type of glue for a nut?

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tiny bit of superglue on the edge of the nut. Do not put anything on the base, just the edge.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The nut doesn’t need to be glued in; the string tension should hold it in place while the guitar is strung up.

If you want to glue it, I’d only use a bit of white glue or wood glue so it’s easy to remove down the line if/when you need to replace it.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The nut doesn’t need to be glued in; the string tension should hold it in place while the guitar is strung up.

If you want to glue it, I’d only use a bit of white glue or wood glue so it’s easy to remove down the line if/when you need to replace it.
i was originally thinking white elmer's glue, but i've read it both ways on that or a tiny bit super glue.

I don't like having them not glued in. I have another guitar that i've never glued the nut in, and it's annoying when changing strings 'cause it just falls out.

I haven't glued it in yet on my ibanez. I just restrung it without for now since I don't have any glue either way

aWoodenShip

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've always heard something similar. That you should just use wood glue to keep it from moving too much or coming off when there are no strings on it. But otherwise it doesn't take much and the strings hold it in place.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use CA, it holds fine and breaks cleanly when it's time to replace the nut. Wood glue is a bit on the strong side for the application, and white glue doesn't break away as clean.

Purelojik

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am not a doctor but would generally recommend against putting any kind of glue on any sensitive areas of the body.
I am a doctor and highly endorse this mans warning against putting CA glue on any sensitive body parts.

that being said, like most people said , just a dab or two at the ends of the nut slot is enough. you'll want the ability to tap it out easily later on if the slots become too deep or if you want to experiment with radically bigger or smaller gauges for whatever reason.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OK, so if the CA glue will be easier for removal, definitely use that.

Just don’t do whatever it is that Gibson does (epoxy?). You may need a saw, pliers, and a chisel to change the nut out down the line.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
OK, so if the CA glue will be easier for removal, definitely use that.

Just don’t do whatever it is that Gibson does (epoxy?). You may need a saw, pliers, and a chisel to change the nut out down the line.
Headstock removal

Byle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always use titebond original wood glue because it is easier to work with and the nut can be removed a lot more cleanly