Twonotes Captor vs Captor X - Sound Difference?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BadSeed, Jun 7, 2021.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Wondering if these two units sound the same, but the Captor X just has massively increased functionality, or if there is a difference in their sound signatures as well?

I've always felt the original Captor I own sounds slightly dull, especially when compared to the Suhr Reactive Load box.

Anyone owned both, or know if there is any difference in the tone?

2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I think the question should be what will its use be?
    1. Is it to gig and play out, so you can bypass the cab mic and go direct to console? Captor X is the answer.
    2. Is it to ho record your tube amp? Get the "regular" captor and use the Wall of Sound plugin.
    I have 2x Captor 8ohms, those without all the IR and MIDI features so I can record my stereo setup. I use a Triaxis+G-Force+2:Fifty rig and have been recording 6 tracks at the same time so I can blend them in the DAW to get a more rich and complex tone: I record the Triaxis' record outs, both Captors' compensated outs and both Captors' Dry outs. The Dry channels are then processed with the Wall of Sound plugin (power amp simulation off). I'll then balance these 6 tracks almost hard pan L or R with an uneven level so the left channels sounds different from the right one. Their mix is sounding awesome, but unfortunately, I nothing to show yet (I'm waiting for the drummer to finish his tracks...:()... soon, I hope...

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  3. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Nope, not my question.

I understand the functional differences as stated, purely interested in the sonic differences of the loadbox itself for direct recording.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    So, you want to compare the dry out of both units for recording purposes? I can't answer that since I have no experience with the Captor X, but I'd say it to be the same...?

5. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

I’d you don’t need the bells and whistles, the Suhr RL is a much better approximation of an actual speaker load. The Captor omits the low resonance, which requires an expensive inductor, so it can feel a bit anemic, IMO.

I can’t speak for the X, but I can’t image TN made the load better while also adding all the features they did. It would be much more expensive otherwise.

odibrom likes this.
  6. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

https://support.two-notes.com/knowledgebase.php?article=352

Not sure if you’ve read through this article on the differences or not. The Captor X allows all their convolution stuff to be used, and is loaded with 32 cabs; where I believe the Captor did not allow for any tweaking whatsoever. So a dull sound could be remedied by moving the dual mics or simply applying some eq in the app.

7. skullfxr

skullfxr SS.org Regular

I like my RLIR a lot. It feels pretty natural for me. I have no experience with the Captor X but I am very happy.

8. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

I have the Captor X and it fairs very favorably to my Fryette PS-2, It is an extremely well done load box, IME. Dunno how it compares to the other model, although I would assume they are very similar as they are probably based on the same base design. It does have dials on it so you can adjust the load characteristics a bit which is really nice...

Both the Captor and PS-2 are pretty great tools in their own right, I think. The PS2 is fantastic attenuator and power amp too.

All that said, different load boxes will definitely be different even if they are well designed. Even different cabinets with the same speakers, etc will have slightly different impedance curves.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021