Uhm, need help.

Tj_saxon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok, so I want to start recording my guitar stuffs. Problem at hand. I, literally know nothing. I have been watching youtube videos and reading and trying to figure out daws and stuff like that but I can admit when I am just confused and that's where I am. Lol.

Ok to let you guys knw what I am working with I have a zfx stack pack by zoom. I for some reason can't seem to find a way to get a key for cubase 4. Thats out side the point right now (But if you want to help feel free lol). When I told the guys at the store they kinda chuckled at me... Is this program interface thing bad? Ok, also I am assuming I need a decently fast computer or maybe its just the program or something but any time I have more than 2 guitar tracks the guitar starts to pop. Like a crackling constantly going. I use this program and what not because it had instructions btw. I have it into my OLD tower, into a tv and a set of head phones till I can get some monitors. So any help with making the crackle going away would be cool.

Ok so pretty much after those questions would someone happen to know a link to like a KNOW ALL thread or video? I really honestly need help lol. I don't even know what to ask outside of this.

PlumbTheDerps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What do you mean by "can't get a key?" It comes with a key when you buy it, and it's usually e-mailed to you. What's the problem? I don't quite understand how things can be crackling, which is usually a sign of your DAW overloading your CPU, if you're saying you can't get into your DAW because you don't have a license key.

Depending on how old your computer is, you might just need to get a new one. I'm using a 2011 Mac laptop with 8 gigs of RAM and a 2.4ish ghz CPU and I often find myself having CPU issues by the end of the mixing process. What are your specs?

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
Yeah it could be your computer. Back when I was using IRs I was bouncing each track to audio to use fewer plugins so my guitars didn't crackle, and I still have some early mixes that have a couple minor pops in them.

Tj_saxon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought the program used, =/ I didn't really think about it. The guy wrote the key on the wrapper Cubase came in but it wont work ( I am assuming the key is only good for a one time use).

I can get into the program but that's because I am on a trail mode. I have like 3000 opens and and until December something. So I don't have much longer lol.

I am thinking I need a new computer. The tower Has one disk drive and a floppy disk drive to try and explain how old it is. It takes for ever to open cubase and then when I get zfx loaded up in cubase like the computer lags super bad.

What are IRs? And this isn't minor lol. Sounds like playing music in a car with EVERY speaker blown. It awful and really demotivational tbh. I think I am going to try buying a new tower.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
That popping could be your sample rate. But what are your comp specs? If I recall I had a similar issue with a computer that was underspec'd when trying to record and monitor simultaneously.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I bought the program used, =/

Sounds to me like you need to contact the person you bought it from.

It might be worth looking into Reaper. It's got a free trial that never expires, so you can technically use it forever that way, though it's worth the cost to support them. Lots of people on here are knowledgeable with it, so they can provide help when needed.

Tj_saxon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I honestly don't know the specs outside its from the late 90's lol. And I think I am just gonna get reaper.

tscoolberth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I honestly don't know the specs outside its from the late 90's lol. And I think I am just gonna get reaper.

Get Reaper, or buy a Alesis midi keyboard and get a stripped down version of Ableton. I recommend those two programs because they do no require huge amounts of processing power.

Then, get a used Mac Pro for about $450, anything after 2006 with the Intel chip will do. Windows machines need this f'd up program called ASIO running at all times and it sucks resources and always causes high amounts of latency. 8MB of RAM is plenty.

Get a simple but quality brand interface (I suggest Focusrite).

For a mic, SM57.

Then record, it'll sound like shit for years but you'll learn bit by bit.

Tj_saxon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get Reaper, or buy a Alesis midi keyboard and get a stripped down version of Ableton. I recommend those two programs because they do no require huge amounts of processing power.

Then, get a used Mac Pro for about $450, anything after 2006 with the Intel chip will do. Windows machines need this f'd up program called ASIO running at all times and it sucks resources and always causes high amounts of latency. 8MB of RAM is plenty.

Get a simple but quality brand interface (I suggest Focusrite).

For a mic, SM57.

Then record, it'll sound like shit for years but you'll learn bit by bit.

This is actually extremely helpful! Thank you so much, I am now on the search for a mac book and ironically just purchase a focusrite and got a mic. It was the senheiser one that is grey on one side and black on the other. I had a shure sm57 years ago but it got stolen =/ I may invest in another one day if this senheiser one doesnt sound good. I am going to go back to micing my amp because I just cant seem to get this sampling thing or what ever it is down lol. Again Thanks everyone so much for the help!