Tube Amp Disasters

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Josh Lawson, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Josh Lawson

Josh Lawson Banned

One day long ago, I was playing though a '73 Marshall Super Lead that caught on fire and shocked the crap out of me. Another time I turned on my PV Butcher but forgot to plug in the speaker cable. My tubes burned out and I needed a new transformer....$$ ouch $$!!

Has anything like this ever happened to you? Does anyone have any good stories that they'd like to share?

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

before the highschool coffeehouse, after my band had already graduated (can ya tell they needed people to play? :lol:) we had set up the gear on the "stage", and one of my friends who was running the sound accidentally knocked over my halfstack. i had my back turned at the time and was talking to a guitar student of mine, or a friend or whatever... but i knew it was my amp that fell. and i also knew it would power up juuust fiiine.

walked over, asked what happened, looked at my now-bent-to-shit patchchord, looked my amp over for anything loose or unglowing.. grabbed my les paul, turned it on, ran through all my channels, twas fine.

peavey: built like fucking tanks. :yesway:

3. Demeyes

Demeyes SS.org Regular

I haven't had any problems yet but the other guitarist in my band has had his JCM800 crap out on him twice live. Both times the amp needed a good service to get it up and running again.

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

one time i touched an el84 when it was on

it hurt

5. Matt Crooks

Matt Crooks User Contributor

My Mesa Triple Rec fell off of my cab during load in. It bounced off the concrete, spewing tubes everywhere. I gathered up the (fortunately unbroken) tubes and put them back in.

Fired up just fine :metal:

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I once had two pints of beer spilled on top of my old TSL-100 head 15 minutes before we were scheduled to play a toga party. I was running it through a Recto 2x12, and had my guitar leaning against the front of it. A few minutes below, one of the frat members had come over with a couple beers for me to get me started in the set, so I put them on top of the (top vented) amp. My bassist, meanwhile, was setting up next to my amp. He opened a case, which nudged my guitar, which started sliding across the front of the amp... It fell over, and clipped the beers on the way down, dumping 32 ounces of beer on red-hot tubes.

Two tubes shattered and a fuse blew. I had to (literally) run across campus with my buddy's Line6 Spider combo just so I'd have something to get through the set.

In the end, the amp was fine - the circuit board didn't get touched, so it was a simple matter of cleaning beer from the chassis and replacing the tubes and fuse when I brought it in to a tech. However, it kind of sucked at the time, lol. My band was shocked I took it as cooly as I did, but the sad reality is we had a couple hundred beer-fueled people waiting for us, so I didn't have time for anything more than finding a replacement ASAP.