Tube amp on a budget

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mithologian, May 21, 2011.

1. Hyliannightmare

Hyliannightmare Banned

my mate hase a valve king and with a boost and wah and maybe a verb pedal he plays pretty much everything from death metal to country

2. TomasO

TomasO SS.org Regular

Maybe he'd trade just the amp plus some cash? Then you can pick whatever cab you want.

Craigslist usually has some nice stuff every now and then I'd check there, you might find a great deal

3. sell2792

sell2792 SS.org Regular

So you'd recommend an Ultra over an XXL?

4. TomasO

TomasO SS.org Regular

Well, as I haven't played an XXL I can't really say.

I DO love the crap out of my Ultra though but tone is subjective, see if you can get a chance to play one or both of em. But IMHO the Ultra series is a lot of amp for the price.

5. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

I'd probably say get the Ultra over the XXL. Also the XXL is solid state and you said you were looking for a tube amp... it is a great solid state head though.

Personally I'd just keep looking a bit longer.

6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If it sounds good, who gives a fuck. :shrug:

7. Gearwhore37

Gearwhore37 Member

Hey man. I would much rather get a Bugera 6262 or 333xl than the Peavey Ultra Plus. I've owned all 3 and the Ultra Plus is not that great in the metal department. It sounds ok but it lacks something. The Bugera 6262 is pretty much flippin awesome. Cleans are pretty damn good too. I currently own a Bugera 333xl and couldn't be happier. Awesome all the way around. It has a shitload of gain on tap but if you find yourself needing more "crunchy pick attack" throw a metal zone in front for a boost. Turn the distortion all the way down, the level about noon and the EQ at noon and adjust accordingly. If you wanna know what that sounds like, check out Kingdom of Sorrow's CD: Behind the Blackest Tears or Crowbar's:Sever the Wicked Hand. They aren't using a 333xl but are using a metal zone for a boost and the pick attack is BRUTAL. Crushing tone man. I'm a new guy to this forum but I've been playing for 21 years and I have been constanly questing for the "perfect" tone. Who isn't? but I'm pretty happy with the gear I currently have. As far as eq, get a parametric eq and you will never need another eq again. $.02. :hbang: