Unpopular opinions on gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jun 22, 2020.

1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

different guitar brand strings dont sound different. They just sound "new" compared to the tone you got used with the string you have in your guitar before changing them.

they miiiight feel different (in some cases), and they would last longer/shorter. But they all sound the same

also the "but X famous artist uses this brand of string"... yup, and he also change strings on every gig on a tour......... this to the slinkys, dont get and never got the hype for them. Every time I tried them I can see them getting rusted in front of me

XPT707FX likes this.
  2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I have found plenty of differences between strings, especially on acoustics where there is a wider range of string compositions. But between electric guitar brands of the same gauge it's usually pretty subtle stuff that nobody but the player will care about.

I just stick to D'Addarios because I have found them durable, like the packaging and colored ball ends. I used to buy Snake Oil brand strings and felt they sounded a bit better but they were too expensive and became increasingly harder to find. I have sworn off DR strings because I kept getting ones that did not intonate no matter what.

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Nonsense. The standard EBs sound quite a bit different than GHS Boomers, and both sound different than Elixirs, and they all sound different from Kalium. Maybe the difference is less if you're buying standard gauges, but there is definitely a difference.

potatohead33 and WarMachine like this.
  4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I can't believe I used to use EB Slinkys way back. I swear they were dead every 2-3 weeks, and I don't even sweat much. The only other strings I had die so quickly were the Rotosounds that BKP includes with their pickups.

JesperX, A-Branger, Rex and 2 others like this.
  5. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

I know, right? I guess the original point is that Bogners are muddy and don't cut in a band mix, but I think Jerry Cantrell, Neal Schon and Steve Lukather would like a word.

USMarine75 likes this.
  6. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Exactly. It’s one of the most popular studio session guitarist amp brands of all time. Tom Bukovac uses the Goldfinger 45. The Shiva is legendary for the amount of touring and session musicians that use it.

And it’s not just the list of who uses one right now, because their brand is well established by now. But historically, back when there weren’t unlimited amp brands to choose from, Soldano and Bogner were THE amps to have other than your standard Fender, Marshall, or Vox. Bogner and Soldano were the 80s/90s “it” brands. I feel like every country act I’ve seen live plays either Fender or Bogner amps.

I was waiting for a reply before I dropped names lol. Lukather especially, as he’s one of the most prolific session guitarists of all time (even if he’s not a Toto fan).

This thread needs to be renamed “Alternate Guitar Facts” with the amount of made-up “opinions”. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    sirbuh, StevenC, technomancer and 2 others like this.
  7. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I loved them... for about 2 days. After 5 they were a dead rusty mess and needed changed. No thanks.

JesperX, WarMachine, Rex and 2 others like this.
  8. SexHaver420

SexHaver420 SS.org Regular

Music Man guitars and basses are overrated and it's not even because they're bad instruments. They just cost way too much for what you get. Same with PRS (99% of the PRS finishes are atrocious and way too flashy and only grandpas like them). I've never played one that didn't play or sound good but they're just not worth the money compared to other companies.

Music Man and PRS make way better amps than guitars too. The HD series of Music Man amps and the PRS Archon are killer.

I can get an ESP for cheaper than a Music Man or PRS and they're built just as well if not better and have better fretwork.

Edit: The Stingray is trash because it's not comfy to play because of the pickup location and I like to rest my thumb on the pickup. The Bongo would be amazing if it didn't look like an abortion.

vilk, cGoEcYk, Beheroth and 1 other person like this.
  9. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Please point me at a new ESP (not EII or Ltd) that is less than a PRS or EBMM. I've been looking at ESP Horizon Is and they're $4k+ :lol:

10. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

dar-build quality great, getting any service or person able to fix even a simple problem or one that would be simple on any other amp, imfuckingpossible

hot take of the day for me

never liked the blackmachine look, always felt the hockey stick headstock likes WAAAY too big for the body, not the thinness of the body but any body,

especially a fanned fret one, it just looks too big, when it's a 6 string i think it's not as noticeable even a seven works, when you move to an 8 omg NOOOOO

11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Give me a Gibson, ESP, Kramer, etc. hockey/banana headstock over the Blackmachine anyday.

DudeManBrother and sirbuh like this.
  12. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

It's an unpopular opinion :erk:

13. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

3 out of all the Bogner owners

14. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Unpopular opinion: i think the modern darkglass bass tone used in so many modern metal bands now sounds like shit, its WAY TOO metallic and is totally grating on the ears and is overused and makes every bassist sound identical (i know, blasphemy! ) its obviously completely subjective.

Emperoff, narad, budda and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rex

Rex SS.org Regular

Same here with EB, for a time I thought that I was mad or something similar, some people telling me that their EB lasted long than d'addarios and other brands etc etc and my reaction was ... What??? Are you kidding me? I had the same experience mentioned above, dead sounding and rusted in few days, I prefer DR, Pyramid and d'addarios, nothing special but the feel, sound and durability are more than reasonable for the price with these brands

c7spheres and Matt08642 like this.
  16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

This is my experience with EB and Dunlop strings. I swear by D'addario and GHS. Also had good luck with LaBella. Still wanna try those new Elixir Optiwebs or whatever they're called.

It sucks because I've heard non-djenty people dialing in Darkglass pedals to sound more "organic". Think that Geddy Lee or Billy Gould midrangey grind. Jon from Karnivool also has that kinda vibe going on. You get a lot of these guys either using J or humbucker-style pickups with the high frequencies cranked to the gills, and it sounds super, metallic, clanky (and sometimes "zingy") harsh. I really can't stand that sound.

EDIT: I still do plan on eventually getting a darkglass too. :lol:

c7spheres and Gmork like this.
  17. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Ughh muh Nolly bass

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm not sure if this one's been contributed, or even if it's not very popular, but:
    I think that most guitarists should be able to pick up and play a bass. I don't expect anyone to be amazing at an instrument they aren't practiced at, but a guitar shares enough with a guitar that the basics should be intuitive.

r33per and c7spheres like this.
  19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

funny enough I ate D'Addarios because how bad they are for bass, so they left a bad taste for me and I dont want to get near them on guitar. Every string eventually dies(vs new string sound and specially on bass), most of the time is so grdually that you dont notice. With D'Addarios, is been the only string I notice them fully 100% flip in a day. I was playing my bass today and all good. Pickup the bass couple of days later and I found myself looking at it like "WTF????" trying to figure it out if I change the settings, moving the EQ, blaming it to my computer or headphones, or something, nope, its the strings. And it wasnt a pack, it happened 3-4 times

I stick to Elixirs, mostly because they dont rust

I play in standard tuning :)

20. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

You played your bass today, and a couple days later found yourself wondering wtf? Can you time travel or something?