Trying to get that barky Slipknot tone

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by shnizzle, Oct 18, 2019.

1. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-19-2/wip-for-a-new-project

I´ve been fiddling a lot trying to get close to that Slipknot tone from the .5 album. I settled on Reaxis with Ownhammer impulses and aggressive EQ curves. But I´d appreciate some input on it.

The recordings are not final. The solo is super sloppy and the strings aren´t exactly fresh.

2. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Sounds very close IMO, just gotta brighten it up more as the recording is dark and muffled sounding. Raise the treble and maybe cut a little bit of low mids and I think you're pretty much there.

Rev.

3. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I'm not sure that I hear Slipknot in that mix, at least from the .5 chapter. I feel like it needs a bit more saturation and like the above guy said, its kinda dark. With that said I think its a killer starting point and the drums sounds cool as hell. Keep tweaking it and it is definitely gonna be killer.

4. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Getting there but the bass freqs need to be a tad tighter

5. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

thanks a bunch everyone for the feedback. here´s tweaked mix:

https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-19-2/wip-for-a-new-project-mix-2

i´m also fully aware i´m not gonna exactly nail their guitar tone. it´s not like i have a orange rockerverb and 4x12 lying around :p
    but i´m quite satisfied with where it´s at right now. i´ll go forward with this mix for this project.

6. fps

fps Kit

Touch more gain, touch lower bass, but it's really getting there. Their tone is super organic, and then the pick attack is mega hard. In fact I wonder if pick attack alone could get you closer. It's sounding great though!