn't a teen by 1986/7 would've realized that Slayer brings nothing good to the thrash table.

XPT707FX likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

Skid row are usually lumped into the hair metal scene, though they took a meaner turn in the 90s that I enjoyed.
    Most of Slayer is overly repetitive and trash but I have a soft spot for the Seasons and South of Heaven albums.

efiltsohg likes this.
  19. PunkBillCarson

They've got a few good songs, but I can't think of a single album where I would listen from the opening track to the ending track without skipping. God Hates Us All probably had the two songs I liked most by them, which were Disciple and Bloodline.

20. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Probable actual unpopular opinion, (simply because its ‘wrong’) but I used to think Megadeth was hair metal, simply because Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman had big hair metal hair!