Two-piece band, debut EP from the fjords of Norway.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by pkgitar, Oct 18, 2016.

1. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

Disclaimer: Our music is not black metal despite the abundance of churches.

My band, Flom, which consists of myself and a drummer released our debut EP today. As we do perform live, which is what the music is intended for, some of the more technical guys might not find it as inspiring. I have to be able to sing and play guitar at the same time, you see! :D

Regardless, we're super proud and stoked that we can share what we love doing.

Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5uwIO4BaJSvbzysU94zAwr

iTunes (which made our name out to be F.L.O.M for some reason):
    https://itunes.apple.com/no/album/elders-ep/id1163522401

Youtube playlist including a ghetto one-take music video if you're lazy:

07adams88 likes this.
  2. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

This sounds lovely. :) Sing and play...mega talent. :) Your guitar tone sounds killer as does the whole production. I'm going to check you guys out on youtube right now.

3. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

agree with Hellbound, the production is great. Musically it's not my cup of tea particularly but you do this style really well. Trying to think who you remind me of, it's that sort of slow simple doomy death sound a la Grave or Lake of Tears or some other Black Mark label band, though the faster song (razor) is a bit of a change-up. Hope you do well, i'd love to hear you with a second guitarist or keyboard player to really expand your sound (maybe like Acacia, one of my fave albums from 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTIZ9xCeNk)

4. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

"it's that sort of slow simple doomy death sound"...took the words pretty much right out of my mouth. Yes not exactly my cup of tea as well but not because it is bad or anything I have just never been able to really get into that I guess it would be called "doom death" type of metal...slower ya know...but I know of many others that do indeed love this style of music and you play it very well.

I wish you guys the best. :)

5. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

Thanks for the kind words! It's my production (except for the mastering) so I appreciate that :)

Thank you! I doubt we'll be expanding. We love the simplicity both musically and logistically (SO much easier to set up practice times!).
    Digging Lake of Tears, btw!

6. ChaNce

ChaNce Auto-banned?

How did you do the footage? iPhone? I say that with all reverence. It looks great.

7. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

Thanks! We shot it using a Sony Xperia Z5. Our friend was running around like Gollum to get the angles haha.

8. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
    Some of it reminds me of Mastodon. In a good way.

I get confused over what genre is where but whatever you wanna call yours I'm liking it :metal:
    It is the right groove/speed for a girl to shake her azz to :)

Will look you up on BandCamp and Amazon, I'm not a big iTunes user for downloads.

Add a killer bass guitarist to your band and done - for me anyways. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of scary cookie monster vocals however this works for me just fine.

Huh, I think I like your band :lol: :bowdown:

Yep, diggin' this for sure... if you can get yourself on BandCamp or Amazon I'll gladly pay to download Elders 4 songs.

9. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

I get why it reminds you of Mastodon. I won't tell you, but I know. We realized it later on ourselves haha.
    We don't really know where to put ourselves either! I hope it's a good thing.

You know what, just for you (and everyone else, of course), I've uploaded our music to Bandcamp. It's up on CDBaby as well where it can be purchased for $5 (which I forgot to link initially), but I set the Bandcamp pricing to $1 and pay what you want above. Let the people decide! Right?

Links: https://flomband.bandcamp.com
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/flom

Love the train of thought at the end haha. Thanks for the kind words!

10. Ocean Planet

Ocean Planet New Member

Man, I've been lurking this board for about a year give or take... and I had to register just to tell you how much I dig this.

Threw you guys a few bucks and downloaded from your band camp.

More please!!!!!! Keep doing what you are doing!!!

11. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I like it!

You might consider getting yourself a Boss OC-3 or Behringer SO400 (the clone of the Boss) to dial in an octave down on the bottom string or so. These pedals allow you to set the top range which will be down shifted an octave, which will keep you from getting mud from guitar chords being shifted. In fact, you can add it at or near to the front of your signal chan, and continue the direct out to your current chain, and run the octave down out to another signal chain.

Good job!

12. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

Holy smokes! I saw the email. Thank you so much, man. Going from lurker to member is a big step haha. We've definitely got more in the works. Appreciate it! :bowdown:

Thanks, dude! That's interesting. The recordings have (real) bass, of course, but live I split my signal with an ABY-pedal and go into a bass amp for the low end. It's been the most fool-proof way of doing it since I do play chords and that way its kept more or less intact.
    I actually bought the "A Little Thunder" pickup because of its "lowest string priority mode". At the time it was too tall to fit the cavity of my Ibanez, but I tried it in another guitar. It made a lot of noise and didn't track as well as I would have hoped, so I returned it. I'll have to go to a store that has the OC-3 and give it a shot. I just never think to take my guitar with me if I go out for anything other than practice :)

13. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Originally brutal and tight as .....

Sounds huge:yesway:

Dig your vocals man!

Great playing buy both you guys! I'll definitely be supporting this through itunes.

14. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

Thank you! Appreciate the compliments!

As I wrote in the PM, and to anyone reading this. For the time being the iTunes link and the F.L.O.M mixup will lead to supporting the wrong artist, seeing as there already was someone by the name of F.L.O.M with a few songs on there. Ours is just Flom. Therefore I'd recommend Bandcamp or CDBaby at the moment for anyone interested in dropping a few bucks on us. I've contacted the distributor for a fix!

15. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau SS.org Regular

I really, really dig the vocals!

16. Ocean Planet

Ocean Planet New Member

Hell yeah. You guys have a good formula going.

Now we'll expect a full album and tour in 2017. :lol: (just kidding of course, unless you want to :hbang:)

17. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

Thank you!!

Thanks, I'd like to think so too! Heck yes. Virginia first stop!

18. 07adams88

07adams88 SS.org Regular

The first one I was like... meh. Then while I was reading Elders came on... Love it! The Letter is sick as .... too, love the kinda doom metal feel to it. Awesome job and your production sounds great.

19. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

Thank you! Appreciate it :)

20. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

I dig it!