Trying to get that Deftones tone from the late '90s! (SC-20, JMP-1)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

Deftones fan here. I've tried to capture Stef's guitar tones (especially the ones from his early JMP-1 era's) for a bunch of times but since I have a JMP-1 and LTD SC-20 I thought it would be fun to try again. The signal chain is explained in the video but I tried to keep everything as basic as possible.

The basic chain is:
    -ESP LTD SC-20 Stephen Carpenter guitar (Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge)
    -Marshall JMP-1 Preamp
    -Marshall DSL 50 poweramp (into the fx return)
    -Fractal LB-2 Reactive load
    -OwnHammer IR's from the Legacy Studio Mix Collection (412 MAR V30-CH)

I really did my best to absolutely minimize any post-processing but some very subtle eq helped the guitars to sit better in the mix. Anyway, all the details are shown in the video.

I'd love to know your thoughts! Check it out:

Randy, viifox, Matt08642 and 4 others like this.
  2. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Sounds great! Steph switched to the EMG 81 for White Pony, and I'm pretty sure he used the ADA MP-1 on AtF. Think he used G12T-75s in his cabs before going the modeling route, too :)

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Thanks! Yeah that's what I thought but I've read conflicting information. I did try the T75s and you can hear them in the video as well but I just preferred the overall sound of the V30s. I read that Stef used V30s, K100s, T75s and CL80s throughout the years but it's hard to say what ended up on the actual records.

Maybe I'll do another one but with the EMGs in the future...

Veldar and akinari like this.
  4. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

To my ear the T75 IR had a bit of a softer upper mid that sounded (from memory, anyway) a bit closer to the Around the Fur tone, but I thought all of them sounded great, honestly. I think Steph may have been boosting the JMP-1 with a Boss FZ-2 for a lot of the rhythm tones on White Pony though, unless you can get that kind of chunk in the low end by going straight in.

Veldar, TheUnvanquished and Guitarjon like this.
  5. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I always assumed he used that fuzz for special sections that needed a unique sound. The JMP1 sounds pretty chunky when you go straight in tbh. In fact, it's one of the most chunky amps I have!
    However, I've never tried the Hyper Fuzz myself so who knows, maybe he did use it for his main rhythm tones after all...

6. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

There's this grinding sort of "nang" sound in the mids on White Pony that has me curious about it being boosted. Check it:

Full disclosure: I've never played through a JMP1 so you've definitely got a leg up on me in the experience category :lol: it sounded fantastic in your video, but comparing the tones between albums makes me wonder...

Guitarjon likes this.
  7. TheUnvanquished

TheUnvanquished SS.org Regular

Yeah the T75 tone was the closest speaker, IMO. Definitely not a V30 for the Around the Fur tone. At least to my ear.

Guitarjon likes this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I think thats just the natural voicing of the JMP1. It's super, super, suuuuper mid heavy and can be pretty tight.

Veldar, Guitarjon and akinari like this.
  9. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Yeah, could very well be! That's why I included that speaker comparison so thanks for sharing your thoughts! :) At first I did land on the T75 but since I was going for a broader sound that also encompassed the WP era I figured I'd go with the V30 this time.

It has a lot of mids indeed and it's sooo tight! I bet a lot of modern players would like these amps a lot in fact.

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You need the Rocktron Intellifex to complete that sound. :agreed:

I was amazed when I got an Intellifex how much the presets pretty much made everything sound like ATF and WP, lol.

Guitarjon likes this.
  11. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Didn’t Stef give a JMP-1 rig to Wolbers for Archetype? I don’t know how well regarded that album/tone is but I always loved it and that’s the story I heard.

Apex1rg7x and Guitarjon like this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I remember reading Stef was the one that helped COW set up his guitar rig when he moved onto guitar, since the Deftones and FF guys were pretty close.

Veldar, Apex1rg7x and Guitarjon like this.
  13. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Great video!

Around the Fur is by far my favorite deftones album, and the guitar tones were a huge step up from what was on Adrenaline.

But yeah, i was always under the impression that the Marshall preamp/power amp combo was the bulk of Stef's tones.

Guitarjon likes this.