Turning Dimarzio Mud Lab into real Crunch Lab 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Belensky, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Belensky

Belensky SS.org Regular

7 sting version of Dimarzio pickups often uses base plate made of fibreglass with layer of cooper. I'm not really good in physics but fibreglass and copper creates some kind if magnetic interference that makes pickup to sound a bit more muddy than 6 stings versions of the same pickup(that uses nickel silver base plate) So by recommendation of my good friend, I decided to upgrade my Crunch Lab 7 and Liquefier7 with Nickel Silver Bass plates. Now pickups have a bit more clarity and top end. I hope it helps some of you. It's very easy upgrade.

ImNotAhab, Manurack, Emperoff and 9 others like this.
  2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Super cool video. I think the upgrade is totally worth it!

Mud Lab made me giggle.

Manurack and setsuna7 like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

It would also help if you put the rail side closer to the bridge. That helped brighten up the d-sonic when I had it.

setsuna7 likes this.
  4. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Dude, you have all this sweet expensive gear and you can't afford a pair of jeans without holes in them?
    They are only $7 at Walmart bruh

5. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

I always wondered why the 7 string version sounded so muddy compared to the 6. Very interesting. The 6 was always one of my favourite pickup and I couldn’t dislike the 7 more, no clarity at all on the B string and the other 6 strings were just dull and lifeless.

Manurack likes this.
  6. Belensky

Belensky SS.org Regular

baseplate is the answer, but all 7 string pickups tend to be more darker and muddier than 6 string versions, pickup is bigger, so there is more wire, more resistance, bigger magnet etc, it's all changes the sound. for example liquefier 6 has alnico 5 where is liquefier 7 has ceramic magnet. so they will sound different.

Manurack likes this.
  7. dirtool

dirtool SS.org Regular

I've heard that ceramic is cheaper, so dimarzio swapped all alnico to ceramic in 7 strings models in order to cut cost.

8. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Never found my CL/Liquifier 7s to be muddy.

Admittedly, the 'liquid gainy lead sounds' from the liquifier description often mystified me a little- there's something a touch missing on my sound but I'm sure I could mess with the amp to do it (RG1527- Basswood into a Nomad 45 1x12" combo).

That amp sound on the vid does sound like it's got a lot of bottom end in the eq and probably more saturation than I'd use for rhythm..

9. Belensky

Belensky SS.org Regular

comparing to some other pickups it could be muddy, also it heavily depends on other gear you use. On my other hamer guitar I have Seymour Duncan PATB-1(parallel axis original) sounds way more clear and tight than crunch lab. Dimarzio illuminator also tight pickup, but for my taste they seem to be overly tight where is becomes a bid dead. baseplate replacement is just a little trick to open up highs a bit more.

10. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

This is very interesting!

I thought that what created interference in the magnetic field was metal baseplates (duh) and plastic ones didn't so they actually sounded brighter. I went into this rabbit hole looking for what I'm missing in my Elysian Trident IIs, which have 3D printed ABS plastic baseplates.

Care to tell where did you get the baseplates for dimarzios? The only 7-string baseplates I'm aware of are sold by Mojotone and they have square tabs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  11. Belensky

Belensky SS.org Regular

I got mine at mojo tone and shaped them a bit to fit my JP

12. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Aha. Fairdo's. Indeed- there's an art to matching pickups to wood and also having the right amp/pedal to get the sound you want (the whole journey of chasing 'tone' I guess). I found the Evolution bridge way too precise in my RG-550. With basswood being quite a bright and energetic wood, it really did emphasize those tops and highlighted more in my playing than perhaps I'd prefer :D. There's a reason people put ToneZone in the bridge of those models!

It is interesting about the baseplate changes though.