Unpopular opinions on gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

This seemed like it could be interesting. How about unpopular opinions on gear? For instance, most people to talk about how "bad" EMG HZ pickups are, but I rather enjoy the ALX, H2, H3, and H4 pickups I have at my disposal. I think they sound pretty damn good. I also really like the analog cab sim in my Tech 21 British and Joyo American Sound pedals even though people tend to prefer IRs and cab sim pedals like the CAB M and Radar (which are good, but I don't feel they are necessary).

So what're some unpopular gear opinions you guys have? I'm interested to see what you guys have to say.

Roadsterjosh, lewis and c7spheres like this.
  2. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I guess it might be an unpopular gear opinion so here goes, so much of what people associate with high end gear is actually a high end set up. As such spending money with a tech or luthier setting up a regular production line guitar can yield exactly the same results in terms of playability as going “full custom”.

I also think that build quality in terms of fit and finish is great, but is given far too much importance in terms of playability and tone.

lawizeg, Wrecklyss, Mike_R and 3 others like this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I like EMG 707's. For years they were the best 7 string pickup you could get then ever since Blackouts came out they've gotten a bad rap. They are still great pickups. Sure there's probably something better out there but that don't mean these suck.
    - There's stlil good solid state distortions out there.
    - Overdrive pedals are not automatically needed in front of an amp, even to get djenty.

Roadsterjosh, Rex, Emperoff and 2 others like this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Yeah, some of those "classic" guitars aren't exactly "quality" in terms of fit or finish. Apparently Eddie called his original Frankenstrat "a piece of shit." I do think it looked pretty swanky with the 2 single coils (neither of which worked, I'm sure), and a black headstock'd Strat style neck.

[​IMG]

WarMachine likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Yeah, if you can't get djunty with a VHT, the amp isn't the problem. It is likely the pickup or guitar that needs help. Back in the day, there was a drastic difference between tube drive, solid state (ie, using diodes) distortion pedals, and digital OD/distortions. All three have gotten drastically better and closed the gap in a lot of ways.

c7spheres and oneblackened like this.
  6. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Putting an overdrive pedal in front of most high gain amps actually make them sound worse.

Just me, though. I like hearing those amps raw. Except of course, amps like Rectos or some Marshalls.

BenjaminW and WarMachine like this.
  7. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Tube preamps are overrated. Tubes help a lot in the power section, but solid state preamps sound just as good as tube to my ear.

Yonko, I play music, Merrekof and 5 others like this.
  8. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I guess mine is the same as yours. I've got a Jackson SLSMG with HZ pickups in, and i love the sound of that guitar. I've had it a long time and never once considered changing the pickups.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The V30 is fine as it is and i don't get speakers that "fix" the issues. They tend to make it sound more bland.

Chorus is the best effect.

Randall should've stuck with solid state and hybrid amps and make those sound good.

10. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

My favorite recorded guitar was, I'm told, gotten using an SM57 and a V30, but aside from this particular instance here I think that combo tends to sound shitty.

11. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Boosting amps is fine and sounds great when the amp has only two or three gain stages, but IMHO it sounds bad when the amp has lots of gain stages, even if you turn the preamp volume down low.

If you want to revoice a high gain preamp, you want a high or low pass filter or eq IMHO (or a different amp), not a boost pedal.

MASS DEFECT and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Lol. I have always loved Chorus, and find it funny how it has been coming back lately after years of hate. I rarely even use other Mod effects.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I have the EVH flanger and i use it for only 2 sounds; the Unchained airplane effect, and a chorus. :lol:

14. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Most people seem to love BOSS pedals, but i generally kinda hate them. I've yet to play anything from boss that really did anything for me, aside from the Tera Echo (which is pretty cool). I also do own the FV500, which is solid AF.

Ironically enough, one if my all time favorite tones is from HUM's Downward is Heavenward album, which one of their guitarists mainly used a Boss distortion/feedbacker pedal into a vintage 200w Orange. I actually bought that same pedal, but it sounded like complete ass, so i have no idea what kind of magic tricks they did to get that kind of tone from it. Probably had something to do with them running it into that Orange amp with massive headroom.

But yeah, I'd basically take any other pedal company over boss any day of the week, well, except for maybe Zoom. :lol:

15. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

So I have always felt the same way about BOSS since way back and completely avoided them. That is until last year when I picked up a DD-200. Now I own six BOSS pedals and love them all. I have had friends tell me that they don't even know me anymore.

16. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Ha!

Yeah, i haven't even written them off either, but every time i try something from BOSS, I'm usually pretty underwhelmed.

In fact, i tried owning the DD500 at least twice, thinking i could find what people love so much about it, but nope.

I really do think it's just the "BOSS tone" that i don't jive with. I just find the sound of their pedals to be sterile, boring, and lifeless. It's unfortunate, because i love how solidly built, inexpensive and readily accessible they are.

I will say I'm looking forward to trying their SY-1!

17. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

that and old Hiwatts

18. Spaced Out Ace

What model pickups are in the guitar? H4?

Alexi agrees, and I enjoy turning it on for certain riffs. They don't sound right otherwise.

19. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Correct. Tim Lash ran a sansamp gt2 into a Hiwatt. I bet that combined with Matt's Orange/Boss rig is what makes their sound so massive. Even live, their sound is just huge. They also have a pretty heavy hitting drummer!

20. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Even then as weird as the setups are they sound massive and huge and then tight enough for faster riffing like in the bridge of Stars or Green to Me

what cabs did they use?

budda likes this.