Unpopular opinions on gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jun 22, 2020.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Buuut he's right. Fake drums are a cheap way out. Obviously some people have to due to various reasons but a real drummer is always preferred. He's talking about lazy fucks who just want to click and paste everything to try to get the same results as the guys who put in effort to acquire the real skill

Emperoff likes this.
  2. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Buuut he's right. Fake drums are a cheap way out. Obviously some people have to due to various reasons but a real drummer is always preferred. He's talking about lazy fucks who just want to click and paste everything to try to get the same results as the guys who put in effort to acquire the real skill

Emperoff likes this.
  3. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

But that's not the point. I mean sure, if you're programming a primitive 4/4 rock groove and then say it takes skill or that it's "as good as the real thing" - yes that's lazy, no questions there. I really don't think there are a lot of people who argue that programmed drums are as good or superior to a real drummer though. Programmed drums are used when a real drummer isn't available, simple as that. And more to the point - programming the drums. This is literally the same as composing percussion with pen and paper. Takes as much skill or as little skill and talent as the part you're composing. The issue is that this written music will not be performed by a real musician is irrelevant.

4. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Ehhh..he's said quite often that if you need to fake the drums because it's all you've got then do so. He's talking about people..and there are a LOT of people...who just want automated everything so they don't have to do any work.

Studios are full of "Well can't you just copy it from the last one and paste it?" folks who want everything simple and fast and don't care about quality

Emperoff likes this.
  5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

If you can’t do it on an unplugged electric guitar, go back to practicing.

That solar needs EMG’s. And probably that Mayones too. Unless it already had them.

Vyn and Emperoff like this.
  6. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

If you need to cup the mic to get your sound, fuck off and actually get some vocal lessons/training. I'm yet to see one vocalist that cups the mic that actually has a safe screaming technique that won't result in a blown voice later down the track.

7. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

You're right, he probably should have said 5 and that all of them are from the 90s.

And for my probably unpopular opinion:

Linkin Park's Meteora has some of the best guitar tones. Ever.

Damn, had to :lol: at myself considering the ridiculous juxtaposition of opinions above...90s death authority but nu-metal tone lover :rolleyes:

budda and StevenC like this.
  8. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Pretty sure it's just the late 90s/early 2000s Florida frat dude tone right? PRS in to a Dual Rec? Tremon-tone, if you will (aware he's not Floridian)

Another song people might not associate with sick tone, but this has the same combo:

Adieu likes this.
  9. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Whatever Daron was using from S/T to Toxicity ruled too

Emperoff and Mathemagician like this.
  10. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I don't see how this opinion is unpopular on a guitar forum. Maybe with wannabe vocalists.
    Some of my favourite vocalists also play guitar so they don't even have a free hand to cup the mic ;-)

Vyn and Emperoff like this.
  11. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Toxicity's rythm tone is monstruously huge.

Mathemagician likes this.
  12. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I've seen more people defending cupping the mic than not over the years on various platforms which is just mindboggling. The amount of people who have blown their voice out with shity techniques when they could have just stopped, put in a little effort and have a sound that is not only safe, but sounds BETTER is just sad :(

c7spheres and Emperoff like this.
  13. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I think that's bullshit. I have yet to meet a drummer that does not want to play his stuff and is happy with programmed drums instead of him playing.
    Recording drums is just the only thing these days that is difficult at home. So arguing against programmed drums is probably the best way for a studio owner like the guy in the video to convince people to go to a studio.
    Guitars, bass, ... you don't need a studio to record them well. Bedroom also works.

c7spheres likes this.
  14. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Fender really needs to make more hardtail strats.

[​IMG]

vilk, Matt08642, I play music and 4 others like this.
  15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- Although mic cupping isn't the proper way to do things and it's a pain to deal with, plenty of pro vocalists do it and have had success with it, until they learned the proper way I assume, but they still do it live a lot (at least they use to). To name a few: Pantera, Deftones, System of a Down, Linkin Park, Tool. I'm not saying they do it now or in the studio, but they sure as hell do (or at least did) do it live.
    - I'm not saying these singers don't know what they're doing (quite the opposite) but they do use it at their discretion (imo) as a technique because you also notice them working the mic as well.

- It's a reality sound guys have to deal with and it's a technique/tool/crutch or whatever someone wants to call it that exsists and has to be adjusted for or dealt with either way.

- A good way to deal with someone like Phil Anselmo cupping and screaming into a mic is by using a good quality transformer based direct box such as a Radial JDI, and a pad before it hits the mic pre's. The transformer in the Di will have a natural saturation effect while holding the signal together in 1 piece and the pad will stabilize the signal before hitting the mic pre.
    - After that adjust levels to taste on mic pres, throw some eq, compression, gates, feedback destroyers, a little reverb, a slap back delay and some Chick-fil-a sauce in there and your golden.

16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I'd almost bet just like with amp modellers most people couldn't tell the difference between real and programmed drums when done correctly, including Glenn.
    - By the time a real drum track is recorded, gated and processed it sounds like fake drums anyways. It's the performance that gives it away, not the sound, and if that performance is programed really well and the right samples are used then it can be convincing enough to fool the best of them. A lot of drummers are using samples and electric kits nowadays anyways. Elecric kits and samples are instruments too (imo).

- I think the sad reality is most people don't like actual real raw music any longer and they don't even realize it.
    - Raw music is normally 4 or 5 guys in a band jamming into a recorder. No overdubs or post processing tricks at all. Only what is possible to achieve live without help. That's real.
    - If you need the sound guy and backing tracks to acheive what you do live, then they're part of your band. My point is that the band is the sum of it's parts, which includes all the gear and people/crew involved because without it they couldn't do it. That's why a band like Tool is an LLC. Because Tool isn't a band, it's an LLC with a payroll. The 4 dudes are just part of creative and live performance team which also happen to wear other decision making hats in that LLC too. It's why Lars and James make so much more than Kirk etc..

17. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Honestly, I hate live bands with backing tracks, samplers, recorded overdubs/vocals/etc. It's just so fucking fake. If those parts are really important for a live show, get someone to do them, or don't do them at all and show what you really are.

Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Rammstein... Their keyboard players are amazing and not fucking samplers. But hey, let's all complain about how autotune ruined music :nuts:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  18. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

What is fake about a sample? Does anyone in the audience think it is really being recreated?

If your set starts with a line from a movie, do people feel ripped off that the actor didnt fly in and say the line in person?

Backing tracks and overdubs make sense from a "but they dont have those people on stage" but should that really detract from enjoyment if it sonically improves the show?

19. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Honestly, the main thing I like about live version of songs is taking a song that had like 20 tracks on the album and cutting it all down to 2-3 guitar parts. It makes it a lot easier to figure out which parts of the song I need to learn and what I can cut out.

Other than that, present your art however you want to.

20. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Yeah...it's not some mass studio owner conspiracy. Coming from someone who's worked with lots of studio owners and seen the shit for myself. LOTS of bands, especially those with shitty drummers, want to fake the drums. It happens all the time.

Everyone wants to be better than they really are, so they make albums they can't reproduce in reality...which is just lying in audio form.

Now if you don't have a drummer and you're doing what you have to do. Fine. If you're doing your own recording and you fake the drums because you can't record your drummer but it's shit he can actually play, cool.

But this idea of wanting to sound like the best band in the world when in reality the band is horrendous and can't play the shit they click pasted to death on the album? Lame.

Not to mention, real performances and taking time to actually make a good album seems to be less and less of a thing. Everyone just wants instant gratification and to press an app and make it all easy.

People who study studio stuff and have a deep appreciation for the "magic" that goes into great albums are nerds about that kind of stuff. And I'm glad they are. There's a reason that legendary albums have that status and it's not just the band.