Tuner Suggestion?

ayambakar

The Giver of Likes
Reaction score
So I have the budget of US$120 for this.
I have no idea what should I get, just because there are so MANY guitar tuners out there.
I have a seven, tuned AEADGBe so I will need a tuner that will detect that low A...

Any suggestions? Based on value for the price, sturdiness, battery consumption, accuracy, reliability, visibility on daylight / night stage, compactness? Thanks! :bowdown:

JHolt6505

Reaction score
Go with the Boss Tu 2. I have it and its great. Its very easy to use and is really visible if its dark. Best tuner ive ever used and it has never let me down :)

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
There are literally hundreds of tuners in your budget, everyone will have theirs they recommend. They are all designed to be bright, visible displays, sturdy build etc, so as long as you don't buy anything cheap (anything TU3 and above) whatever it is will be transparent if you put it after a buffered pedal.

I personally preferred the bigger more blocky display of the pitchblack, and don't really like the TU3, but the TU3's good, so's the planet waves, Peterson Strobostomp, TC Polytune (there's a 7 string update comin out and it works like a usual tuner for single notes).

Just pick which one you like the look of an don't cheap out! I guarantee as people post here everyone will have a reason why theirs is better than the rest :lol:

ayambakar

The Giver of Likes
Reaction score
So I lurked on evilBay...

TU-2 = 75$
Pitchblack = 60$
Turbo Tuner = 130$

is the difference for the Turbo Tuner worth it?

BabUShka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Its just a tuner, whats the deal..
I've got Boss TU2, great tuner.. But the tuner in my POD XT is as good as this one.. Both do their jobs.

zappafile

Reaction score
The problem with cheap tuners is their actual pitch accuracy. They tune well in relative terms, ie to themselves, but will not be accurate to other tuners. I have a friend who stacked a bunch of TU2's together hit a note and they all gave different readings. This is a problem when a band is running all their own tuners. I do like the TC electronics polytune as a chromatic needle tuner. It's multi mode is a bit clunky. I personally think a good rack tuner is the go though. Like the korg or a Peterson strobe if budget allows.

xjxason

Reaction score
I have this Zoom G1 fx pedal, it was the first pedal I ever bought, came to realize everything sucks on it EXCEPT the tuner, the tuner is the most accurate tuner I've used lol so if you can find a cheap one of those I'd go for it. I've dropped this thing tons of times and it's still tickin.

Osharan

Reaction score
get a Snark clipon tuner from Amazon. They're dirt cheap and work really well. Good deal for $10.00. All good reviews.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The problem with cheap tuners is their actual pitch accuracy. They tune well in relative terms, ie to themselves, but will not be accurate to other tuners. I have a friend who stacked a bunch of TU2's together hit a note and they all gave different readings. This is a problem when a band is running all their own tuners. I do like the TC electronics polytune as a chromatic needle tuner. It's multi mode is a bit clunky. I personally think a good rack tuner is the go though. Like the korg or a Peterson strobe if budget allows.

The 'inaccuracy' you mention, there's probably as much change in tuning inaccuracy on your fretboard due to equal temperament and the string stretching and contracting when you hit it.

You only need insane accuracy when you're setting up, after that you obviously need it to be good and sound right, but anything from Korg or Boss and upwards will be just that.

OP If you can get the Pitchblack cheapest, may as well go for it. I love my Pitchblack and my guitar always sounds perfectly in tune with it. I tune after ever song/take anyway. Intonation is more important anyhow, if you do your own setups I don't suggest cheaping out too much on your bench tuner. This is one of the many things about electric guitars that are just a compromise.

Latest posts