Unpopular opinions on gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

How to have the hottest takes: Just say everything sucks

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Matt08642 has the stupidest takes. #Facts

3. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I can't refute this.

4. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Trve Metal is made with no strings.

Matt08642 likes this.
  5. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I stay out of the ERG section because I have nothing positive to say.

It really sucks because now everyone does amp reviews with 6659 string guitars because people wanna hear how amps handle them...they ALWAYS sound like shit. I'd much rather hear a demo with a 6 string in a non retarded tuning

6. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Not sure if Drax is trolling or not, but I often find myself laughing at many of his his posts. Thank you! I need the laughs in this depressing lock-down.

DrakkarTyrannis likes this.
  7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In theory, a 7 string should sound like a 6 string... just with some more range. In practice though, I feel like the more strings people add and the lower they tune, the farther the target tone gets from my own taste. So, while the number of strings in itself might not be what ruins a tone, there's arguably a link between number of strings, downtuning, pickup choice, how people dial their amps, etc. So I tend to find the "6 string tones" people come up with to sound better.

If it's me playing, I like to have a 7. If I'm judging other people's tones - I prefer the kinds of tones that people usually get on 6s and in standard-ish tunings.

c7spheres likes this.
  8. Spaced Out Ace

They tend to dial in tones that make the low strings sound good (at best; some sound like clickity clackity "single coil" tones), but the high strings sound like shit.

Dumple Stilzkin, vilk and Emperoff like this.
  9. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Nope. Not trolling. I just don't mention it because I don't want to be "that guy"...but since this is the unpopular opinion thread I figured I'd be honest

10. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

But, but... the mids... the clarity... the boost... the definition... the articulation... the tightness... Drop # tuning... How else can I be metal?

Kind reminder of what E tuning with no boost (and Boss GT-6, no less) can do:

Wuuthrad and XPT707FX like this.
  11. Spaced Out Ace

Mids are great, and you need them for guitars, but all mids and nothing else is not really that enjoyable to listen to.

budda, Adieu, Emperoff and 4 others like this.
  12. Protestheriphery

Protestheriphery SS.org Regular

Point 1: Fancy veneers (and AAAAA flame/quilt top on higher end guitars), bindings, inlays etc, are just redundant eye candy that serve no real purpose in the grand scheme of instrument tone. Maybe Im biased, seeing as how the majority of gear Ive ever owned included all that goofy shit.

Point 2: Too many guitar brands (ie Ibanez, Schecter, ESP-fuck it, throw Gibson and PRS in there too) put out some of the tackiest finishes and visual appointments on otherwise solid instruments. As the years progress, tasteful color choices become more rare. Every time I catch wind of what the latest lineups have in store, I cringe at the aesthetic choices they go with.

I understand these manufacturers have always followed outlandish trends (flourescent colors in the 80's), but at least back then, they still had basic black and red, etc. Now, if Im looking at something with bangin specs, unfortunately its also comes slathered in an assortment of rainbow dog vomit burst finishes. Apparently, companies assume all guitarists have ADHD and buy solely on appearance, and therefore need something with gimmicky looks to hold their attention.

13. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I'm not into 7- and 8-string guitars either. I use this forum because I like the forum, not because I like 7-string guitars. I even seem to tune my 6-strings higher and higher with time.

I really wouldn't mind if guitarists just stopped tuning down below E. Low tunings don't seem to be doing music any favors, in fact it seems the lower the tuning the less chance I will like the music.

Bedecki and TheBolivianSniper like this.
  14. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I barely use the 7th string in any of my bands, yet I feel naked without it. My hands are pretty big so 7-string necks feel home to me, even if I don't take full advantage of them.

Plus, it's a great GAS stopper. 7-string CS Jacksons are rare and expensive, whereas there are thousands of sixers to buy and I'd be in fucking trouble.

I play music, Adieu and budda like this.
  15. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

The nice thing about 7s for me is that now that I have a hardtail and a trem, I don't feel the need for any more for any reason lmao. I also sparingly use the 7th string, I've just gotten really used to the necks/where to rest my hands while playing

6 string RG is still my "main" for most things, but it feels small now

Same with when I picked up a bass, bought a 5 string and now any 4 string feels weird

Emperoff likes this.
  16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm the opposite. I was your typical low B chugger. After realizing I never really used the high string I just decided to move onto regular 6 strings and baritones. If need be, I tune the F# to G to get more of a proper 7 string tuning when it calls for it.

Although I kinda feel you with the latter part @Emperoff. Decent 6 strong baritones are decently rare. :lol:

I play music, Choop, Emperoff and 2 others like this.
  17. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

Baritone guy here, I can confirm. Unless one has $1800+ to spend on a bari, sacrifice or compromise is the name of game while shopping.

18. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

This.

19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I feel like this is a great time for baritones as long as your ok with anything 27 inches and above.

20. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

What? All the amp demo guys I see are using 6 strings. Name me just one 8 string players doing amp demos, I can't think of even one.