Trying to buy (or build) a double neck (6 / baritone 6)

scott123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I decided recently that I simply must have a double neck guitar with a standard 6 string for the upper neck and either a 7 string or a baritone for the lower one (ideally a 27" or 28 5/8" scale for the lower one).

The only brands I've found that make a double neck that includes a baritone neck (most seem to be 12 string/6 string) are danelectro and gretsch. While these look very cool, they're not really my style. I'm a fender guy and sort of an Ibanez guy. I'm more interetsed in either a strat or tele style, maybe a super strat.

So, I'm leaning towards buying a warmoth double neck strat body and getting a bartione conversion neck and a standard strat neck and putting everything together, but that is a little more than I'd like to pay, considering I'd still need to buy the pickups and all the hardware and electronics.

So I've also been looking at cheap double neck guitars from Ali express. I figure these are complete garbage but maybe I could use the body from one as a base. But the ones I've seen that are strat/tele style don't look like a standard strat/tele neck would fit them.

I've also looked at gear4music double necks and build kits from solo, but these have me wondering if a neck designed for a strat would fit on these too. In all of these cases one of the necks is a 12 string, so it would be necessary for me to switch it out with a warmoth conversion neck.

Are there any baritone double neck guitars on the market I may have missed? Or any ideas that would get me on the right track for a cheap build?

scott123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm also looking at this Zenison guitar as a base for this build..

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know what happened to reverb search, when you used to search "double neck guitar" a couple years back, that's what it would show you, now you get zero useful results.

Thanks Etsy! But if you work at it, you might dig up something decent

penguin_316

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How about just a regular 6 string with an evertune, and a quality pitch shifter? Seems more doable, infinite options, etc.

Or if you are wanting actually different tunings on each, there is also the line 6 shuriken and I think it’s 27” by default but you can program each strings tuning.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Absolutely the most important question is have you played a double neck before? Because they are a completely different beast and just don't with for some people. Why do you want the standard guitar on the top neck, for example?

oracles

Australian in Canada
Reaction score

penguin_316

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you can type out the dimensions you’re looking for, as well as a general shape or reference image, I might be able to whip something up on my CNC.

(Very little time to do something like that but I’d be willing to at least cut you templates or an actual body given a few weeks/months) I work a lot out of town.

scott123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input, I ended up buying a Zensison 12/6 on eBay. I read lots of good reviews about these guitars but they are insanely inexpensive so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm definietly planning on changing a lot of hardware and likely both necks.

How about just a regular 6 string with an evertune, and a quality pitch shifter? Seems more doable, infinite options, etc.
I've played around with the digitech drop pedal but it just didn't sound right to me, especially with the full band. It sounded somehow out of tune no matter what I tired, like thier were some overtones that weren't properly shifted down or something.

Absolutely the most important question is have you played a double neck before? Because they are a completely different beast and just don't with for some people. Why do you want the standard guitar on the top neck, for example?
I'm fully prepared for the possible outcome where this just doesn't work out for me and I end up trying to sell it, but I just have to try it. As for the standard guitar being on the top that was a strictly aesthetic choice that I am reconsidering. Seems more practical to have the standard one on the bottom.

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn that thing is super sick!

Just remove half of the strings and go for it!!