Undervalued 7-strings to look out for

Blazin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd been inspired to ask about this because of a post made on the TDPRI forum on amps, why not ask about glorious 7-strings instead, especially as I'm considering my first.

What 7-strings are avaliable for bargains on the market, UK/EU in particular? Are there some underrated gems in the sub-£500 price range, how about the sub £750?
To be honest, I am already expecting *enter RG here*; but it'd be nice to see something different or unusual... and some models with floyds!

All info is appreciated!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Not really. This forum has been around for almost two decades and between that and ever-expanding internet, its easy to find out whats good and whats good for your money.

That said, the beginner tier guitars are better than they’ve ever been. Your $500 goes way farther these days.

Go play a bunch, that’s half the fun!

(LTD Schecter Ibanez jump to mind for FR)

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
The classic "Buy a used Prestige" still holds true, so there it goes... If you're looking for something a bit different from the RG style, I'd suggest you to look at the Prestige 7 string Sabers, meaning, Ibanez S5427 and S5527 models... These 2 differ on the trem, the first features a ZR trem while the second features a LoPro edge. Trash the original pickups for some of you preferences and you're in business in no time. On the later model you can also find a fixed bridge version with a purple or green burst and a top... gorgeous guitars.

I own an S5527 and it's just a shred machine. Depending on your pickup choice and combo options, you have a guitar for lots of different sounds and genres to have fun with.

Other than that, the gems, but not so cheap anymore, are the piezo loaded ones RG2027XVV, the UV777P with the LoPro, from early 2000, the RG1527 and so on... I'm sure you can also find other brands with interesting specs. If you can afford, a professionally made stainless steel refret on these is a super upgrade...

Wucan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Aside from the usual "used Prestige" advice, you can find some good Jackson and Schecter 7's on the secondary market for cheap relative to their quality. Something like a SLATHX7 or Soloist 7 from Jackson, or a Hellraiser from Schecter.

ESP/LTDs tend to be more expensive on the secondary market, but you can probably get a deal on a good one too.

dr_game0ver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Cort K47B and 57B models. Just slaps some actives on them and you're good.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
Not a surprise since it's Ibanez, but I really like 7321's. I have one that's totally stock that I really enjoy and another with a single EMG 707TWX-R in the bridge. Those two get just as much play time as an old 7420 and a 1527, sometimes more. The trem guitars are set for drop A, the others usually drop G or whatever tuning I want to experiment with.

The other one that gets a good amount of play is a bastard GRG7221 I pieced together. It's a Gio neck and body with a single Dimarzio Blaze in the bridge. My soldering skills aren't the best and it's a bit noisy at times but the clarity that guitar has in low tunings is ridiculous. (I'm thinking a good part of it is @odibrom's tip of using a 1 Meg volume pot!)

Blazin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn, thanks for all the advice guys.

I've learnt that, in short, not to over-complicate it; it's a good time to jump into 7-strings and there are a ton of established good options.
Since I'm basically certain that I am looking for a model with a Floyd Rose, Imma look for LTD, Scheter, Ibanez and Jackson (if I missed a brand to look out for, lemme know!)

The second is that the UK guitar market kinda sucks. It seems like my best options for these guitars are getting them from Japan or the states and import fees are gonna be brutal; I'm gonna be scouring Ishibashi and eBay for weeks!

Tho I will add, I definitely do want an Jackson but I'm already sure that I'm gonna make that a mod project off of a Jackson Mahogany DKAF8 (SS fret job, Fishmans, saddle replacement); I really like the idea of a compound radius 8 string that will just do it all in terms of metal rhythm.

Thanks for the advice so far, it's been great and has given me a few ideas!

(EDIT: Forgot to ask, how are Dean guitars?)

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn, thanks for all the advice guys.

I've learnt that, in short, not to over-complicate it; it's a good time to jump into 7-strings and there are a ton of established good options.
Since I'm basically certain that I am looking for a model with a Floyd Rose, Imma look for LTD, Scheter, Ibanez and Jackson (if I missed a brand to look out for, lemme know!)

The second is that the UK guitar market kinda sucks. It seems like my best options for these guitars are getting them from Japan or the states and import fees are gonna be brutal; I'm gonna be scouring Ishibashi and eBay for weeks!

Tho I will add, I definitely do want an Jackson but I'm already sure that I'm gonna make that a mod project off of a Jackson Mahogany DKAF8 (SS fret job, Fishmans, saddle replacement); I really like the idea of a compound radius 8 string that will just do it all in terms of metal rhythm.

Thanks for the advice so far, it's been great and has given me a few ideas!

(EDIT: Forgot to ask, how are Dean guitars?)
I frequently browse the used Ibanez market and can assure you there are good deals to be had from UK sellers on Reverb / eBay / Gumtree if you have patience.

Standard line and Iron Label 7-strings are readily available used. If you want Prestige and don't mind a bit of wear, an RG1527 will be fairly easy to find too.

(EDIT: I only buy Prestige / J. Custom, so can't vouch for whether a cheaper Ibanez is worth having).

Last edited:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
From experience, Jackson and Ibanez as an entry-level brand are unreliable. Most reliable are probably LTD. Schecter has good press but I haven't touched one in more than a decade so my opinion would be too outdated.

Isolationist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Schecter C7 Platinum for $600USD and it absolutely rips; granted, it doesn't have a lot of the nice premium features that are coming out of Indonesian-made models nowadays (locking tuners being one of them), but it feels solid as hell and seems like a good platform for modding.

That being said, I don't know the availability for that model in your market, as it was a Musicians Friend exclusive, and I'm fairly sure that it's not being produced anymore. If you do see one in the wild, however, I would try to see if you could get them to budge on 500 Pounds or less. Honestly, even at the price I bought it for, for a South Korean made guitar, it's a steal.

Gabial

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the newer more affordable 7 string from Jackson. My seriel number says CWJ195. but it is an awesome guitar. The best I have played so far. Dynamic, brutal tone if paired with an 8 band EQ. I have played a Shelter and was not impressed. I just finished my practice session. Began at 5 this morning. Been working on a John P. Dream theatre song. This guitar hits the notes on his Music Man almost identical. I love this guitar. It is a true hidden jem., It is solid, some weight to it. But the neck it true for metal, and the clean tone is like iceicles if dialed in right. Anyway, check it out. Hopefully you can play one to really appreciate. By the way... $299.00

20220530_111848.jpg

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You might have a tricky time finding one with a Floyd, and the necks are kinda huge, but the early 00 Schecters were great. You can find 007 Elites pretty cheap on reverb. Hellraisers and such abound also, just again you might have a hard time finding a Floyd.

Rex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the newer more affordable 7 string from Jackson. My seriel number says CWJ195. but it is an awesome guitar. The best I have played so far. Dynamic, brutal tone if paired with an 8 band EQ. I have played a Shelter and was not impressed. I just finished my practice session. Began at 5 this morning. Been working on a John P. Dream theatre song. This guitar hits the notes on his Music Man almost identical. I love this guitar. It is a true hidden jem., It is solid, some weight to it. But the neck it true for metal, and the clean tone is like iceicles if dialed in right. Anyway, check it out. Hopefully you can play one to really appreciate. By the way... $299.00

View attachment 108409
This!! I'm still stoked with this guitar, the neck plays like butter and pickups are amazing, I think they sound better than my LTD with a D activator in the bridge!! And I have bought mine for 140 Euros!!

Robstonin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No Floyd but Conklin Groove Tools GTG-7 or GTG-7T, if you can find one.

EDIT: actually there's one on the bay right now, bit too expensive though

Estilo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Used Loomis' or KMs. 2nd gee Loomis seems to be more popular but I don't mind my gen 1 at all.

Btw does anyone know if TDPIR access is limited to certain countries? I've been getting a 404 error everytime I try to go there and almost everyone from my country gets it too.