Ubar problems with k7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by WhoThenNow7, Mar 25, 2013.

1. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

ok, so... I've got an Ibanez K-7, straight to the point: I can't enjoy the ubar. And I know it can't be used the same as a standard bar.

Anyway, the point is, I'm just wondering if maybe there are certain ways to use the ubar... I just feel it's pretty useless.

2. Lord_Kain

Lord_Kain Nov Schmoz Ka Pop?

it was simply a way to palm the bridge to get the trem effect without hitting the fine tuners...if you dont dig it, pop that sucker out and replace it with a standard bar...that was just the Korn guys style

3. WhoThenNow7

I don't know if it's just the way the tension is set up, but it just seems like it's so tight, nearly impossible while really going at it to get the effect I'd get if I had a bar. I'll just get one of the standard black bars that came with it.

4. ShiftKey

ShiftKey SS.org irregular

well the pivot distance using the U bar is alot shorter than using a normal trem arm so the reduced leverage will certainly make it feel alot harder, have you another trem equipped 7 to compare to?

as a side note if your springs are already almost maxed out in the cavity it certainly can feel harder to move a floating trem. one of my 1527's springs were a bad production run or something weird as they were terrible and had to be maxed all the way in the cavity to float properly and were very stiff to move, replaced them with some new stronger ones and it flutters like it should.

5. WhoThenNow7

I don't have another guitar with a trem to compare it too. And yes, I understand distance is a lot shorter and leverage would be less.. But what really got me is I was thinking, how in the hell do these guys even use this thing if it's so stiff. I'll get the bar and try it out, see if it gets any better.

What springs did you get, just in case I have to go that route. I really don't think I will.. this guitar is in excellent condition. But you never know. Right now the trem pretty much looks flat. I don't know if that means it's maxed out, still trying to learn about floating bridges. but it looks the way you'd see the guitar if it were in a picture online, so I don't think there's something wrong with how it's set up.

6. Fantomas

Fantomas blah

I have had one for years and I never use the U bar, I feel like it's just a gimmick.

You get a lot more use out of a standard trem and you can still get the same effect of the UBar by just pushing down on the bridge.

7. ShiftKey

ShiftKey SS.org irregular

umm, i bought something like these
    Gldo Tremolo Spring Extra Hard - Thomann UK Cyberstore

or it might have been them actually, i have 3 in straight lines, using standard tuning (bEadgbe) on an rg1527, using the standard elixir 7 string set.
    oh and a shaller sureclaw as well but that doesnt really effect the spring tension just makes it a piece of piss to refloat the trem when i change things

8. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I replaced my K-7 Lo Pro with a regular all black Lo Pro.

It's intention is for slight vibration of the strings, not full on Steve Vai use.

9. WhoThenNow7

thanks for the replies. I was also thinking that it was only intended for slight vibrations because there's no way anyone could use it like a standard bar.. Kind of dissapointing, I can just bend a string and get the same effect than the ubar with less effort.

10. Tesla

Tesla Augmented User

Not gonna lie...when I read Ubar, I assumed 'Uber' and expected some catastrophic problems!

11. WhoThenNow7

Haha sorry about that. I'm sure others are disappointed this post isn't as exciting as the title may lead to believe.

12. Tesla

Tesla Augmented User

I'm sure everyone will agree when I say I'm glad it's NOT Uber.:yesway:

13. Geetarguy

Geetarguy SS.org Regular

I have a k7 and use the U-Bar system. It is different and an adjustment. Also what string gauge are u using? That might also be why it is so stiff? I had to build up my palm strength to really use it tho.

14. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

U-Bar. U-Bar. U-Bar.

Grammar is key.

15. WhoThenNow7

I got the guitar about a month agoand haven't replaced the strings yet, but I think they are just your standard gauge strings: .10 on the high e, etc.

I may just need to use it for what it's meant for. Just slightly pushing down on the trem.

16. silent suicide

silent suicide Winter is coming

I am using it for slight pushing/pulling aswell..
    I played with a hardtail for a couple of years, and got the K7 a month ago aswell..
    Loving the possebility to do a small divebomb for an in/out-tro..
    Never even looked at the normal arm because the U-bar isn't in the way and perfect for me..

17. WhoThenNow7

The u-bar is great for those small bends.. and it looks pretty badass too. But I feel like I'd be happy being able to go all out with it.

18. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

Could you just replace the U-bar with a regular Edge/Lo-Pro trem arm? I know that the U-bar has just one bushing, while the regular Edge arm has two, but if the diameter and the depth match, I cannot see a reason why it won't work. Maybe you'd have to replace the arm holder, too, but it would still be cheaper than replacing the whole trem with a Lo-Pro.

19. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

A U-bar is just a tremolo arm bent in the shape of a U. Uses the same bushings as a regular arm.

You can even have 2 arms in the K-7 Lo Pro at the same time, not sure why though.

20. WhoThenNow7

I don't know for sure, but on ebay they sell the arm specifically made for K-7's/Apex's.. Found one for 40 bucks. I definitely have no desire to change the trem.. I like it a lot just didn't really see the point in the u-bar. but after giving it a chance for what it's meant for, it's not too bad after all.