Unearth: Extinctions- whose heard it?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by BusinessMan, Nov 27, 2018.

1. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

so has anyone heard this all the way through yet? I haven’t had time. Always dig unearths stuff. I liked this single

Anyone have thoughts? Also sorry if already posted

2. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

i saw Unearth about a year or so ago, and i couldn't believe they were the same band i saw ten years prior. unrecognizable.

that song gives me Disembodied/Martyr AD vibes... at least the first minute or so does

3. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

In which way you mean that ?

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Ive only checked out one single - not as heavy as i was hoping for, but definitely not bad.

5. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Don't worry, there are songs on the album that are pretty damn heavy.

Collaborating with DL from The Acacia Strain was a really good idea. I've been listening to it at least once a day since it came out, and this is my favorite album since The March. Still sounds like Unearth, but they're going into new territory. Really liking how Phipps has expanded his vocal range on the lower side.

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The new album is really good, I've only given it a few spins but I like it a lot more than the last album. The vocals are so different on this album, you'd almost think it's a new singer. I didn't like them at first but after hearing the album the better pronunciation, range and dynamics suits their newer style more. They've also tuned to drop A which adds another new element to their music.

aesthyrian likes this.
  7. budda

I was not happy with the march :lol: I felt that WOR was their last good album since III.

From the single I heard he's still using the same style from WOR - did he switch it up again? I too enjoy the new depth.

8. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Got it on release day, love it, the vocals was unrecognizable at first, but it's definitely Trevor,
    my favorite thus far is Cultivation of Infection, King of the Arctic mainly because of the clean intros. I definitely like this one than the last two albums.

Lorcan Ward likes this.
  9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Sidewinder would be an awesome love track, so heavy and bouncy.

From DITL to WOR he moved to a higher harsher sounding style with poor pronunciation, on the new album he sounds near identical to current Matt Heafy in places. He's using a more guttural lower style, less aggressive and more dynamic so the prononciation is better. From what I read on his AMA that's exactly what he wanted since he wasn't happy with his WOR vocals. It was one of the biggest put offs people had for that album so he really took the criticism to heart and worked on it.

10. budda

If he went lower, Im for it haha.

Havent listened to trivium since ascendancy...

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Jeez... those vocals are just not for me. Yikes.

And I like Trivium... and I liked Watchers of Rule.

12. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I honestly didn't know the album dropped yet.
    Definitely gunna pick it up- Unearth is one of those bands that cannot make a bad album imo.

13. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Albums don't really drop anymore - they get uploaded.

14. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 Mobius Guitars

Man, I can not get into the vocals on this album. Listening to the pre-release singles, I thought that they either got a different vocalist or Trevor fucked his voice up. It's like they weren't processed enough / are too dynamic for this style of music and sound really out of place.

As for the rest of the album.... I'm not loving it as much as I was hoping to. I find myself skipping every third-ish song. Specifically, Survivalist, Hard Lined Downfall and Sidewinder are basically unlistenable to me, which is a huge bummer because Unearth is one of my favorite bands. Sorry, but Hard Lined Downfall sounds like a terrible Slipknot song. Unearth should be better than that.

The Oncoming Storm is, imo, their best album, with Watchers of Rule a close contender for second. That album is amazing. Maybe this will grow on my but It's not the go-to new album I was hoping for.

15. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I've listened through the album now. It felt a bit underwhelming. I'd liked the singles but I think the other songs on the album aren't as good. And now I put on some songs from WOR for comparison and yeah, wow. I think that's a much better album.

16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I'm pretty much hooked on this album. It's quite short so I feel like I've listened to it a million times already. Never really been a fan of the vocalist though, I don't like the "clean" screaming style he does. I like the guttural stuff on this album though.