Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

It depends what side of the food your on. If you're unhealthy, or getting heatlhy it is true. If you're already healthy then it's the opposite. The healthier I become in my eating habits the more I like vegetables and clean "real" food, and don't like other stuff. My body is becoming healthy by rejecting processed chemical foods for the poison that it is. I haven't ate any fried foods or pizza or fast food for about a year and a half now. In the half dozen times I did eat pizza or fries or a candy bars or ice cream, or pretty much any fast food, I physically got sick and my body started rejecting it. It tastes way to sweet and powerful and afterwards my body can't process it. I start to sweat and get sick. I even start to itch and think I got some allergies I never knew about too. But it does taste good. I think being to healthy can be bad because then you can't eat normal crap if you have to without getting sick. Almost like challenging your immune system in a way.

Obsidian Soul and possumkiller like this.
  2. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

I was the same way after long deployments. I came back home and everything tasted like pure salt or sugar or trash and gave me liquid ass piss diarrhea.

I miss being healthy

c7spheres likes this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

This pretty much sums it up. You took the words right out of my mind : )

4. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

New band name

c7spheres likes this.
  5. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I'd say it's more of a rule of thumb, but yeah- totally right.
    I had a girlfriend in high school who's dad managed to make plain ass tofu taste like a delicacy. Learned a lot about cooking from that guy.

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Speaking of tofu:

If you buy good tofu, you don't need to do much to it. Maybe some green onions and a spot of soy sauce, maybe some fish flakes, but if it's a gourmet tofu it should really be eaten plain.

I work with some girls who are always going on about their health food diets and all their various methods of trying to use tofu as a meat substitute, talking about how they want to get a "tofu press" to make their tofu extra hard.

...but that's not what tofu is for! Tofu is not a "meat substitute", and the vast majority of the people eating it are not vegetarian.

I don't want to feel tofu when I "bite" it; it's supposed to melt in your mouth. The tofu sold at the [normal, non-Asian] grocery store is absolute CRAP. If you had that tofu and you don't like it, it doesn't mean that you don't like tofu. I don't like that tofu, and I love tofu. That's like someone eating a McChicken and judging the whole of chicken dishes based on that.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  7. The906

For some reason, I now need to get sushi this week.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

i kinda get the tofu thing. I don't actively dislike tofu, but most of the times that I encounter it, it's trying to pretend to be something it isn't. IMO if it's not meat, I'd much rather it just be what it is instead of trying to imitate something. The imitation thing sets you up for disappointment when it inevitably doesn't hit the mark. Instead just lean into what it already is.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

If it's on the menu, try some "inari" sushi. That's fried tofu skins with sesame seed oil. You'll be walkin out of there saying "damn I love tofu"

The906 likes this.
  10. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I've never understood the whole "make vegan food taste like meat" thing. I don't eat meat for a reason, so why would I want all my food to taste like it?

Give me a good chickpea burger or something, don't try to sell me on the flavour ofthe thing I don't eat.

Part of being vegan that I've always hated.

AirForbes1 likes this.
  11. The906

Great, I eat way too much of that stuff at a sitting as it is. Thanks.

12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

The reason I don't eat meat because I don't want to eat animals...doesn't really have anything to do with the taste. Then again it's been so long I don't really know whether something tastes like meat or not, but I'm not a picky eater as long as there's no meat.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I suspect a large part of the "make it taste like meat" thing is less to appeal to those who already chose not to eat meat, and more to appeal to that sense of trying to convince other people to make the same choice. If you can come up with something that has the same taste, maybe the same look, but without the attached moral implications and with potential health benefits, then it's a much easier sell to someone who isn't going to make that decision on the moral implications alone.

14. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I could get it if you had some type of medical condition or something where you couldn't eat meat anymore. Or as kind of like a break in type thing, like how vaping is supposed to help people stop smoking cigarettes, or like a near-beer thing. To kind of break you into a new diet with something that kind of the same but different.

I've been trying to eat better but I've been having a different problem. I've never really ate vegetables, and people would tell me how to cook them where they don't taste like vegetables, or taste like a different vegetable, like mashed cauliflower that tastes like mashed potatoes.

The main reason I don't like them is my mom is a horrible cook (as much as I love her, she can make mac and cheese taste off), and I don't like vegetables that are steamed until they are soft and mushy and have no flavor left. I never get the memes about how bland white people like their food until we have dinner at my mom's house.

I don't want them to not taste like vegetables, I just want them to taste good.

And I wish there was a place I could hunt mavericks (wild cows), because as much as I disagree with vegan/vegetarianism, I agree with how horrible slaughterhouses are. When you hunt your own animals, not only are they not pumped full of shit just to give them more meat, I know the conditions the meat is processed in and don't have to worry about any kind of any pink slime or meat glue stuff going on, plus I can monitor the animals that are on my property and harvest what I need to where not only will it fill my fill my freezer, but to keep them at the right population of males and females so there will always be a healthy deer population.

And while you can make deer steaks...they're no ribeyes.

c7spheres likes this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Soundâ„¢

cheese curds/fries on top of a burger or philly cheesesteak is basically the perfect drunk food

16. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

[​IMG]

;>)/

Hollowway likes this.
  17. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

Fair enough points. I don't really eat for pleasure often, just sustenance, so maybe that's why I'm not as "can't live without X flavour" or "wish things would taste like X" as most people, so I can definitely see how opposite that is to many.

Only time I eat real junk, is when training/competing. I do ultra marathons and you can't run 70+ miles on oatmeal and chia seeds, so I have to eat junk while doing training runs, and a lot of it messes up my stomach, so I guess all around I am a bad person to speak on behalf of flavour importance, hah.

The906 likes this.
  18. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

God man, you're gonna kill yourself running like that. I can hardly run 70+ft. Hell I can hardly run : ) , but then again I got bad joints. I don't think the human body is meant for such long distances of running like that. Please be careful.

SenorDingDong likes this.
  19. The906

Damn dude. Ultra marathons are an impressive feat. No heel-toe I assume?

20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Holy hell, I can't imagine 70 miles! I feel like a stud when I get my fat ass to do 5 miles.