Unpopular opinions on gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Well it's a relativity thing. Digging in with lighter strings on a guitar vs heavier strings, same tuning, you can hit lighter to sound like you're digging in.

2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

It doesn't sound the same.

Emperoff and c7spheres like this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

How so.

4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I hate this excuse, it's probably the only thing that actually manages to trigger me music wise. Yes, some of the best musicians had absolutely garbage technique and made incredible music however that does not mean it's a defense for having shit technique.

XPT707FX likes this.
  5. Bogner

Bogner Rock N' Roll Machine

That's because you were busy using your fancy cables so much you wore them out. ;)

6. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Napalm Death kicks BOLTTHROWER’S toothless shit eater all day every day and twice on Sunday!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 2:49 AM
  7. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Both Carcass and Celtic Frost chew these BOLTS before breakfast coffee, spit them out and THROW them to their dogs in a game of fetch!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 2:49 AM
  8. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Pantera is a Southern Rock Dude Rock Glam Rock Frat Rock band of Macho Posers who could only pay to play until they copied Grunge fashion out of Vogue Magazine!

vilk and MASS DEFECT like this.
  9. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

And seeing as this is the unpopular opinions on gear thread... would that be due to Dime’s choice of guitar, amp or hairspray?

Wuuthrad and XPT707FX like this.
  10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Multiscale solves the playability issue just fine. It also helps with clarity on the lower strings while keeping the higher ones sounding a bit sweeter due to not having as tight a scale length as single scale guitars. For 8-string tone you definitely have to make some compromises on the sound. Maybe these guitars should actually have split pickups and stereo outputs - one for the regular 6-strings and another for the two lowest strings. Then you could run them into different amps and dial them best for each range.

I've tried messing with dual amp rigs and crossovers on modelers but it's just not possible to separate the strings well enough.

I do agree about the Darkglass bass tone. It just sounds like clanking strings. It's not even the problem with the Darkglass units either, you can certainly get different sounds out of them.

11. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Multiscale are totally fine and for 8 string are almost a go to if you play also leads.

27" or 28" on the lower register can handle drop E and D# totally fine.
    If you need to go lower, just buy a 9 string.

12. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

90% of people have no clue what they want re:gear because 90% of them don't actually have any idea how to play guitar or bass, and spend no time actually trying to play any music to discover what tone they actually want. They just buy gear to look at and discuss on forums and finger point as to why they don't sound the way they want (I need custom strings, I need custom wound pickups for my aggressive tone, I find that *whatever random thing they can spend more money on* is really going to give me that upper lower middle upper middle middle upper mid boost I've been searching for for 25 years, then I can finally settle down and work on learning how to alternate pick!)

Being broke for a solid decade of playing really helped enforce the playing aspect while I lusted over gear I could never afford. Now that I have the money to get some gear, each piece makes me remember it's all a complete meme and people have done more than I could ever dream with much, much less.

Hand Steve Vai or Dave Grohl or James Hetfield or some famous guitarist/musician with drive and inspiration a Squier, a cable, and a 15 watt tube amp and they'll probably do more with it I could with an AxeFX and Aristides ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I feel like I do the same thing with drum gear.

What's going to make me a better drummer.....? Is it practice? Rudiments?
    Nah, I bet I just need more expensive pedals.

budda and Matt08642 like this.
  14. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I don't even like playing guitar. Even if I had all the gear in the world I wouldn't want to practice. :confused:

Beheroth, c7spheres and Matt08642 like this.
  15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

On the other hand Steve Vai's best album is entirely down to being inspired by a piece of gear.

c7spheres and Matt08642 like this.
  16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Lot's of truth in this. When you have no money, a crappy amp, and guitar it forces you to experiment and get the most out of your gear. It's when you learn how to dial in an amp and tone to suit your playing.
    - It also forces you to play more and experiment more and how you get good and unique.
    - It's why most people quit because that when shit gets real and you figure out if you really love it or not.
    - Ever noticed how a lot of great players or bands always had a pont in life where they were poor or on hard times or struggled greatly in some way?

17. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- Putting a drive pedal in front of a tube amp isn't necessary. A lot of tube amps (even popular ones like some Marshalls) use clippiing diodes, just like drive pedals do. Doing this basically means you like the feel of a solid state input stage.

18. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Where's that new guy who hates everything? I'm sure he has some good ones.

19. Spaced Out Ace

Definitely necessary to get some decent gain going with some amps.

c7spheres likes this.
  20. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

True but I find it funny to have a TS in front of a JCM 800 or something. To each their own. I guess doing that just makes it extra tight.