Tuning 5 string bass for 8 string guitar

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by roncarlston, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Orgalmer - Nice recordings. I correctly identified which was which before realising you had written it up.
    Out of the sub and the normal I prefer the sub. I am a sub tuner myself too. I find it just opens up this real nice growly tone in the low mids, and also leaves a space which is more useful for the guitars. The downside is it can get a bit quiet (especially on a sub-par listening system). It is a very nice sound though and I much prefer it to the regular a lot of the time.
    The octaved one sounds real good and makes up for the lack of perceived volume. I'd be interested to hear a direct comparison between sub tuned and pitch shifted, without the original higher octave there. To see if that improves upon the issues of thick strings and their darker tone etc.

2. Orgalmer

Orgalmer Chuggasaurus Rex

I actually did try pitch shifting the SR305 and BTB776 from B0 to E0, but it struggles to pick up and/or voice the lowest few notes correctly. If you had a really good pitch shifter you might be able to get away with it, though. Maybe a bass with a MIDI pickup could give you endless pitch shifting but I don't have that on hand to try.

3. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

Don't forget I mainly play 30" basses. Either in standard or drop d, and I pitch shift to taste from there. Stays good until about 14 St below standard.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Octave dyads are a good way to make very low notes more usable, this is often done on pipe organs, it could be done with EBEAD tuning and be playable because the 2 Es are on the same fret, it would also probably sound better than an octaver.
    My advice to original poster: follow your intuition and do what you feel, if in doubt buy a single E0 string from Kalium and test it. Some like a fairly high tension but with a careful light technique you can go as low as 30 pounds tension, which is a .182 or .190. Kalium recommend exceeding 30 pounds with their strings.
    Tension chart http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart130105.pdf