Tuning Question

ESPlayer

5 Minutes Alone
Reaction score
Hi guys! :yesway:

I really want to put my K-7 in F standard (F A# D# G# C# F# A#), so what would be a suitable string guage? Bearing in mind the K-7 is 25.5", would a 13-56 with a 72 hold up?

Thanks dudes.

ESPlayer

5 Minutes Alone
Reaction score
You probably could get away with that bro... try it and find out.

OR

Get an 8 string....

Thanks for the reply dude :yesway:

That's the plan, just trying to experiment with as many tunings so I can find my Nirvana (so to speak)

My worry is that the strings would be too light for said tuning, but then again, I used a 13-56 set on my 6's when I was tuning to A#, they were 25.5" and I loved it. If a a 72 is too light for F, I can purchase either a 74 or an 80, but I'm thinking an 80 would be too much of a jump between the low B and low E strings.

Thoughts?

Atomic_gerbil

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hm...I've tuned to F on my set of 10-68's, and it held together pretty well, the amp didn't though, crappy roland and its static-y low end :lol:

(although my Hellraiser is a 26.5" scale, and my definition of floppy strings is a little warped, so I hope i helped!)

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I dunno bro.
Thing is your in the bass register and tuning B can be problematic enough (regarding the perfect tension thing). ESP get away with a 68 on their FM-408. I think a 72 would probably work...
That said i havent done serious experimentation into F... too low in my oppinion.

Give it a crack. you think you PU's will hold up with all that grind, because if your going to put that on a 7 you will be filling your nut aye. Would need a replacement to go back and some SERIOUS truss rod work.

Hay i know its a n00bular question but how do you get the 'Happy'
thing to appear under your avatar.

ESPlayer

5 Minutes Alone
Reaction score
Hm...I've tuned to F on my set of 10-68's, and it held together pretty well, the amp didn't though, crappy roland and its static-y low end :lol:

(although my Hellraiser is a 26.5" scale, and my definition of floppy strings is a little warped, so I hope i helped!)

Thanks dude! :yesway: I'm thinking these strings might just do the job. I'm not a light guage player but I'm not a heavy guage player either, I'm sort of in the middle so this might just work :metal:

I dunno bro.
Thing is your in the bass register and tuning B can be problematic enough (regarding the perfect tension thing). ESP get away with a 68 on their FM-408. I think a 72 would probably work...
That said i havent done serious experimentation into F... too low in my oppinion.

Give it a crack. you think you PU's will hold up with all that grind, because if your going to put that on a 7 you will be filling your nut aye. Would need a replacement to go back and some SERIOUS truss rod work.

Hay i know its a n00bular question but how do you get the 'Happy'
thing to appear under your avatar.

I see dude, thanks :) Do the RG2228's use a 68 for the F# aswell?

I've got the stock DiMarzion PAF-7's in there which I think sound great, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to hold up.

File a locking nut? :scratch: I didn't think you needed to do that.

Thanks guys :yesway:

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Sorry dude. Forgot.
Thought it was a fixed.

You may find you need to drill out the tuning head with such a thick string and your bridge will need adjusting. My mate who uses 11-68's on his RG had to have that done... but hes a bit of a nutter.

the 2228 Has stock 9,11,16,24,32,42,54,65 gauged strings. But its a 27"er.
as i said i dont tune that low but the lower you tune the more it can affect the clarity of your PU's.

There is a BIG frequency diffrence tuning so low, because as you probably know your one whole tone above a Bass's Low E and 5 and a Half tones from a regular B. Anyway give it a go bro, cross fingers it doesnt sound like mud.

ESPlayer

5 Minutes Alone
Reaction score
Sorry dude. Forgot.
Thought it was a fixed.

You may find you need to drill out the tuning head with such a thick string and your bridge will need adjusting. My mate who uses 11-68's on his RG had to have that done... but hes a bit of a nutter.

the 2228 Has stock 9,11,16,24,32,42,54,65 gauged strings. But its a 27"er.
as i said i dont tune that low but the lower you tune the more it can affect the clarity of your PU's.

There is a BIG frequency diffrence tuning so low, because as you probably know your one whole tone above a Bass's Low E and 5 and a Half tones from a regular B. Anyway give it a go bro, cross fingers it doesnt sound like mud.

No problem dude :yesway: Well the strings have been ordered along with my preferred 11-49 with a 64 to tune to Drop G# (G# D# G# C# F# A# D#) if I don't like F standard.

Don't want to ruin the K-7's asthetics, but I'm seriously tempted to buying some BKP's.

Cheers bro! :yesway:

ohmanthisiscool

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
Im currently tuned Drop F with a 63 on a k7 and its fine. its a bass string and sounds a bit dull so I can't say if its the PAFs that sound dull of just the string. My guess is the string is the culprit. Also I like G# standard and with the Drop F#. with the amount of drop tuning I use I should really get a hipshot for my non-trems:lol: