Tube Amp Distortion Noise

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by LaPerraLoca, Nov 20, 2012.

1. LaPerraLoca

LaPerraLoca Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, i own a B-52 AT-100 All tube Head, and matching cab. i retube with a set of JJ's from EuroTubes and everythings ok. I really like the sound of the amp.

But after being on/off in bands, and shiet. i started a cover band project, and when i started using my halfstack again, i started to noticed that the dirty channel on the amp, makes an anoying hum/noise when im not playing.

I do have a ISP DECIMATOR runing on my Pedal Board, and doesnt cut THAT NOISE. i also tryed on the FX loop, and on a super high setting it does cut all that noise, but all the guitar dynamics and tone is screwed.

I also run my guitar straight to the amp, and the same noise happens. also with just the guitar and the decimator. I also tryied several guitar, and with diference in volume, the same noise is there.

So its a noise from the AMP, not the guitar, or the Pedalboard, right?

is this common? or there is a way to get rid of it?

I know my amp is not the best out there, but its been solid working from the last 6 years or so.

My guitars are all "good": Prs SE, Epiphone Zack Wylde, LTD-608B to name a few

Is there a way around this noise? is the amp not working well? do i need to retube?

The other option is to get a good Distortion pedal, and forget about the dirty chanel in the amp but i love way too much my "Tube amp distortion"
    But maybe you can tell me whats a "good" Distortion Pedal.

I play, Deftones, SOAD, KORN in Covers, but i also play for me Whitechapel and Whatever "CORE" Style music you may like.

Thank you for reading. :)

2. goldsteinat0r

goldsteinat0r Zib Zob Zabbity

Hi gain amps fizz. Just kind of a fact of metal-life. My 5150 is a noisy bastard and I don't even use that much dirt.

Running the gate in the effects loop is the way you're supposed to do it, because the noise comes from the gain, which comes from the preamp tubes, and the loop bridges the pre and power amp sections. Also is there any way you can curb the pre-gain a little? Usually doing that will cut down on noise.

3. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Yep, run the decimator in the FX loop and tweak both your preamp gain and the decimator's settings down to the minimum necessary to be effective. You should be able to retain almost all of your playing dynamics that way unless something is wrong with your preamp.

4. kreaturesleeper

kreaturesleeper SS.org Regular

Like others have said, the effects loop should be your Decimators home. The way I've curbed the hiss with high gain amps is with a noise gate in the loop, pre gain set very low, with a boost pedal punching the preamp in the mouth. On my 5150, I keep my pre gain at 3, and boost with an SD1. If anyone were to play it and say they needed more gain, they really mean practice.

5. goldsteinat0r

goldsteinat0r Zib Zob Zabbity

Not to derail the thread but is this on the crunch or lead channel?

6. kreaturesleeper

Lead channel. I run my rhythm channels pre gain at 4.5ish (SD1 is on 100% of the time), and am still able to roll my volume knob back and get sparkling cleans. I run a compressor along with my noise gate in the loop however, which is imperative to my clean tone.It gets very muddy and harsh when trying to play cleans without them.

goldsteinat0r likes this.
  7. LaPerraLoca

LaPerraLoca Well-Known Member

ill try that with my TS later this night.

And what would be a good replacement for distortion on a pedal?

8. kreaturesleeper

Since you have a tube amp and prefer the saturation and natural signal clipping, I'd just turn the preamp gain down, put your tubescreamer in front of it, dime the level, set the drive to 0, and tone to taste. Then work with the decimator in your FX loop. Keep in mind, everytime you change something in your signal chain, your current setting become basically null (depending on the items specific function.) Set your amps controls to noon, and dial your tone back in from there. Especially since you plan to run a noise gate in the loop, your overall volume might drop a bit depending on how its set.

9. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Before I got my GSP1101, I would use a BOSS NS2 because it supports the 4 cables method.
    I connected my guitar directly to the NS2 to detect if I am playing and then run it's switching circuit in the loop of the amp to simply silent the preamp when I am not playing. Worked much better than a decimator IMHO. NO FIZZ at all!

10. Bloodbath Salt

Bloodbath Salt Title-less

If you're using an adapter(s) to power your pedals, that might be the source of the noise.