Two-Notes Torpedo Captor

maggotspawn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Test #3, quick and sloppy. Peavey XXX boosted with an SD-1. Wall of Sound for the IR's.
I have a little noise issue with the XXX. It doesn't happen with my JSX. Something I'll have to sort out.

buriedoutback

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^^^ nice work man!
So I'm in the middle of recording my bands new EP and I'm (finally) very happy with the Captor now. I have it hooked up with a TRS cable as per the manual and I re-kajiggered the cab/mic settings in WOS. I'm loving the tone! I'll try to put up some clips if i get some time.
Here a couple pics of my current recording setup. imgur :(
Amp: https://i.imgur.com/pm4EgRl.jpg
Pedals/Captor : https://i.imgur.com/wGxp6gA.jpg
Captor: https://i.imgur.com/Mt2SFEG.jpg
WOS in reaper: https://i.imgur.com/WZ5cRvq.png

tldr: Buy the Captor. It rules.

edfig1989

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nicee!! I'm finally getting a good level on the captor as I figure it out. Although i Have to ask what exactly is the difference between the dry and XLR output , XLR without sim of course. I read that the TRS may cause a ground loop and it's better to use the phantom powered XLR out to solve this. But is it sending out a weaker signal than the dry output on the captor?

buriedoutback

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I liked the sound of the trs a lot more than the xlr. The manual says the trs is better for use with an interface, but I suppose every setup is different. I didnt have any grounding issue. I am using a gate to tame any noise tho.

edfig1989

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hmmm ok it must be my home electrical. I tame the noise with my ISP Pro Rack...without the G, but i have to turn the knob all the way to the right almost to get rid of grounding issues and hum, and I mean almost to -50 db. There is ground in the house I already checked with my testers. It just makes me uneasy that I have put the noise gate all the way up on my amps fx loop :C I'm hoping it's not the captor because i can not hear all that noise thru my Vader 4x12.

maggotspawn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hmmm ok it must be my home electrical. I tame the noise with my ISP Pro Rack...without the G, but i have to turn the knob all the way to the right almost to get rid of grounding issues and hum, and I mean almost to -50 db. There is ground in the house I already checked with my testers. It just makes me uneasy that I have put the noise gate all the way up on my amps fx loop :C I'm hoping it's not the captor because i can not hear all that noise thru my Vader 4x12.
Are you using an AC adapter or phantom power?

edfig1989

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are you using an AC adapter or phantom power?

AC Adapter for the ISP Rack Gate, AC Adapter for OD and USB power for interface using the dry TRS out on the captor. My bad when I said I has to dial to -50 db, it's 10db that i have to dial to rid of noise :/ ... it's terrible, I'll try messing with the 3 ground lift buttons the Noise gate has.

edfig1989

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sounds like your using an AC adapter for the Captor. Try powering it with phantom power with the XLR.
Nope, no AC adapter on the captor. The amp is the only thing giving the captor its power, but I will run some tests if it makes a difference in noise with XLR. Thanks!

crwnedblasphemy

all things metal!
Reaction score
Getting some mixed reviews on the sound of this thing, and the attenuator tone. I'm being cautious now darn it.

maggotspawn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Getting some mixed reviews on the sound of this thing, and the attenuator tone. I'm being cautious now darn it.
I don't like the attenuator with my amps, (XXX and JSX), but the direct tone is awesome. The cab sim is O.K. with some EQ tweaks, but where it really shines is with IR's, especially WOS.

aqa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used my 5150 evh 50w with a tube screamer, ownhammer IR's. I haven't used the attenuator yet, really don't care to much on that feature