Unpopular opinions on gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jun 22, 2020.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

THAT'S NOT THE POINT! ESP SHOULD LOVE US MORE

c7spheres and technomancer like this.
  2. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

USA stans ESP

/s of course

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Give me an Akira sig, you fucking bastards!

4. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Or Sugizo... And pick the model he's actually fucking known for playing this time!

5. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Ugh...I need for my band to take off so I can get an ESP endorsement and get a PROPER signature. No one else is being creative so it's up to me to make some wild looking guitar that SSO will bitch and moan about because it's not a basic ass super strat

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

My basic ass super strat (sans floyd) with the 70s fisher price toy nightmares says, "Fuck you!" :rofl: :lol:

c7spheres and DrakkarTyrannis like this.
  7. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Truth be told I don’t like it either :lol:

The pickup covers especially are toooo much.

Matt08642 likes this.
  8. USMarine75

Don’t forget...

upload_2020-8-5_12-31-27.jpeg

upload_2020-8-5_12-32-6.jpeg

(Had to use stock photos I’m on my work phone.)

9. Rex

Rex SS.org Regular

Great looking guitars, i feel the same vibe with Dino Cazares custom models, the guy has good taste for sure!!

c7spheres and USMarine75 like this.
  10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

oh dont get me wrong, you play whatever you want to play. My point is that such big cabs/amps are not a necessity. Every tread and recomendation I read in this forum and in other places makes it look like you either have a 4x12 guitar and a 8x10 bass monster or you wont be able to "keep up" or be able to be heard at all

^^ these guys get it

when I was fully active playing in bars and practicing twice a week, I did it with a 1x12 bass combo (currently with a 1x15 but not active enough). A "big" square shape thing which was the most un-comfortable heavy thing to carry. Too heavy to need some kind of trolley, but too small too need some kind of trolley (and the annoyance to settup/carry a trolley and all that)..... That "little" guy keep up with all the band practices, small and medium size gigs I did. Would a bigger amp would have been better? fuck yeh!... would have been "necessary"?... nope.... would my back thank me for it?.... kinda, as it did fuck me up carry the little bastard around (no place has a 2 step walk from the car into room/stage), but I would be x100 times more fucked with something bigger

if your band reach a point in which you got fulltime roadies, then yeah, get a wall of cabs, who cares. But for the 90% of people who gig out there, they dont "need" such big amps to play live/practice.... my un-popular opinion

c7spheres and XPT707FX like this.
  11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Wow more people want the ESP sig 'abominations' now... :lol:

Aren't the Sugizo Horizons available worldwide? At least they were in the international ESP sites at some point. Sure they're not his flagship models but he certainly plays them (X Japan are more recognizable worldwide than Luna Sea).

The only way to get the Japanese sigs popular to the masses is to get all these Japanese artists popular enough to gain worldwide commercial exposure by buying their music/merch/signature gear etc. Granted it's better now, but like that's going to happen. Language is still a big hurdle, and J-Rock is still a niche market. Also factor that if they still stay with ESP, since Japan are still enamoured with American instruments. ESP lost 2 guys from Luna Sea (J and Inoran) to Fender (which is a big deal), and Sugizo is giving them some lusty looks too.

You can also do what Drakkar said and BE the artist that gets big enough to have ESP knocking at your door. So git gud.

Or you can just order from the Japanese sites and fork out the cash. There's been enough NGD threads here with those sigs that it can't be hard.

budda likes this.
  12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't buy the machismo BS that "50lbs isn't heavy". Yeah it is. Not everyone has the same level of strength, or is carrying things as often. Some people DO in fact have things wrong with them that make it more difficult to carry gear. Fvck those guys right? No guitar for you unless you're a fully able macho manly man who carries two Roadsters 10km uphill every day to jams.

Having a tiny 15lbs head was a life saver when I had to play shows on a broken foot. A foot that I broke trying to carry heavier gear, by the way.

vilk, A-Branger, XPT707FX and 2 others like this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

North America isn't covered by the ESP International lines, we're "lucky" enough to get our own highly curated offerings. :lol:

USMarine75 likes this.
  14. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If your entire band isn't moving all the gear from vehicle to stage and you don't have roadies, you need to have a conversation :lol:. Regardless of how much gear there is.

"Share the load" - LOTR.

Lightweight makes way more sense when it's just you carrying your own stuff for sure.

Cyn__Theia, XPT707FX, oracles and 4 others like this.
  15. USMarine75

It's the same people that shit on "dad rock" for not being brutal enough. As if music is "brutal". Dickheads in mosh pits are brutal. But music? No. Unless we're talking about Pitbull... because that shit is fucking brutal.

For reference I've been powerlifting for 30 years and I'm usually one of the strongest people in any gym. And even I hate transporting amps like my 5150 combo, Soldano heads, or 412 cabs.

So anyone suggesting you're not "manly enough" if you have an issue with 70 lbs amps is trying to dick measure and they're bringing a pencil to a sword fight.

/rant :lol:

16. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Everyone I play with is pretty good about it, but if I can get my Helix bag, my wedge, and my guitar in one trip, that means I can make two extra trips with drums and either way we're moving faster and being more efficient. There are only a few reasons to haul a huge rig around. You actually need the volume (which is very few bands, even if the guitarist has some sort of disorder where he can't play properly without being stupidly loud, but then you have a guitarist problem, not a gear problem), someone is expecting you to have the gear on stage, your rig is a curated collection and you want to show it off (to the other guitar players, because they're the only ones who even kind of give a shit), you think "feel" makes you play better (who knows, maybe it does, every guitarist I've ever met in person that talks about this plays the same five licks in every song), or modern rigs are scary.

Emperoff likes this.
  17. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Y'know, something that has never made any sense to me is; people say they can't feel air pushing behind them when using a monitor + preamp to FOH like they did with the cab behind them. But i've not seen anyone live yet (at least where i am or remotely close) that uses the monitor + preamp to FOH put the monitor behind them...doesn't that solve the problem of pushing air? Just put the damn monitor behind you vs in front of you? Never had that as an issue, and that's with a loud drummer..

18. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Matrix GT1600 + Fractal AX8/Helix + Lightweight DV Mark Cabs with high power neodymium speakers = Lightweight high volume gig rig.

Those DV Mark vertical 2x12s , you can even lift with one hand and they push out 300 watts.

19. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

That's exactly how I do it. Small stage with no PA support, one 12" wedge on a pole behind me covers as much of the room as my 4x12 used to (and you don't have to be standing in the exact right spot for it to sound good) and if it someplace where I really need stage volume for some reason, a second monitor on the floor in wedge position between the legs of the stand for the first. Even with two wedges and a pole, its still a quicker setup than my old amp/cab/pedalboard rig.

WarMachine likes this.
  20. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

SMH at the folks who struggle to carry amp heads.

Life must be really hard.