Underoath Disband - Farewell Tour 2013

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by nsimonsen, Oct 2, 2012.

1. nsimonsen

nsimonsen SS.org Regular

Don't know if anyone on here is a fan but these guys have been a huge influence for me for a very long time. Really sad to see them calling it a day.

From their Facebook page:

"Groundbreaking metalcore act UNDERØATH are formally announcing their plans to disband following a remarkable 15-year career that made a monumental impact on millions of fans and forever changed the face of heavy music.

“It’s sad to...
    say that we feel like it’s time to close this chapter, but we have never seen things more clearly,” says vocalist Spencer Chamberlain. “These have been the best years of my entire life, and I owe that to every single person who ever supported this band along the way. This wasn’t a quick decision by any means. It’s just time for us to move on.”

The band is closing an era during which it served as a pillar of the heavy music scene. UNDERØATH formed an indelible bond with their massive fan base through relentless touring in front of sellout audiences on six continents, as well as the early adoption and mastery of social networking that helped bridge the divide between band and fan - resulting in the band becoming one of the first with 1 million ‘likes’ on Facebook as well as a tally of more than 70 million plays on MySpace.

The Tampa, Florida-based group released seven acclaimed albums in total – including the Gold-certified mid-2000s releases They're Only Chasing Safety and Define the Great Line – that collectively yielded several groundbreaking videos, Grammy and Dove Award nominations and total sales in excess of 1.3 million units.

On the road to becoming one of hard rock’s biggest success stories, UNDERØATH created a deep and enduring culture surrounding its music and message and became that rarest of things in the music world: a band that actually meant something, to millions of fans around the globe.

UNDERØATH will cap its incredible run with the release of a career retrospective album, Anthology 1999-2013 – released November 6 on Solid State Records. With tracks culled from their 1999 debut, Act of Depression, through the instant classics on 2010’s Ø (Disambiguation), Anthology 1999-2013 is an essential collection of songs that celebrates the evolution of this seminal band.
    Pushing Anthology 1999-2013 beyond a mere retrospective, the release gives fans one last chance to hear newly recorded material in the form of new tracks “Sunburnt” and “Unsound.” Recorded with longtime producer Matt Goldman, the two new songs represent the final material recorded by the band.

"Over the past decade or so of our lives, we have been able to live a dream traveling the world, playing music that excites us, and meeting more amazing people than we could have ever fathomed," says keyboardist Chris Dudley. "This couldn't be a more bittersweet moment for us. We have accomplished more, met more friends, seen more places and have just done more than we could have ever imagined, and we really wanted to just go out on the highest note possible. That's why we have put together a group of great friends and musicians for what will be our final tour ever. We are taking every moment of this tour as an opportunity to say goodbye to you all, as well as celebrate what has taken place over all these years. The love we have and the debt of gratitude that we owe to all of you is not able to be measured in any way."

That farewell tour will commence in 2013, featuring fan-favorite songs that span the entirety of UNDERØATH’s career. Further details to be announced next week.

“We don’t take this very lightly and it’s heartbreaking for all of us,” Chamberlain says of the band’s announcement, “but all good things must come to an end. We love all of you and hope to see you again soon.”

Track Listing
    1. Sunburnt
    2. Unsound
    3. In Division
    4. Catch Myself Catching Myself
    5. Paper Lung
    6. Desperate Times, Desperate Measures
    7. Too Bright To See, Too Loud To Hear
    8. In Regards To Myself
    9. You're Ever So Inviting
    10. Writing On The Walls
    11. A Boy Brushed Red Living In Black And White
    12. Reinventing Your Exit
    13. It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door
    14. I've Got Ten Friends And A Crowbar That Says You Ain't Gonna Do Jack
    15. When The Sun Sleeps
    16. Cries Of The Past
    17. Heart Of Stone"

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Heartbreaking, they were my first venture into legitimately heavy music and hardcore after their initial release. So I carry a lot of nostalgia with me whenever I listen to UnderØath, hopefully I'll catch them on tour this last stretch.

And I'll definitely be picking up that record.

3. splinter8451

splinter8451 SS.org Regular

Ah man that sucks :(

These guys were one of the first heavy bands I got into back in High School. To be honest I fell off with them after They're Only Chasing Safety but still this sucks.

I'll definitely try and make it out to this tour.

4. Jake

Jake GAS Master

its a sad day :(

5. nsimonsen

nsimonsen SS.org Regular

Backed, very sad.

It's also very sad to think that in the last 18 months we've lost Alexisonfire, Thursday and Thrice as well :(

6. TheFerryMan

TheFerryMan Sauvage

sad news. and even sadder that anthology is missing the best underoath song "Movie for the sake of Motion".

at least to me it's the best.

sads all around

7. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

I didn't really listen to them much by the end of their career but the changing of times is still one of my favorite albums ever

8. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Define the Great Line was my introduction to screaming vocals, hell of an album. Shame to see them call it quits, will definitely try and catch them on tour.

9. DANiMALxMD

DANiMALxMD SS.org Regular

Dont even act like you didn't like They're Only Chasing Safety. Album ruled

10. nsimonsen

nsimonsen SS.org Regular

BEST CALL EVER!

11. Hankey

Hankey SS.org Regular

That sucks :/

Define The Great Line is one of my all time favorite albums.

12. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.

That sucks. :(
    One of my favorites in the sub-genre.

13. JoeyW

JoeyW SS.org Regular

14. Semichastny

Semichastny SS.org Regular

I'm on the opposite end here, I think their last two albums are great and their earlier material is unremarkable.

15. 1337

1337 SS.org Regular

Took me awhile to get used the the stuff they put out after Dallas left, but now I listen to They're Only Chasing After Safety and Define the Great Line everyday.

16. TIBrent

TIBrent Drop Z regular

I thought the last record was amazingly done! I was curious what they were going to do with Aaron out of the picture for clean vocals, but what resulted was this amazingly emotive vocal approach. Very bummed out about this. They are one of those bands that, even if I am not really feeling the style, each & every time they put out a new record I will go check it out, because they step it up & impress me even more.
    -Brent

17. AddisonsOwn

AddisonsOwn Active Member

once that drummer left it didn't seem like the rest of the band could hold the fans, they really got behind that guys faith. I liked his vocals mixed with the screaming, but their last album was great though! The guitars sound amazing on all their records too, surprised when they did say it was a layered recording and not a live double. Either way cool band, great career, it is cool to see a band like this call it quits when people still want more.

18. InfinityCollision

This is kind of where I fall. Last three albums were great overall, TOCS was meh, albums before that vary a bit. I'm curious if we'll see them in new projects after the tour; there's something to be said for going out on top but I'd love to hear more.

19. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Isn't there only 1 or 2 original members left in the band?

I liked that one tune, "In Division" or something....just listened to that last night actually.

20. InfinityCollision

I think the drummer was the last original member, and he left before the last album.