Unpopular opinions on gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Meh, I like tons of new and different designs, the PIA just seems like a more ornate JEM with a less useful cutout and visually distracting pickup covers

_MonSTeR_, XPT707FX and Seabeast2000 like this.
  2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- TLDR; BIG RIG'S = BIG SMILES :agreed: :bsflag::) ,... well.. they do and they don't. It's all situational.

Pushing air is both literal and figurative.
    -
    - Needing a bunch of speakers and loud amps goes back to the days when bands actually needed their own gear to put on a show and couldn't rely on a club or venues PA system to get them by. Most venues nowadays have adequate PA's to do the job, but some bars and clubs still exist where you'd probably want to bring your larger setup. Additionally most club's PA's and sound guys suck unless they really care. The best results are by renting a "real" PA and having a sound guy you trust operate it.
    - The paradox is that if you need to bring all that big rig stuff to a venue that doesn't have the nice PA then, unless its a "special" gig, it's probably not worth your time to play it and also high risk to your gear getting damaged or stolen anyways.
    - Another thing is that if you bring all that stuff to a gig that has a "proper" PA system then the first thing they'll do is tell you to turn it down because you can't have the stage volume that loud, which in turn screws up your entire tones' sound and feel! The stage monitors can only go so loud before feedback too. In ear monitors and a wedge for that feeling gratification is probably the way to go if you want the best of sound and feel in live on-stage situations.

- All those cab's and amps use to be needed to move air because surface area is more important after a certain point than wattage because you just need coverage for the audience and to fill gaps and stuff, but this hasn't been needed for any large acts for a long time. Lot's of those wall's of 4x12's are empty cab's, but not always.

- I think the reality check a lot of people have is that playing a gig is for the audience and usually to the detriment of the bands personal gratification and ideal conditions for playing and how they prefer it to sound, whereas in the jam spot you can have exactly what you want. Even studios sound crappy compared to the sacred jam spot. Nothing beats the jam spot! : ) Seriously though, studios and live gigs are a differrnt application.

- A couple situations where you may actually need (want/prefer) a full stack or larger is in a rock or metal band situation where high volume and hard hitting drumming is happening, and maximum volume and feel is wanted using distorted guitars while chuggin.
    - Basically this means in the bands personal jam spot or in the studio. This is where you can actually benefit with real gear in all it's glory. This is the best place to play a guitar and indulge, imo.
    - In any other genre you could get away with a combo amp and you'll be fine. Even in rock and metal you'll be fine with a combo amp, but in the case of the latter you'd want a drum shield, and a good PA or monitors. Even in-ear monitors and electric drums can go a long way, but that kind of negates the point of loud and raw unless that's the style.
    - With modern setups (both live and in the studio) and with modern venues and old world venues existing, a flexible rig is important if one is playing out live.
    - The best way to have the best of all worlds is through the use of traditional amps with dummy loads or via modellers. Having a "one size fits all" rig is a challenge. I don't play out so I have a large rack system and four 2x12's, but if I were to play live I would buy a smaller rack case and bring only the components the gig required and also only bring probably one or two 2x12's at the very most. If I were playing a dive bar with no PA I'd borrow or rent a rig and insure it. Maybe one day I'll finally break down and buy a modeller.
    -

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I barely even use an amp anymore. Full sized amps are for dinosaurs.

WarMachine and DrakkarTyrannis like this.
  4. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

And dinosaurs are still awesome to this day..

That being said....bitch I play through VSTs :lol: I ain't even got no dayum amp right now.

WarMachine likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Nah, they're all dead and the boomers are dying, taking rock along with it.

Beheroth, WarMachine and sirbuh like this.
  6. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Oh you kids and your mediocrity

WarMachine, BenjaminW and op1e like this.
  7. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

And electronic musicians such as myself will be there to harvest the organs.

...Damn, I should've saved those Borg jokes...

8. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

Honestly, I thought the blue floral JEM was the only design Steve Vai had that was anything great. I have no idea who would even buy a PIA. It doesn't even look like something to be played imo.

Matt08642 likes this.
  9. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Pretty much.

We are the keepers of the beeps and boops. Assimilate or die

10. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Whenever stage handlers or band friends help me set up, it always cracks me up when they bend down and try to lift my JP2C and be surprised that it weighs just as heavy as a full 100w head. Nah man, that is no lunchbox head. lol

100 watt amps with small headshells are the best. Prevents you from hitting the amp on that small wall corner or tight alleyways going in the back entrance. Easier to hide from would be thieves too.

11. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

I think there’s a very steep level of diminishing returns when it comes to pickups outside of what type you’re going with (strat/tele singles, humbuckers, p90s)

Like changes from one “good” pickup to another aren’t going to be earth shattering compared to like upgrading poopy oem pickups

XPT707FX and USMarine75 like this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

Probably because they are the first thing in the signal chain. Speakers make a bigger difference. That said, changing pickups to fit the guitar, and even choosing the right pick, still matters in the grand scheme of things.

13. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

That's what I was getting at, speakers/IRs are a bigger chunk of the signal chain than most tone whores realize

Beheroth, akinari and USMarine75 like this.
  14. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 2.33.43 PM.png

15. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Things I learned in my early 20's...

"I haven't been digging the sound of the D-Activator in my bridge that much lately, so I'm gonna throw caution to the wind and try something completely different!" (buys an Evolution) "Now THIS one will be the game changer!"

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  16. loganflynn294

loganflynn294 I don't feel good Contributor

Meant to post this like 20+ pages ago, but, life got in the way. So, I'm sure most of this was already mentioned, but here goes:

Headless guitars and fanned fretted guitars are hideous. I get why they exist, understand the logic, just can't stand how they look.

Lunchbox amps with small tubes (EL84, etc) are stupid. If I only play at home and didn't "want" a 100w head, I would rather buy a modeler or some computer plugin stuff. To spend all that $ on a tiny amp that's still going to be loud af but not have enough balls to keep up with a band playing the stuff I play is not something I would be ok with.

Pickup rings look stupid on most guitars. I think they look ok on Gibson's, PRS', stuff like that, but not on superstrat style guitars. Always wanted a Jackson SL2H, only thing holding me back is cheap looking pickup rings. Just mount them to the body!

100W tube heads that have a good master volume are 10000x better than little lunchbox amps. I've had a bunch of Bogner's and Mesa's that sound awesome at late night TV volumes (through a 4x12!) and then totally slay during band practice. The people that say lunchbox amps are loud enough to keep up with a band might not be going for the same sound I am though. Brutal chugs is where it's at, and a couple of little EL84 "night-lights" are not going to give me the low end headroom I want.

Djent is stupid. I hate that nasally guitar tone and I wish it would die.

A lot of people pay way too much attention to specs when buying a guitar. I see a ton of posts about people asking for new guitar recommendations and then they list a million different super specific specs that they must have like "16.34568" fretboard radius, anything else and I won't consider it". Like, go play some fucking guitars and buy one you like. Stop worrying about buying something with the same specs as your "hero", cause you might not even like it.

Relic'd guitars are awesome. I don't play guitar for a living or tour around the world so my stuff will take forever to get that "broken in" feel and look. So, I'm into building partscasters out of relic'd parts. I think they look cool as hell and they feel amazing. Could I ever afford a 1962 Strat? Not a chance. So why not build one and make it look and feel like a guitar that's been played everyday for 60 years.

17. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

No argument here dude. I've never had any problems lugging around my 4x12 and 5150. Hell i did that for years on end. Once i was able to get the tones of that full sized rig in a preamp, it was like lightning in a bottle. I guess the best part for me is, when you take out small rigs like say a POD Go, FM8, Helix, any ground based etc rig out its great when people are looking for a huge rig. Then you point down at the floor and they give you this face :spock:
    Makes it all worth it :rofl:

18. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

You sir, are the prophet of the coming age.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Even though Jackson has the cooler headstock, I always preferred the ESP Mirage.

For some reason, Soloists always looked cramped. Something about the pickups and the body looking weird.

[​IMG]
    Vs the ESP

[​IMG]

It just seems to flow better.

narad likes this.
  20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Is it possible that the djent/nasally tone of today is just a response to yesterdays "I want to sound like Metallica" scooped sound?

Beheroth and XPT707FX like this.