Trivium Thread

Dawn of the Shred

Sweet Solos and Beautiful Melodies
Reaction score
I went to see them on the 20th in little rock and they killed it! It was just the 3rd time i've seen them live and i was really impressed. Didn't see a thread so thought i would start one.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Any excuse to talk about trivium is a good one. Ascendancy, The Crusade and Shogun are great thrash albums, and I don't know what to call In Waves, but it's amazeballs. Really should learn some of their material.

PunkBillCarson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I remember the first time I ever heard Trivium. I was at a friend's house and the only thing I knew about this band was they were in Guitar World's best new guitarists or something. Well, he put on a Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation and my jaw just dropped. I think this was right after Ascendancy released. Crusade released, loved it. And then Shogun dropped and my jaw was on the floor once again. It took In Waves a little while to grow on me, but it did and after that, the record that Draiman produced, I didn't really pay attention to. I heard Silence in the Snow recently and it's a good song, but I'm honestly still a bit leery.

Dawn of the Shred

Reaction score
First time i heard them was right when Ascendancy came out, still one of my all time favorite albums.

extendedsolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I loved Ascendency (even if the song structures are the same on every song). Even The Crusade and Shogun were incredible. They kind of lost me after that, or maybe I just "outgrew" them.

Genome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw them in 2005 at a tiny venue in Oxford about a month or two after Ascendancy was released, and it was brilliant. Chatted to them afterwards. I think about 3 weeks later they played that famous set at Download and then they took off after that.

I enjoyed The Crusade, Shogun, and In Waves. Unfortunately nothing has really grabbed me since.

Grindpa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Huge fan of Trivium. Can't get enough of Matt's singing voice. Only record I dislike is The Crusade, everything else is stellar.

RUSH_Of_Excitement

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The first song I heard from them was Strife, and I was absolutely floored by it. Probably one of my favorite songs, especially because I heard it about 3 years ago when I was at a point where I was getting tired of the same old school metal bands I was listening to. They opened the world of modern metal to me because they're proof that modern metal bands can be just as good and in many cases better than the classics. I saw them at Mayhem fest in 2014 and they were one of the main reasons I went in the first place. I was probably the most excited one in the crowd since they were the openers on the main stage and not many people knew them I think. Admittedly their old albums don't resonate with me as much as the stuff from vengeance falls but they have a ton of great songs. Hope I can see them again soon

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score
What I like about them is that they're a band that have a specific focus for each album, so you're not going to get the same thing every time (for better or worse). This is what I loved about bands in the 90s (Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam); a 'central' sound that made the band identifiable, but a new intention or direction for each album release.

So, it's actually worth reading up a bit on what they wanted to do with an album before they release it. Even though I hadn't really heard anything since Shogun, I found myself checking out a few articles and interviews in the lead-up to Silence in the Snow, and it makes the whole album make sense. Heafy was talking a lot about the mythical story the ideas come from (Japanese demon), and trying to write deliberately minimalist songs as a challenge. When the album first came out I saw a lot of people saying that everything sounded good, but that it was too all too 'easy'. In other words, they achieved their goal with the album. Minimalist song structure that's still interesting.

I'm definitely just a casual fan of Trivium, and it's really because of the effort they go to in keeping themselves on their toes. Even when I'm not into one of their songs, I feel like I can still understand and respect what they are doing.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Every album is a bit different, but you still know it's them. That's what I love about them. Also I love clean singing in metal, so I couldn't care less about them not screaming. Loooots of people will say "older is better" but that goes for pretty much any band IMO, and I'm so glad they don't evolve as slowly as a band like Unearth (another one of my faves, but some of the material is hard to differentiate).

Genocyber

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Trivium are pretty good. Ascendancy was just awesome. They did loose me for a bit but Silence in the Snow really appealed to me...

beneharris

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This may be an unpopular opinion - but Shogun was awesome. How a band who is otherwise so unremarkable put an album like that out, I will never know.

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This may be an unpopular opinion - but Shogun was awesome. How a band who is otherwise so unremarkable put an album like that out, I will never know.

How is that an unpopular opinion?

Shogun is their masterpiece. Progressive Thrash Metal at it's best. After that it was a constant downhill.
Now they are one of those random metal bands like A7X, Alter Bridge, you name it.

Shogun was stellar, though and is still my favourite Thrash record of the modern era.

In fact I was a huge Trivium fan up to Shogun. In Waves was a heavy hit and miss record and everything after that became more and more predictable.
After Silence in the Snow I totally gave up on them and I am not even following what they are up to.

Guess they took their Metallica fandom a little bit too far.

I always tend to say that Trivium had a direct relief though, which is Sylosis.
In fact the music Sylosis makes is exactly what I hoped Trivium would do after Shogun.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
How is that an unpopular opinion?

Shogun is their masterpiece. Progressive Thrash Metal at it's best. After that it was a constant downhill. Now they are one of those random metal bands like A7X, Alter Bridge, you name it. Shogun was stellar, though and is still my favourite Thrash record of the modern era. In fact I was a huge Trivium fan up to Shogun. In Waves was a heavy hit and miss record and everything after that became more and more predictable.

All of this. I don't even bother with anything after Shogun as I know it's just going to let me down.

scrub

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a huge trivium fan, but I agree. Shogun was the masterpiece. Love Ascendency as well. But stuff after Shogun just hasn't done it for me. I can't say enough about Shogun. I put that album among any of the great thrash albums of the last 20 years.

Dawn of the Shred

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised at how many agree that Shogun is amazing. It is the best they have done so far for sure.